·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
THINKING PREMISE of

OK
how many have read LUCIFERS HAMMER?

for those who haven't
" a massive comet breaks apart and bombards the Earth, with catastrophic results: worldwide earthquakes, volcanic eruptions, thousand-foot tidal waves and seemingly endless rain… With civilization in ruins, individuals band together to survive and to build a new society."

You have prepped, have stored, planned, and a well organized bigger group than you/yours comes along all peaceful like and says "We kinda know and trust you. You are good folk, would be good to have you and we want to fold you into our group and what we offer are numbers and support etc etc. They even have a real doctor. THey are in the process of trying to expand their borders for the good of the group.They advise they already have a board of sorts for decision making but that everyone is allowed input. There is no promise of you being a general but they say with your age, experience and planning you won't be a grunt either.
AND
you know these folks from previous contacts and believe what they say,
BUT
if you join in you have to pool your general assets except for your personal stuff. So, your stored fuel, food, ammo and guns all those preps, are not gone, but contributed into the pile and is to be considered your "buy in" to the bigger group that provides that much more security and such over a larger expanse of lands.
and
while no one has threatened, they have insinuated that if the emergency outlasts your supplies you will not be welcomed if you come looking for help later or you will be on your own if raiders come a calling. And there have been rumors floating of raiders. THey will just wall their defenses up against your back but they won't help you.

DID they make an offer you can't refuse?

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I've read Lucifer's Hammer.

That's the one with an old Senator in there right? I get some of these confused since I've read so many of them.

If that's the one, then it's a scenario I've thought about a bunch since reading that. Sure enough the pooling of food and ammo was the least pleasant aspect of that story.

On the one hand, I truly don't like the idea of pooling my preps with anyone. If they didn't prep then that's their problem. I would be willing to trade and barter these items though.

Realistically however, I likely would grudgingly do so. I live in an area where my neighbors all farm or raise goats/cattle/chickens/bees. Also everyone around me is well armed. So pooling our stuff might not be that big of a deal since everyone already has plenty.

To me the pool/not pool arguments both make sense when I think about them. Hopefully we never have to find out which one to decide on.

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Throwing in with a larger group is how we all got in this mess in the first place.

That being said..sure, maybe. It would depend on what they really had to offer. And what the cost was.

·
Banned
6,384 Posts
I'm always willing to, like I've said elsewhere, I have no property and live in a city, reaching out to people I know here will be the first thing I do, I bring what I have to offer as an individual, my role is that of a contributor in any SHTF scenario of the next 5 years easily.

I'm already in talks with Norcal Hippie around pitching in together on land potentially.

Real leaders know not everyone can be a chief, there are times to follow and times to lead.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk

·
Premium Member
1,871 Posts
I'm always willing to, like I've said elsewhere, I have no property and live in a city, reaching out to people I know here will be the first thing I do, I bring what I have to offer as an individual, my role is that of a contributor in any SHTF scenario of the next 5 years easily.

I'm already in talks with Norcal Hippie around pitching in together on land potentially.

Real leaders know not everyone can be a chief, there are times to follow and times to lead.

Sent from my Note 8 using Tapatalk
If we form a group, we'll take you in.

You're on guard duty. :thumb:

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
What are the odds that a group would be a pure Democracy?

Zero

THOSE would be the same odds I would give.

Republics work, Democracy is 3 wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

Nope, it would be probably and enlightened dictator situation.

As I have posted before, in all the immediate action required survival situations I have been in, No one took a vote.

·
Registered
2,441 Posts
What are the odds that a group would be a pure Democracy?

THOSE would be the same odds I would give.

Republics work, Democracy is 3 wolves and a sheep voting on what is for dinner.

Nope, it would be probably and enlightened dictator situation.

As I have posted before, in all the immediate action required survival situations I have been in, No one took a vote.

Yup. Committees & such are nice to give the impression of group input, however are just that. Input.

Family meeting kind of stuff, but the head makes the call.

When “feelings” get involved and start to be prioritized over facts, problems stack. Drama.

·
Registered
11 Posts
That will be in my plan for sure. I don't have and don't think most people could go it alone.

My coworkers always called me Mcgyver because I could always fix anything, but my body is not what it once was and I just can't do much physical work anymore. I can teach though and my wife is a teacher.

I think we will get along fine, if we can hook up with the right people.

·
Welcome to the rice field
1,585 Posts
I might start a larger group. Join some else's... no. Never been one for following orders.

·
Banned
34,722 Posts
A buddy just told me that I could be a dictator, but he wouldn't be a slave.

I told him (text message conversation.) That I only wanted to give "warlord orders" (relating to security.)
Not tell people what to do otherwise.

·
Registered
3,131 Posts
In time it's inevitable. That's how societies form. At some point, a bigger, meaner, more powerful group is going to show up. It's likely that you and/or I may not like their way of doing things. If you don't start forming into an ever increasing larger group capable of defending itself while you can still influence the structure and rules you will eventually be overtaken.
It may not be right away and will depend on how far back towards the Stone Age we find ourselves. If you already have a group, a plan, resources and a remote, defendable location it will take longer. But eventually we, or our children will be faced with those kinds of decisions. As it's always been down through history.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
Registered
18 Posts
Tough question (i.e., about joining a larger group.).

I'm following the discussion just to help me think it through.

·
Registered
460 Posts
I would only join if the person in charge had a high IQ, intelligence is the key to success, that and some armed individuals. Otherwise, we would fair on our own if I felt they weren't going to turn and just take from us, but even then I may play along. Usually, people who care less about you(won't help you) are manipulating you to be a sheeple in their self-indulgence of mental masturbation.

·
BASS
2,095 Posts
That will be in my plan for sure. I don't have and don't think most people could go it alone.

My coworkers always called me Mcgyver because I could always fix anything, but my body is not what it once was and I just can't do much physical work anymore. I can teach though and my wife is a teacher.

I think we will get along fine, if we can hook up with the right people.
My best days are far behind me. I cannot do much in the way of physical work. I do have skills most people don't have. My back ground is construction and I can McGiver a lot.

My small group has various skills and and many are younger. Many are my family members. All are dependable people I can trust.

I have said many times: We are the go to place for the family if SHTF. Even if I have passed away this is still the place of refuge. People who are not family members live close by and they wouldn't be leaving either. I can see many members homes for my yard. :) My group isn't looking to expand.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,532 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
I THINK the situation would be determinant of the geography and type of event.

I can see folks holding out for autonomy if the forecast for bleak is even a couple of years. But, if it is going on for a very long time...
no small group can hold out forever and a big group needs the ability to expand and keep its numbers strong enough to have peace, in that no other group would think of challenging them. You have big enough numbers, you will live in peace.

In my case, I live in a county where most folks are related. It is small in numbers and connected to even smaller counties. There is more ground than can ever be overused or controlled by other than battalion sized groups. Over half the county is farm land with a fair number of livestock in place. There are cattle raisers and dairy farms. THere is water EVERYWHERE. You drive a pipe into the ground in the lower elevations and you will have a flowing well. Seriously, too much water is a real problem. It is really funny at times to be out at a place like the county fair and see all the groups getting together. It is like a giant family reunion.
SO.. nothing really to fight over for "space".

I think the whole county would just assume the role of getting together because right now that is what happens when we lose power for a week or get blizzards etc. EVERYONE chips in and works to the best of their abilities. Many times the roads have been closed by storms and before the county can get to them the local folks have plowed them open or cleared trees down or whatever because that is what we do and none of it is organized. Everyone just pops out of their shelter and just does it.

My only neighbor, his kids has his own big dump plow and lives about 20 miles away. Last big storm he was out with his underblade dump truck plowing county roads on his own. including our private road.. because he likes doing it and it is the thing to do for the other county folks who don't have access to big trucks, and it sometimes takes the county a long time to get geared up and get to the 2ndary roads.

I know I cannot survive alone past a year under the best of circumstances but I think I would have a fair good place in the food chain with what I can bring to the table if I had that offer to join.

1 - 20 of 74 Posts