Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My wife and I about to have a discussion about the urgency of long term prepping(2 years of food). She thinks we need to do it right now. I think we have some time to gradually prep.

I think the Greatest Depression has begun. However, the Great Depression, it took a few years for the economy to hit bottom. I do not see rioting in the streets occurring within the next 6 months. It will take some time for the job losses to cascade.

On the other hand, if Obama is determined not to be legally qualified to be president, I think we will have a month or two of civil unrest. Thus having guns and a couple months of food is a good idea.

We are set to last a month or two. My question is how quickly do you think we need to have long term stores assembled?

·
2,978 Posts
As quick as you can put them together.

Since no-one can predict the moment it will all break loose, there's no time like the present to take your first step down what will certainly be a long road getting all that stuff together.

·
Registered
19 Posts
As quick as you can put them together.

Since no-one can predict the moment it will all break loose, there's no time like the present to take your first step down what will certainly be a long road getting all that stuff together.
Well put Ghost, I agree. As national events unfold the more urgency I feel in preparing.

·
Getting Ready
1,025 Posts
On the other hand, if Obama is determined not to be legally qualified to be president
huh???

im pretty bad off when it comes to preps, mostly im acquiring knowledge and practicing using what i have. with a good source of fund i think you could be ready for a few years with a few months work though.

T

·
Registered
578 Posts
To me, the logical thing is to do it now and rotate as you use. Better safe than sorry.
This is a good strategy. Also, food is not getting any cheaper so stocking up now is a hedge against inflation.

For example: I see all kinds of people panic buying guns and ammo now, after the election, at higher prices. I stocked up prior to the election at a lower cost. I think about food stores in the same way, cheaper now than when the panic sets in.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
It would be nice to be able to gather every prep you will need in a short period of time. But even if you gradually gather your nuts for the winter, you are still moving in the right direction, and will be better for it if the SHTF next week, next year, or 10 years from now. Just keep moving, step by step, whether it is at a trot or a gallup.

·
NRA Instructor-Ohio CCW
3,169 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
He may have been born in Kenya. I am not predicting anything, but nothing would surprise me.

An add on question, if things get bad, I think living an self sufficient "Amish type" lifestyle is the way to go. When do you wind down your career and move out to a small farm?

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
The Amish have too many puritan religious hangups though. I don't think they would appreciate me talking thier 18 yearold daughters into taking all thier cloths off for me.

·
Registered
18,822 Posts
It seems like almost everyday another big company is cutting 8,000 jobs or more.
Banks trying to adjust mortgage rates so people wont loose their homes, pretty hard to make the new home payment when you've just lost your job.
Where do you store your preps when your living in a tent city on the edge of town ?
I think the handwriting is already on the wall. It's coming sooner rather than later.
I wish I would have gotten more information from my folks about the "Great depression"
and how they handled it. My dad was a mechanic and my mom worked for Western Union. I remember her talking about her "Victory" garden during WW II. and ration stamps. Should have asked more questions.
Good luck to all of us..........Dennis

·
Registered
1,004 Posts
I would start now. It takes time to prep and prepare. I think you'll find that you can't find everything you want at one store so you'll need to time to shop around.

·
Unlocked and loaded
1,161 Posts
I might suggest,

If your planning to retire soon, put your LTS foods and rations in a small storage unit with double locks on it the type you have to drill to get off. The sooner you get started, the better you will sleep at night. I know I did. That was back in 99, with the Y2K thing. I now feel much better than I would have then if twctaeawki. Obama is an illegal immigrant. Just like his Aunt.:taped:

Keep your senses sharp and your weapons clean, loaded and ready.

·
Haha
3,407 Posts
On the other hand, if Obama is determined not to be legally qualified to be president,
Here is my opinion. Stock up on food and concentrate on weapons to protect yourself. Obama has been given the top secret briefing already. He now knows the secrets. If he is found to be unable to be president then he will be killed and probably made to look like a lone gunmen thing. I don't think this will happen but yah never know.

No matter what, Obama is loved and these people who support him will encite riots or even revolution in their cause. It is best to be well armed and stocked for such insurections.

-Cade

·
Crazy old man
1,285 Posts
Get ready as fast as you can. Think about DHL and SUN MICROCHIPS just laid off 16000 people, Curcuit City is closing 150 stores. The BIG THREE are nearly bankrupt. As fast as you can,get as many things together as you can.:cool:

·
Registered
154 Posts
This is just barely the beginning of things to come. Everyday it seems we are hearing of big companies laying off, filing bankrupcy. I am finally hearing people express their concerns and they are saying it's only the beginning.

·
Registered
143 Posts
I doubt that many of the people here even understand what is and will happen to the economy. Many, I have noted, can only say that SWHTF. Let me simply say this: there will not be an instantaneous collapse of the economy. America has entered into a deflationary spiral that will last for months, if not a year. The government will then print money to further fund its zombified state, somewhat like Japan inflation targeting, and will ultimately pave the way for hyperinflation, which will occur over a protracted period.

Learn economics and study your history, people. :p They may not be quite as vital to your survival as the information presented on this forum, but they certainly have their place.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts