Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Hello All I've been enjoying the forum for a few weeks now and really enjoy and am impressed by the thoughtfullness of most posters, I say thanks to all.
My question to you all is "how much ammo is enough to store?"

Ragnar Benson said he could start an ammo aquisition program with as little as 500 rounds. I'm not so sure and would like your opinions on this matter.
My thinking is as follows:
1) Defensive Handgun ammo: 500-1000 rounds of hollowpoints per weapon.

2) Defensive rifle ammo: 2000 -3000 rounds per weapon

3) Shotgun : 200 rounds OO buck
100 rounds Slug
200 rounds #6 or #71/2
Thanks in advance I look forward to your opinions.
P.S. Oh I forgot .22 ammo Ten thousand rounds at least... and may be the most useful of all!

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
While different people will give you different answers it really boils down to a few things.
1) What are you able to afford and how much space do you have to store it
2) what you percieve to be the most likely scenarios SHTF and wether you intend to bug out or stay put as if you have to move it all you wont be able to have as much as if you are staying in place just from logistical standpoint you can only truck/carry so much
3) How many people/guns are you getting ammo for? and what weaps do you anticipate using more. like personaly I have more 22lr than anyother caliber combined because i anticipate using it for small game and pest control were as for my pistol i only have 1000rnds because to me a pistol is a backup weapon and probbably wont be used as much as some of my others

It really boils down to what you feel is acceptable and what you are able to budget I would say your list is a pretty good one I would recomed 20,000+ on the 22lr there cheap and you can show people how to shoot if you need to without wasting expencive rounds to do it

Reactions: rabiddog9

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yes I think you guys are right about adding more .22 at least double and more.

Also I currently shoot/Train with mostly reloads in .223 and .308 and .45 ACP and 9mm. I keep reloading the same brass over and over as long as it looks OK and cycle through about a 500 round lot over and over and that way never have to touch my long term sealed stash, just keep growing it. My reloads are usually kept mild to prolong the life of the brass not to mention the rifle barrels.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
Ya know, trying to assign numbers to "how much is enough" is kind of a silly exercise. If I knew the world was truly gonna end and ammo production would cease, I'd want 10K rounds of everything. After all you'll never be able to buy anymore and even that 10K per caliber would run out eventually.

Think in terms of how much you'd use in different scenarios per week or month or whatever. If you're living off squirrels and deer, how many 22LR and 30-06 rounds will you consume per month? 1000 rounds would last for years potentially. How many years is enough? That's really the question.

·
Stack It Deep.
649 Posts
Two answers for two different scenarios:

1. If the VAT is pending but not yet imposed, empty the shelves in all of your calibers.
2. If the VAT is delayed, buy a year's worth for all of your calibers, including practice.

·
Registered
3,610 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ya know, trying to assign numbers to "how much is enough" is kind of a silly exercise. If I knew the world was truly gonna end and ammo production would cease, I'd want 10K rounds of everything. After all you'll never be able to buy anymore and even that 10K per caliber would run out eventually.

Think in terms of how much you'd use in different scenarios per week or month or whatever. If you're living off squirrels and deer, how many 22LR and 30-06 rounds will you consume per month? 1000 rounds would last for years potentially. How many years is enough? That's really the question.
Gee Steve sorry for being "silly" I was just trying to get a feel for what others are thinking out there And your point about "If I knew the world was going to end ...." is well taken WE Don't know the future and I was interested in how others think about this kind of thing since I respect their opinions and don't presume to know all the answers.

·
Registered
564 Posts
Assuming it is not a rebellion/war/invasion situation realistically one would never need to shoot hundreds of rounds. I would say one-hundred round per weapon. If you are a hunter an extra hundred for your hunting rifle would be good. .22 have a few thousand and your set.

I doubt anyone is going to be in long firefights unless they are looking to be.

If you think military unrest is likely I would keep more but there is never enough ammo for war.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
Lots lot of .22 LR. You will be using that the most. Get one suppressed if possible.

A purpose built precision rifle would be my only real worry. They need special diets.

Far more important is to train with your firearms! Shoot a summer's worth of service rifle matches, join IDPA, 3 Gun and/or get some good instruction somewhere.

·
Hangin in There
820 Posts

Deer is one thing, but if your catching critters then your better off saving your ammo and learn how to set traps. Traps are more effective, standing around all day with a rifle in hand takes away from accomplishing other essential tasks.

For ammo get as much as you can afford. You don't know what our government will try to do. Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

·
Spooky
1,698 Posts
Gee Steve sorry for being "silly" I was just trying to get a feel for what others are thinking out there And your point about "If I knew the world was going to end ...." is well taken WE Don't know the future and I was interested in how others think about this kind of thing since I respect their opinions and don't presume to know all the answers.
Sorry it's my nature to speak plainly; I didn't intend a personal attack. I just meant that the answer to "how much" is always going to be "it depends".

I made sure I went heavy on 22LR and #00 buckshot. I have some 9mm mostly for barter since it's not going to be consumed hunting.

I'm research trapping and snaring now since I know ammo won't last forever. It's just to get over the hump if I survive long enough.

·
Registered
1,497 Posts
Loaded Ammo

Handgun:
1,000 Rounds per gun

Rifle
2500 rounds per semi auto

750 rounds for a bolt gun

Shotgun: #8 Shot- 500 rounds
#6 Shot - 500 rounds
#4 Shot - 250 Rounds
Buckshot 250 rounds
Slugs 100 rounds

Unloaded ammo (reloading components)

Enough to make
* 2500 pistol rounds per weapon with found/reused brass (so enough powder, primers, and projectiles to make 2500 rounds)

*1500 Semi Auto rifle bullets per weapon with found/ reused brass

*500 rounds of bolt gun ammo with re used brass

·
Banned
9,794 Posts
If you have to ask how much is enough.......you don't have enough.

If you know off the top of your head the exact mumber or rounds you own.....you don't have enough.

If your not getting rid of sht you don't need to make room for ammo....you don't have enough.

Get my drift? There is no such thing as enough concerning ammo.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Folks tend to spend too much on the firearms stuff and not enough on other issues.

The stuff that keep you safe is rural land, food, water, duel, and medical supplies. Laying low is much safer than anything else.

Those numbers look great. IF bug out is more of an option, then maybe keep any particular amount under 1500 or so.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.