Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am trying to figure out an approx length of rope to carry for 7 people. Still figuring out if we do makeshift shelter with rope and tarps or hammocks, but about how much for ONE person? How much for a tribe?:confused:

·
Registered
174 Posts
how much can you pack? depending on the outing, i carry one or two 50' bundles. i also put about 25' in my dog's pack. this has proven to be more than enough on long weekend primitive camping trips.

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
i carry 100', will string any shelter i need with taurp (dont carry tent), and still leaves a lot to unwind and use fer snares

·
Adaptable.
1,978 Posts
I keep specific lengths. 40 foot for a bear bag, 25 feet for a ridge line, and an old cut off sock full of 3-8 foot lengths for tie downs or lashings. Got expensive trying to keep a single steams packed. I keep a 500 foot spool in the shop here, but generally use thinner cheaper cordage like nylon twine or hemp rope.

My wife keeps threatening to knit me a scarf and belt from 550. I keep waiting. ;)

·
Super Moderator
Psalm 34:4
23,556 Posts
Why not order 100' for yourself, then go out in the woods and make a temporary shelter with the paracord and a tarp. You will get some practice making a shelter and also know just how much cord each person will need. Practice making a few snares etc... and just add the amount of cord you use to each persons preps.

·
Grouchy Infidel
1,559 Posts
100' per sounds good, here are some creative ways of carrying it:

The bottle has 20' of paracord on it, use if needed, consider it reserve.

If you have 7 people that's 140' just on water bottles each.

you can also wrap pack handles or grab handles for more storage.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
100' per sounds good, here are some creative ways of carrying it:

The bottle has 20' of paracord on it, use if needed, consider it reserve.

If you have 7 people that's 140' just on water bottles each.

you can also wrap pack handles or grab handles for more storage.
Very cool. Are there instructions for those of us new to knot tying and paracord usage?

1 - 16 of 16 Posts