Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
so i have this crazy idea to paint my car with flat black and flat od if the shtf. I am wondering how much i will need to coat my car completly. I am guessing 20 cans of black and 20 cans of od to cover my bright red chevy impalla.

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I wouldn't do it unless the shtf completely and i am bugging out to my bol. Unlike some people i wont be bugging out until i know its really necessary. I would do it to made my car more subdue my planned stop points on the way to my bol are in the woods. My car is so bright that even cammo net is useless.

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
I see. So making purdy is not an issue... If it came to that I would go with a fast ruffing up of the stock paint with sand paper or steel wool, then a couple cans of primer so the paint sticks. Spray cans go pretty far if your just looking to do a quick conceal job. maybe 5-7 cans each after a quick primmer.

Tape the windows you wanna see out of....

Good luck if need be!

·
Registered
1,245 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
i am not really looking for pretty i am looking for quick and dirty to do after loading out my vehicle for the drive to my BOL. but i am hearing a consensus of 5-8 cans. The shtf i am talking about is the total kind like complete economic collapse or something as detrimental.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
so i have this crazy idea to paint my car with flat black and flat od if the shtf. I am wondering how much i will need to coat my car completly. I am guessing 20 cans of black and 20 cans of od to cover my bright red chevy impalla.
Question 1 - are you spraying, brushing or rolling?

·
Registered
38 Posts
Question 1 - are you spraying, brushing or rolling?
He mentioned spray in the title.

So how long do you guys figure spraying the OP's car would take, from start to finish? And do you allot time to dry?

OP, do you have a not-so-conspicuous location to do this transformation or is this going down in your apartment parking lot / suburban driveway? I would say that if you wait until the S has actually HTF and you don't have an out-of-the-way place to do this you could be presenting yourself as a target.

V

·
Liberty or Death!
679 Posts
I've painted cars before with actual compressor and spray gun before, and I've used the spray primer in a can for spots. I used a little less than a gallon on a car after it was mixed with the thinner and hardener. I would guess around 10-12 cans of spray paint but that's just a guess though it depends on the nozzle on the can depending on how efficient the spray is dispensed. good luck.

·
Banned
4,312 Posts
He mentioned spray in the title.

So how long do you guys figure spraying the OP's car would take, from start to finish? And do you allot time to dry?

OP, do you have a not-so-conspicuous location to do this transformation or is this going down in your apartment parking lot / suburban driveway? I would say that if you wait until the S has actually HTF and you don't have an out-of-the-way place to do this you could be presenting yourself as a target.

V
Sorry, I meant spray can or spray gun.

Honestly it would be cheaper to buy a compressor, spray gun and a couple of tins of paint than to try and do the job with spray cans. I'd go a couple of tins of fence paint and a roller before I'd try spray cans.

·
Registered
65 Posts
get caps for the paint called "german fats" or "rusto fats" it will dump the paint faster in a softball or larger spray I could paint a car with a german fat in about 4 to 5 mins with about 5 cans

·
Leave Me Alone !
907 Posts
I had to laugh when I saw this post, because there is a crazy ******* guy down the street that did this with his pick up truck. He came by one day to pick up some junk we had and a few things we were getting rid of, and decided to see if he wanted them and give him the stuff. He collects junk and dumpster dives. As he pulled up in his toyota pick up, he said, how ya like my paint job I did on my truck. I said, it looks pretty good, which it actually did. He said, I only got one spot and one can left. He pulled out a can of Rustoleum and started spraying a spot on the front fender. He said he went around until he found a hardware store or WalMart or some place, until he found enough cans of the same color. Said he did it in 12 cans. He painted his metallic blue. He's known for finding very cheap vehicles and getting them running and driving them for a couple of years. Even though he's kind of a goof, I think in some ways, he's pretty smart. But painting the truck with spray paint was still kinda funny.

I have a camo netting, mosquito netting and camo tarp to cover my pick up if we ever have to Bug Out and need to conceal our vehicle. It's Dark Grey with very little chrome. But if we have to conceal ourselves after TSHTF or during a trip away from home, I have a pretty decent concealment set up that I put together.

·
present and accounted for
4,086 Posts
An old land yacht Imapla or the newer dinghy Impala?

Either way, thats a LOT of spray, over spray, etc. Get your self some Krylon, brushes and rollers.

·
Hi HO Silver
585 Posts
The bug out vehicle I have (but don't plan on using ) is already tan.. I bought spray paint from Cabela's.. It is for painting boats camo.. I also picked up a few extra cans, I have 8 cans from their kit and an extra 6... Since S has not HTF yet I have not tried it... Good Luck..

·
Registered
494 Posts
My BOV (daily driver). I bought an '81 Chev K5 Blazer, The kid who had b4 the guy I got
it from took and covered the inside and outside with spray on bed liner. Is flat black and
don't need washing much. lol. I did consider doing a camo job at some point.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts