Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
60 yrs in spite of gov.
161 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
If I could only make one suggestion to people it would be to practice. About 20 years ago I started practicing on different things like no power and gardening. I would suggest that if you can’t pass these tests you should re-assess your ability to survive SHTF.
I would come home Friday afternoon and hit the main in the power box. It would not come back on until Sunday night. You can plan for this but actually doing it will greatly increase your ability and confidence.
I did this a great many times over about 2 years then I got laid off. I had a small piece of land at another location and had a wood cook stove that I had acquired. I had very little cash (about 2 weeks pay). I scouted around and found some ¾ inch used plywood ,some 2x4s, and some used roofing tin. I did a little figuring and built a 24 x 24 foot cabin. Another thing I had was some good old cast iron cook ware.
Mind you, at this time I had been raising 2 sons completely by my self for 2 years. I read to them every night from the likes of Louis L’Amour (the early ones like Jubal) and they were really excited about this adventure. They were age 6 and 8.
We learned to use that cook stove pretty quick ( I also had all the early Mother Earth News). I found a job driving trucks and tractors for a farmer. This paid cash daily. It didn’t take long to work out a routine of hauling water, cutting firewood, and working a garden. I could have given a lot of feedback to that magazine! Lol
I home schooled the boys. They got jobs on the farm during potato season and we had a great time. I was amazed at what great woodsmen they became. I learned a lot from them. They learned to see and smell.
The youngest (Joe) could and still does move through the woods like a wild animal. Swift and silent.
I just realized this might be getting boring to some so I just wanted to say that practice is very important.
Try it. Also try growing some food in buckets if you have to. If it don’t work then make every effort to find out why. The important thing is to practice before you have to do it. You will learn so much. And don’t forget about firearms practice too.

·
Registered
826 Posts
I pick up my "go-to" rifle and handle it every day.

I go to the gun range as often as I can, most recently at least once a week, and I carry a pistol every day.

I forage off my property -- blackberries, dandelion greens, clover (incl. the blossoms for tea), etc. -- most days from March through November.

I practice recipes made only with my storage foods for several meals each week.

I test my bug-out gear a few times a year in the back yard, whenever a particularly crappy rainstorm hits... :thumb:

I go hiking in my area about once a month, ideally to test out some clothing, footwear, or gear.

I try to camp a couple of times a year and work on my camp craft.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Just came back from a camping trip with hubby today, in which we discussed how we have to start using knowledge that is stored in our heads more and more ,rather than keeping it for a rainy day.
Being on a farm we have to use alot of self sufficient style skills, but i have just decided to cook outdoors on a campfire half the week for our meals.
Have also decided to get all the survival dvds out again!

1 - 8 of 8 Posts