Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am looking to make some preps for SHTF last resort rice beans and oats storage. I have been looking around and it seems there is some debate about how to store this stuff.

Lets stick to the rice for now. I want to have about 100lbs of rice stored up. Now, please offer some advice - should I:

1 - Rice in Mylar with Food Grade Buckets and Gamma Lids
2 - Rice in Just mylar bags
3 - Rice in Mylar with regular buckets and lids
4 - Rice in Food Grade Buckets with Gamma Lids but no Mylar bags

Which of these will offer the most longevity in terms of storage, and what is the cost to benifit ratio in your mind? Is it really worth spending the extra on Food Grade buckets and Gamma Lids if its all sealed up and tucked away in Mylar Bags?

--- Part 2 ---

Second part of the question is this, How much rice (Long Grain Blue Ribbon) can i fit in a 6 gallon bucket? I assume it will be a lot more if i opt out of the Mylar Bags and less with them. I am anticipating maybe 30-35 lbs. with the Mylar bags and maybe upwards of 40-45 without them. Care to chime in on this?

I figure if i can get about 100lbs of White Rice, Oats and Beans each I will be in good standing and have a good foundation to continue preping as these three will cover a lot of grounds. Obviously there is always more to be done but this is a start

Thanks for the input!

-Mike

·
Registered
219 Posts
Check out this video and see if it helps

My Mylar bags just arrived from http://www.discountmylarbags.com/ first time ordered any bags, i had the same long debate you did, but they were cheap (25.00) for 10 bags and the o2 absorbers. With free shipping I can't believe how fast they shipped I ordered them on Saturday morning and they arrived Monday.....from Tennessee to Oklahoma.

Also I get free 4 gallon buckets from the bakery. After watching the video I linked I think I made the right choice.

Check out that guys other videos I enjoyed them.

PS I bagged up 4 4 gallon bags of white rice last night.

·
Generator Wrangler
3,900 Posts
You shouldn't pack anything in mylar without some kind of protection. All it takes to a pin hole in the mylar and you'll lose the vacuum. You are going to use oxygen absorbers to vacuum pack it right? I packed my rice in mylar/food grade buckets with Gamma lids just because I had the buckets and lids. Otherwise I see nothing wrong with storing rice in mylar and any bucket/lid capable of protecting the mylar. So 1 OR 3 would be my suggestion.

If I recall, one 6 gallon bucket would hold 25-30 pounds of rice.

There is a video on YouTube that shows how to do the entire rice/O2 absorber/mylar/bucket/gamma procedure that I found very helpful. The empty mylar bag goes in the bucket first, just so you know.

Reactions: Herbalpagan

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
Mylar and O2 absorbers are the way to get maximum storage life out of any dried food. The buckets are to protect the mylar and give another barrier to O2 and bugs. But the Mylar is the actual O2 barrier. You don't need the Gamma lids. They're just easier to open and close, so you pay a premium price for convenience. I store my foods with regular lids, then put a Gamma only on the buckets I open.

And if you ask around at local bakeries, delis, sandwich shops, ice cream shops, fast food restaurants, etc., you will probably find all the food grade buckets and lids you could ever use for free or maybe a dollar a piece.

·
Registered
522 Posts
I've put up about 400 lbs of rice so far,in 5 gallon buckets....in mylar(4.5 mil)
If I may suggest....Consider storing Par boiled rice,the nutritional value greatly exceeds plain old white rice by a mile!:D:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,431 Posts
I get 75 pounds of rice split between 2 6 gallon buckets using a mylar bag. There is room for probably 40 to 45 pounds total.

I'd use a mylar and a bucket with a regular lid. One Gama lid for each type of food preserved. One for rice, one for beans, one for wheat etc. No need to have the money tied up in Gamma lids if you don't need to.

·
Veritas Aequitas
1,956 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Sounds good so far guys. I think your right when you say you pay for convience when you buy the Gamma Lids.

Does anyone actually do long-term food storage with Food-Grade and Gamma lids but no Mylar?? Does anyone recommend it and for what?

Yes, I am caught up on the O2 absorbers and the like. I plan to do this all to the letter, dont want to open it up when SHTF and find a bunch of vermin in there

Maybe you guys can help me prioritize. I dont have any materials but plan to pick up some buckets from local stores. Just gotta buy the food, bags and o2 absorbers. I want to spend about 500 bucks initially on strictly food. Some site says you should do 1 year per person stored. So about (4) six gallon containers of Rice per person. But i have 5 people in my family. Where do i draw the line? What foods should i be focused on for core prep items in light of wanting to spend about 500 bucks and likely more soon.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Personally, I prefer to store what I call "super buckets". In one 5 gallon bucket with a mylar back I put in layers......rice, pinto beans, dry green lima beans, sealed bags of flour (about 1-2lbs) cornmeal (1-2lbs) dry milk (1lb) small bottles of buillion cubes (chicken and beef) dry blackeye peas, grits (yes I live in the south), dehydrated potatos, etc. You get the message. I have a printed list of what is in each of my buckets (mylar and gamma lids) and I can open them one at a time...take out what I need and reseal the mylar bag with another o2 absorber. Leaving enough room to reseal again later if necessary. In other buckets/bags I have items like sugar and salt sealed without o2 absorbers with enough extra room to reseal after opening and removing what I need. :thumb:

·
Registered
7 Posts
What I know about it is, White rice stores longer than brown because the brown has more oil on it and that goes rancid easier. in 2000 (Y2K) I bought 200 lbs of rice and stored it in a cool dry closet. Rice doesn't like moisture or heat.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Ya, 250 lbs of rice is a lot of rice! This prepardness is pretty overwhelming at times, but I am going to try my best to be slow and steady with it all. Definitly I want to focus right now on the basic grains like rice, beans, oats etc. And build up from there.

With regards to O2 absorbers, I have some questions.

The O2 absorbers usually come in a package of say 10 to a pack. I cant seem to find anything smaller like 5 to a pack. Because, if say I open the package and only need to use maybe 3-4 at that time how do I preserve the other o2 absorbers? I don't have a vacuum sealer or anything. Thoughts?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,534 Posts
Sounds good so far guys. I think your right when you say you pay for convience when you buy the Gamma Lids.

Does anyone actually do long-term food storage with Food-Grade and Gamma lids but no Mylar?? Does anyone recommend it and for what?

Yes, I am caught up on the O2 absorbers and the like. I plan to do this all to the letter, dont want to open it up when SHTF and find a bunch of vermin in there

Maybe you guys can help me prioritize. I dont have any materials but plan to pick up some buckets from local stores. Just gotta buy the food, bags and o2 absorbers. I want to spend about 500 bucks initially on strictly food. Some site says you should do 1 year per person stored. So about (4) six gallon containers of Rice per person. But i have 5 people in my family. Where do i draw the line? What foods should i be focused on for core prep items in light of wanting to spend about 500 bucks and likely more soon.
My original food storage was in buckets without mylar. It's a mistake and not recommended. The easiest way to see how to do it right is to check how the long term storage food industry is doing it. They use mylar and O2 absorbers. Food storage is too important to skimp and try to save a buck.

I'd strongly suggest finishing out your water storage before delving too deep into food. Water is FAR more important. You can live a month without food easily, but only a couple days without water. Yet for some reason it's often the most overlooked, put off, and under prioritized prep. Often it's the least expensive, but also can take the most thought and research to find a solution that works best for you. It literally took me YEARS to find an affordable solution that worked for me.

·
Idaho Prepper
227 Posts
For my dried goods: I prefer 2 liter soda bottles.
-free
-airtight
-durable
-dont need to open a 5gal container to prepare some.
-easy to pour
-stacks easily on sides
-free
-free
-did I mention free?

Thats just me though.

·
Registered
783 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Sounds good guys. I am going to contact some local shops tomarrow and try to pick up some buckets. I wish there was a survival type store that i could locally buy mylar bags and all that from but o well.

With regards to water storage as a side note. I hear people talking about contacting a local bottling company or something like Coca-Cola. And they can buy 55 gallon drums for about 10 bucks or even free. How do i find places like this in my area??

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
I'm not positive on how much you can get into a 6 gallon bucket, but for many things, like grains and bean, I can easily get 100#'s into 3- 5 gallon buckets. For everything I pack it's Mylar and O2 absorbers in buckets with lids.(except no O2 in sugar and salt) Most of my buckets aren't 'food grade', though that would be better. I've yet to use a gamma seal lid.

I guess you could put the sugar and salt into just food grade buckets. But everything else will benefit from the use of Mylar and O2 absorbers.

For a family of 4 it will take plenty of food to get to the point of having a 1 year supply. MY best guess is it takes about 20-25 5 gallon buckets for a 1 year supply for just one person, so multiply that by 4. (80-100)

There's a multitude of other things that need to make the 'basics' more palatable too. Canned goods of all sorts will add to variety and lessen food fatigue. Canned veggies, tomato sauces, and whatever else you like to eat. Also think about spices, and stuff like powdered eggs, milk and butter, as well as things that don't store well long term unless freeze dried.

There's a lot that goes into making a well laid out pantry. Some buckets of grains ( wheat, corn, barley, oats and rice) and beans ( all sorts of varieties) will make a good start but there's always something else you'll need too.;)

For water, I'd be looking more at filtration then storage, but where you live and it's annual rainfall will dictate which is more important. For filters any of the ceramics, like the Berkey, will work. Others like the 'hikers/ sports bottles' and my favorite is the Sawyer.
http://www.sawyer.com/products.htm

Also, for water it's important to disinfect, so some calcium hypochlorite 'pool shock' is worth keeping around. (Better then bleach, which degrades over a short time.)

Reactions: JRD505

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
If you are going to get enough rice to feed every member of your family for a year, why not cut to the chase and just do one 55-gallon drum of it and be done? - This would only work for truly long term storage, as it would not be accessible to eat in the meantime.

http://www.rural-revolution.com/2011/03/storing-food.html

Oh, and I agree with this:

One Gamma lid for each type of food preserved. One for rice, one for beans, one for wheat etc. No need to have the money tied up in Gamma lids if you don't need to.
Gamma Seals are for buckets that you are opening frequently. If you're not opening something for 6 or 12 months or more, don't bother. Them suckers are wonderful, but expensive.

Reactions: Tammon and MikeK

·
Pleasantly demented woman
3,760 Posts
Sounds good guys. I am going to contact some local shops tomarrow and try to pick up some buckets. I wish there was a survival type store that i could locally buy mylar bags and all that from but o well.

With regards to water storage as a side note. I hear people talking about contacting a local bottling company or something like Coca-Cola. And they can buy 55 gallon drums for about 10 bucks or even free. How do i find places like this in my area??
Yellow Pages. :) Bottling companies, food manufacturing places. Also check Craigslist. You just want to make sure, if you are putting food in them, that that's all they were ever used for previously.

We got our two which did NOT contain food and thus cannot be used for potable water storage, for free. One I found in a ditch, it musta fallen off a truck. The other I got from a local feed store. It had contained soap. We use them for rain barrels.

Reactions: stephpd and MikeK
1 - 20 of 42 Posts