Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question. Tonight, a local brewery posted on Facebook they had 2-4 bags of used grain to give away each week. I called and the grain is mine, going forward. Chicken feed is $18.00 a bag at TS. Free Chicken food is my thought. I have 10 chickens, so I am spreading the extra grain around to my friends who have chickens sharing the free bounty. I just do not know how much of this I can give then daily to cut down on my feed bill. Any help out there? And how many days would wet mash be safe to feed before it needs to be in the compost pile? Any help would be appreciated.

·
Registered
1,193 Posts
As much as they'll eat, I'd think. It's just grain. Lots of folks wet their grains to promote hydration in the heat. I've always been told 1/4 lb feed per bird daily, so I'd probably think about that much and adjust based on how they react. 10 hens, so roughly 2.5 lbs daily ish & ~18lbs a week. A lot is going to depend on how "wet" it is too. If it's soupy, I'd probably strain off some water first. If it's anything drier than wet sand, you might need to add a little honestly.

Store excess in the freezer / fridge until use. You could also dehydrate it for future use if you wanted to. But it should be okay in a cool area for 3-4 days too. Of course, inspect for signs of mold etc & if present toss.

Chickens will eat darn near anything & do okay. If you notice a big drop in egg production maybe go back to half mash half layer feed, but otherwise just give mash & calcium. Baked, powdered eggshells mixed into the mash will do just fine for calcium.

I'm jealous!

·
Registered
4,328 Posts
IDK about wet grain, I’d sure be willing to buy a fridge if this is a reoccurring thing.

Dried Distillers Grain ( DDG) is higher in protein than the original grain because the carbs have been fermented away

·
Badass Moderator 🤷
9,876 Posts
My chickens would go nuts when I broke out the brewing equipment.. They knew a treat was coming... they paid me back with larger eggs the next few days.
Isn't it funny how quickly they learn?? I bring home produce in these plastic totes. They will come SCREAMING around the corner like their tails are on fire when they hear me drop one of those crates on the patio. It is hysterical to watch! 😂😂

·
Criminitly!
769 Posts
We free range our chickens in the summer and let them out every evening. We still give them feed but letting them out cuts WAY down on feed, less than half. We also give all vegetable matter to the chickens we would throw away, excluding onion and pepper. And if we have something in fridge no one likes or close to expiration it goes to the chickens. We’ve been known to walk the fields after the combine to pick up cobs on the ground. Ive been seeing people putting the Japanese beetle traps out to capture them them and feeding them to the chickens by the bag full. We throw some grass clippings in their run When we don’t let them out. I’ve planted sorghum and threw the seeds in the fall to them as a treat through the early winter. Man, I‘ll throw any and all scraps to them. I’ve pulled off the road and picked a bunch of red clover in a culver before. Bean tops, peach skins, cherry pits, water Mellon rinds, potatoe skins, pineapple skins, expired nacho and bbq chips…… do what you have to to keep them fed. I think it also keeps them laying better. We have three year old hens still giving us eggs every other day. If it’s something that is stale or hiding in the fridge, I turn it into eggs. We sell eggs at three dollars a dozen. We keep about a dozen a week for ourselves. That money may no be a lot but it does help with the price of chicken feed.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts