Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 62 Posts

·
Krazy Kitty
5,007 Posts
I love pepper so I have a lot stored. Most of what I eat, especially mashed potatos and tomatos I load with pepper so it's almost black. But don't forget that pepper is a stimulant and it will make you pee all night. That's one reason we eat supper early. LOL Don't believe me? Check out this website and many others about the health benefits of black pepper. http://www.mdidea.com/products/new/new06810.html

·
7,504 Posts
I have a VERY large jar of ground black pepper from Sam's Club, but I also recommend storing whole peppercorns (they don't lose flavor as fast.)

Other things - some dried, granulated garlic to use until you can get a patch growing (if, like me, you currently lack space for serious gardening.) Paprika, cumin, chili powder (awesome shelf life, even while in-use in the kitchen,) onion powder (not quite as vital, since freeze-dried is easy to use, and wild onions are easy to identify by odor - if your sense of smell is shot, have someone with a better sniffer make the call,) vanilla (the real stuff is SO much better, and if you have a local Mexican market, you might be able to get it by the gallon, at a decent price,) or vanilla beans, saffron if you use it, as you aren't likely to find any during an extended crisis, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, a few large bottles or gallon jugs of your favorite hot sauce (they don't need a huge amount of preservatives, the vinegar and usually some of the spices qualify in that regard,) soy sauce, anise seed (yuck, but it has medicinal use also, and some like it in sausage,) citric powder (candy making, some canning, and other uses,) the list is endless.

Would you like me to go through my kitchen and storage, and make a better list, with some uses?

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,959 Posts
We got to growing horse-radish a couple years ago. Fortunately a friend warned us that it can be invasive, so I planted it in a container. After the first season I harvested all of it. We dried about half of the roots, and I kept half for replanting the next spring.

My wife got into grinding and using it, it makes a reasonable replacement for black pepper.

We no longer buy black pepper. We use horse-radish instead.

I grow it in a 55-gallon drum that was cut in thirds. So it is about 2.5 foot in diameter and a foot tall. Horseradish looks like a weed. It's roots go to the bottom of the drum and they coil there.

The first time I harvested, I just flipped the drum upside down, and found the roots all coiled up there in that one spot. That first year we got maybe 40-foot of root.

Last fall I did not bother to harvest since we still have some left over. This spring a neighbor wanted some for her garden, so I flipped the drum over, and cut off a foot long section of root for her. Planted that section of root will make a new plant in a couple weeks.

If you do not plant them in a container, it can spread as much as 30 - 40 foot in all directions each year.

:)

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I love pepper so I have a lot stored. Most of what I eat, especially mashed potatos and tomatos I load with pepper so it's almost black. But don't forget that pepper is a stimulant and it will make you pee all night. That's one reason we eat supper early. LOL Don't believe me? Check out this website and many others about the health benefits of black pepper. http://www.mdidea.com/products/new/new06810.html
I learn something new everyday!:thumb:

·
Registered
4,987 Posts
Definitely, can't forget the spices. I realized the same thing a couple of years back. Salt and Sugar is the no brainer, but all that freezed dried food plus mac and cheese, etc is going to need spice besides I am big fan of garlic(great medicinal supplement) so now I have 3 big size cans or dispensers of pepper, garlic powder, garlic salt, garlic pepper, onion powder, chili powder and a ton of other spices. Especially cinnamon I really don't like rice unless it's with milk and sugar plus cinnamon. Great way to combine my stored rice and powdered milk. (Plus there is another use for cinnamon) Of course I rotate all my spices through normal use and am currently in the process to bring it up to 5 big cans/packages for everything. I guess it all depends on what you use and how much (just take a rough guess on how much over a year you use and add 50%), I would do more if pepper's the only thing you use. Also don't forget the hot sauce, wasn't much into tobasco until I had MRE's for 20 days straight. Great way to deaden the taste buds for the fact that what u are eating sucks. (That's why a mini bottle is included with every MRE).

Reactions: Cinbad and willow

·
7,504 Posts
Wow FB! Thanks for the heads-up, I was thinking of putting it in the ground! I have mint in the ground, but it smells good to mow, and it crowds out some of the grass burrs and other spiny weeds common in my area.

I've also had a neighbor over to pick some (her daughter was embarrassed to ask for her, mom's English isn't so good,) but it's just one of those things that's easy to turn loose. I suppose you could kill it off by burning the patch completely, several times, until the roots don't have enough life left to send tops up, but I don't mind having it.

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
I have 2 qt jars with peppercorns and 4 lg boxes of ground. In addtion I have 1 qt jar full of crushed red pepper a 4 large tins of ground. I also save indiviual pepper and salt pkgs from fast food places, other condiments too, in a resealable 5 gal container - these are for barter.

Reactions: willow

·
pro religion atheist
144 Posts
I agree with forestbeekeeper. Horse radish is the way to go if you have room to grow it. Never even use pepper. Have none stored. Do have wasabi, dried mustard, curry powder and etc. Pepper is one of those few things I don't use.

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I have a VERY large jar of ground black pepper from Sam's Club, but I also recommend storing whole peppercorns (they don't lose flavor as fast.)

Other things - some dried, granulated garlic to use until you can get a patch growing (if, like me, you currently lack space for serious gardening.) Paprika, cumin, chili powder (awesome shelf life, even while in-use in the kitchen,) onion powder (not quite as vital, since freeze-dried is easy to use, and wild onions are easy to identify by odor - if your sense of smell is shot, have someone with a better sniffer make the call,) vanilla (the real stuff is SO much better, and if you have a local Mexican market, you might be able to get it by the gallon, at a decent price,) or vanilla beans, saffron if you use it, as you aren't likely to find any during an extended crisis, cocoa powder, cayenne pepper, a few large bottles or gallon jugs of your favorite hot sauce (they don't need a huge amount of preservatives, the vinegar and usually some of the spices qualify in that regard,) soy sauce, anise seed (yuck, but it has medicinal use also, and some like it in sausage,) citric powder (candy making, some canning, and other uses,) the list is endless.

Would you like me to go through my kitchen and storage, and make a better list, with some uses?
That would be great, if you have the time. I'm sure others would benefit as well.

I have a quart size bottle of mexican vanilla. It will usually last several years but crap starts to float in the bottom after the first year. I still use it, though, with no problems. Do you know how long it will last unopened?

·
Registered
6,689 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Will horseradish root that you get at the grocery store reproduce? I don't think I have seen it at the nurseries around here.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,964 Posts
I've got probably 4 or 5 pounds of black peppercorns stored. It's broken down into smaller mylar bags w/ O2 absorbers.

I also bought a half-dozen pepper grinders (with peppercorns) from Aldi. They are plastic grinders w/ glass bottle, and contain about 1.5 ounces of peppercorns.

I pulled out the peppercorns, mylared them, washed the grinders, put them away. I figure they may be worth something as barter, plus I'll want extra pepper grinders.

FWIW: I won't store ground pepper; it loses something after grinding, so whole peppercorns is the way to go for me.

·
pro religion atheist
144 Posts
Will horseradish root that you get at the grocery store reproduce? I don't think I have seen it at the nurseries around here.
I can't really say for sure. It would not suprise me though. Don't know if it has a sprout retardant on it like they sometimes do potatos. Maybe forestbeekeeper knows?

·
Indefatigable
21,109 Posts
Allergic to horseradish, but love fresh ginger. I have lost most of my gardening skills living in the city, but this year I have been working on gardening on my terrace. Is ginger something I could grow?

·
7,504 Posts
That would be great, if you have the time. I'm sure others would benefit as well.

I have a quart size bottle of mexican vanilla. It will usually last several years but crap starts to float in the bottom after the first year. I still use it, though, with no problems. Do you know how long it will last unopened?
I'm a stay-home grandma who needs to do inventory and straightening up anyway. :thumb: Not sure how long it will last unopened, but vanilla beans are available in many stores, and "how to" is on the web.

Some stuff makes more sense to those of us who do lots of cooking, but I keep encouraging the rest to learn how. In the long run, ingredients are cheaper and you end up with less packaging to get rid of. (One can of cocoa powder makes MANY cups of cocoa, but also makes chocolate cake, or fudge. And if you seriously wanted to, you could reuse the plastic box and lid. Recipe is right on the box, and no little foiled paper packets to dispose of.)

1 - 20 of 62 Posts