Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 89 Posts

·
Registered
248 Posts
I have some 4 55 gal drums full of water, and I live less than a mile from a large aqueduct that is used to transfer drinking water to different parts of the state (after it is filtered of course).

·
Registered
214 Posts
I have 6 months worth in the form of ozonated bottled water. I use this regularly and rotate the supply by buying new whenever bottled water is on sale.

·
Nadafinga!!
2,996 Posts
I have approximately 15 gallons of drinking water stored at any given time. I have container storage capacity for about another 30 gallons and improvised storage capacity for about 80 more gallons. I have nearby access to year-round water and enough bleach to disenfect a small lake, I think.

When I read about people who have gotten into dire straights due to dehydration, a common theme isn't that they didn't have access to water at some point but that they did not have the ability to store and/or carry it.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,105 Posts
About 1,600 gallons. I'm using those IBC totes that are on the market used if you look around, plus a 325 gallon water tank I got for free for hauling it off. The IBC totes were used for carrying food grade oil, so they were safe for storing water after some cleaning. And the tank was a livestock watering tank that held well water. It just needed cleaned too.

Total cost was $100. The totes are available in almost all cities, but takes some detective work to find. They're stackable too, so you can stack them two high in a garage and store 550 gallons in a 4 foot by 4 foot footprint.

·
Registered
3,595 Posts
Since we have a well that we dont use for drinking water we have 5-5gal jugs and anywhere from 3-10 cases of bottles
The well water can be filtered just havent done it yet

·
Super Moderator
12,162 Posts
2 5-gallon water containers
2 7-gallon water containers
4 cases bottled water
Truckee river one block away
7 water filters/purifiers

·
Your move Sparky...
7,782 Posts
Access to a lake and several local wells, but still store 3 - 55 gal drums and several cases of bottle water.

·
Registered
58 Posts
300 + gallons

250 gallons in a 275 gallon IBC tote in my shed (I don't fill to top to allow room for expansion in my cold climate) &
(7) 7 gallon water totes in the basement

plus numerous cases of bottled water.

ETA - I'm also 3/4 mile away from a group member that also has 300+ gallons on hand and approximately 6-7 miles away from another group member that has 300+ gallons on hand.

·
It's Invevitable
24 Posts
We have several cases of bottled water on hand at any time, a Big Berkey and a 15,000 gallon above ground pool that has been converted for water storage (read - i gave up on maintenance). We also have a MSR hand-filter and enough bleach to disinfect Tiger Woods' hotel room.

:)

·
˙ʇno uıƃuɐɥ ʇsn
821 Posts
I try to keep 10 cases of bottled water, reload when it gets down to 6.
So 3 gallons per case = 30 gallons.
Both of my neighbors have pools.
First Need purifier/filter.
I live alone, so I figure it could maybe last a month on the bottled only.....in non summer times.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
We have several cases of bottled water on hand at any time, a Big Berkey and a 15,000 gallon above ground pool that has been converted for water storage (read - i gave up on maintenance). We also have a MSR hand-filter and enough bleach to disinfect Tiger Woods' hotel room.

:)
Don't you find it a little foolish to allow a 15,000 purified (chlorinated) water supply to turn into a stagnant 15,000 gallon mosquito pit/cholera pool because of failure to maintain it?

·
Scarred for life...
3,295 Posts
You cannot stockpile enough water.

There is just no way IMO.

You need access to natural sources, whether it be a hand pumped well, a stream, a pond, or even rain water...

Then you need a way to purify it, such as a berkey...

·
Banned
647 Posts
I have 500+g in storage (drums and bottled), 9a of ponds, two springs, 2 wells and 2 creeks. I also have a 1000g water wagon.

·
I see a bad moon arising
1,267 Posts
100 gallons in assorted containers, mainly 15 gallon surplus food-grade barrels
and those 7-gallon cube-shaped Reliance containers. Treated with bleach
and refilled yearly.

Another 40 gallons to be found in the water heater. Meh -- ok, it's getting
older and probably filling with sediment... maybe 30 gallons?

Backed up with two 55-gallon rain water barrels, which of course would
require filtration and treatment, but I figure here in the midwest, it rains
often enough that the rain barrels would fill often enough to provide an
essentially endless supply of water if used sparingly.

Yeah, my own well would be ideal, but not allowed in most suburban settings.
Looking to develop a fairly self-sufficient house with a well on 40+ acres I
recently bought, but alas, I'm still about 4 years from reaching that financial
goal. Hoping the wheels stay on the economy long enough for that to happen
but I'm not so sure anymore. Fingers crossed.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
Not enough!
At the farm we have an 18K gallon cistern. In town we don't have enough stored up. Winter is our problem. We have to keep it thawed out or it will break it's containers. In the summer time I can store about 7000 gallons here in tanks.

·
Registered
546 Posts
Definitely more than every friend and family member unless some of them are more prepared than they have ever let on. That is entirely possible. I have only recently ever talked to any of them about this, especially considering I only really opened my eyes to the wisdom of prepping when I read JWR's "How to Survive TEOTWAWKI" in September.

But nowhere near enough overall.

40 gallon water tank, whatever sits in the pipes, and about 4 cases of bottled water

There is a stream nearby, but I'm sure it would get drained or compromised quickly.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,759 Posts
We have 12-15 1 gal jugs in pantry for emergency use plus the normal 2-3 cases of bottled water in garage for day to day drinking, trips, etc...

1 100 gal water BoB for bathtub to fill if i get advanced warning

1 50 gal hot water heater

1 300 gal hot tub with powdered sanitizer, etc...

1 100,000 + gal olympic sized pool in community to draw from

1 1/3 to 1/2 acre pond in front of house, various ponds on golf course

2 5 gal water containers to haul water

1-2 gal reg bleach

1 rei first need water filter and extra cartridges

2 katadyn water filtered sports bottles (need extra filters)

downspouts on house to be tapped into to fill various buckets and hot tub when it rains..

all in all, pretty good shape i think, not bad for suburban prepper trying to stay stealthy and PSYOP the neighbors....:D:

1 - 20 of 89 Posts