Survivalist Forum banner

How much fits in a 5 gal bucket?

9877 Views 36 Replies 23 Participants Last post by  momof2
ive been considering LTS using mylar, o2 absorbers and 5 gal buckets

my issues is i have no idea how much (in kgs, or lbs) it takes to fill these things

does anyone have the weights for how much rice, and/or other grains it would take to fill a bag/bucket?

also if anyone has the serving size for 1 portion of rice, measured in CUPS, this will be of great help..

does anyone know were its best to buiy mylar, 5 gal buckets, and o2 absorbers in the uk?

and do irons work well enough for sealing?

thank you very much
Reactions: joes
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

· Registered
525 Posts
You are correct this question has been posted several times before. I don't think anyone uses the search function, shame on us all.

I have to ask myself, what is so difficult about weighing a cup of rice, seems simple enough. How could anyone plan, if they don't know what a serving size is, and the weight, to know how much to store. In a post SHTF world wonder who is going to guide those of us that don't experiment on their own, no internet to push the questions into, pretty scary.

Having said that, One cup of rice will make two fair sized servings, a cup of rice is about half a pound. If you are planning for a larger family this means you may be looking at about 400 pounds of rice for a year if you plan to eat it every day. It is a lot of rice, think about it. I am not saying everyone needs that much, but if your idea of food independence is a few one pound bags, you will be surprised at how fast it will go.

The amount of rice you can get into a 5 gallon bucket will depend on whether you use a bag, the type of rice (grain size), and how good you are at packing. I have (with bags) had 36 pound buckets of rice, with 39 pounds being more typical. I am including the bucket and lid weight in that number. Hope this helps.

· Registered
109 Posts
We can get 33 lbs of rice into a 5 gal bucket (100 lbs fills three buckets nicely). Pretty much the same for wheat (maybe 33 - 35 lbs per bucket).

The wife picked up a hair curling iron with a long flat area -- actually, it's more of an un-curling iron, cause it says "hair staightener" somewhere on it. It it SO much easier than the clothes iron! Man, it works great and fast too.

· A Way of Life
1,678 Posts
I've just purchased a number of mylar bags (in the U.S.), and I found that Home Depot has a sale on 5 gallon buckets ($2.78 plus $.98 for the lid). The buckets are rated #2, so they are acceptable for food storage. Additionally, because I'm using mylar and O2 absorbers with the buckets, I don't really need a Gamma lid.

There are only two of us, and we're supplementing the 6 months of food we already have stored. Here's how I'm using the buckets.

2 for legumes (pinto and navy)

2 for rice (brown and basamati)

1 for sugar/salt

We will build on that over time; this is just a start.

· Registered
5 Posts
Storing Beans or Pasta

When storing in a mylar bag, within a 5 gallon bucket, can you keep the various beans in the original plastic bags?

The only size bags of beans I could find are the small sized ones that you would use to make an individual recipe for soup or similar. I bought many of these bags of beans, of various varieties.

Can these small bags of various beans be stored in their original packaging within the mylar with a co2?

Same question for boxed or bagged pastas.

· Time to hit reset
25,778 Posts
When storing in a mylar bag, within a 5 gallon bucket, can you keep the various beans in the original plastic bags?

The only size bags of beans I could find are the small sized ones that you would use to make an individual recipe for soup or similar. I bought many of these bags of beans, of various varieties.

Can these small bags of various beans be stored in their original packaging within the mylar with a co2?

I recently put some smaller bags of beans, flavored rice packs and pasta all in a 5 gal bucket. I either poked holes in the bags or simply replaced them into freezer bags, putting an 02 absorber in the individual bag as well as the mylar bag. Most of the items I had were in 'meal-size boxes' and for the sake of saving space I broke them down and put them in 'meal size bags'.
Overkill? Maybe, but had to use the few extra 02 absorbers I had left, rather be safe than sorry :)

· A Way of Life
1,678 Posts

For the BEST result, I would buy some smaller sized mylar bags, and then transfer the contents from their original packaging to the mylar. Drop in your O2 absorbers, and then put as many as will fit into the bucket.

The original packaging tends to be brittle and will not hold up over the long haul. Unless you are using Gamma lids, some O2 will leak into the bucket and will contaminate your stores over time.

We're all working within budgets, so you just have to find that balance between cost and longevity.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.