Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I'am thinking about getting a few more 32 ounce nalgene water bottles, or a couple of those 32 ounce nalgene canteens. Last year while my son, nephew and I were on a hot weather hiking trip, we did not have enough water with us. So I'am going to fix that problem this year.

Besides hiking, lets say SHTF and you had to get water from a local creek. Which would then be filtered through a berkey water filter. Do you have a way to carry water from point A to point B?

The nearest creek is about 1 mile from my house. If I had to, I could get my backpack, walk down the highway to the creek, fill up several 32 ounce water bottles and then walk back. The problem is, you have to have the bottles to be able to transport the water.

Right now I have about 6 military 1 quart canteens, 1 - 32 ounce nalgene water bottle and 1 - 2 quart military canteen. I dont think that is enough. Not when I start diving the gear between several people.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
I have 1 3-liter hydration bag, 1 1.5-liter hydration bag, 4 2-quart GI soft canteens, 2 2-quart GI hard canteens, 2 1-quart GI SS canteens, 4 32oz SS/titanium water bottles, and 2 10-liter MSR Dromedary bags. Plan to get 4 more SS 32oz/38oz bottles (Wiggys/Guyot Nalgene) plus a few more 10-liter Dromedary bags. I can use the Dromedary bags as shower bags or hydration bags with the accessories I have.

I don't carry it all in the back pack. I use a game cart to carry my kit so I can take quite a bit of water with me. It is critical here in the High Desert to have plenty. Sometimes it is a long way between water sources.

I'd suggest a few of the bottles, but I'd opt for the Dromedary bags as your primary carry item.

http://cascadedesigns.com/msr/water...reatment-and-hydration/dromedary-bags/product

·
Sorry About Your Feelings
20,836 Posts
I have over 200 16oz water bottles stored.
And 5 full 7 gallon Aqua-tainers.

·
Super Moderator
12,201 Posts
I wasn't counting stored water, just field use. I've got 8 1-gallon jugs, 2 5-gallon totes, 2 7-gallon totes, and 75 24oz bottles stored for bug-in use.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,429 Posts
I have a bunch of 1 and 2 quart canteens, 2 hydration bladders and a bunch of 5 and 7 gallon water jugs. The jugs are mostly for camping. I don't use the bottles because their shape makes them bulky for the limited amount of water they carry and it just doesn't work for my loadout.

·
Registered
90 Posts
The kids and I all have camelbak's and I am going to be purchasing one for DH. He says he doesn't need one, I think differently. At least as far as emergency use or whatever. I will buy it and stash it with the camping gear and he will be grateful when he needs it:D:

As far as water bottles, we have 8 or more of the aluminum ones and I try to remember to use those instead of just grabbing a bottle of water.

Forgot to add that we also have several aquatainers and collapsible water jugs, but those are DH's department :)

·
Born to prep
3,652 Posts
For those on a budget two and three liter pop bottles work, a little tape and it is not difficult to make carriers for them. I am doing a how to now so I should be able to post it soon.

·
Registered
5,163 Posts
I have (6) nalgene 32's, (4) 16's, (6) canteens and a 100 oz. hydrastorm for my packs. A dozen or so 2/5 gal water bladders at my cabin plus a 300 gallon tank. I keep a case of water in my boat, car, truck, plane and garage. I feel like I need more, though.

·
1,764 Posts
I second Jerry's recommendation of the MSR Dromedary bag. You can also purchase their shower attachment and their hydration system attachment. They are both bombproof bags (boiling water to freezing) that will last for decades.

I always carry at least one stainless steel klean kanteen as you can prop it over a fire to boil water. Without the lid, of course...

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I'm not sure I want to use something I plan on drinking out of to carry non-potable water in. I suppose you could filter the water, wash your bottle, and then refilter the water again but that seems unpractical as well.

I have pondered the same question though. How to transport non-potable water to a home filtering system? The easy answer is a bucket. For me the better answer was either a collapsible bucket:

Amazon.com: Collapsible Water Bucket: Sports & Outdoors

Or this sucker:

http://www.coghlanscampinggear.com/cowabag.html

I just got the later last weekend. It is less awkward to carry long distance than the buckets/collapsible buckets. It is still heavy but two of them with a stick/branch over the shoulder and its no issue.

As for actual bottles I have two 32 oz bottles per person (above age 6). One to drink from and one to purify from. But I only use those when hiking.

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I have one 1qt canteen, one 2qt bladder canteen and one 2 liter hydration bladder. In the summer, I carry another 2 liters of water bottles when I go out in the bush. I plan on using the 1qt and 2qt canteens if I have to filter water.

At home I have a 100 gallon water bob. Five gallon bickers will work foe moving any lake or creek water.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
I'm thinking not as many as some of you lol..

for home use (emerg purpose) we have plenty, could always use more but have plenty stored..

for hiking use.....2 GI 1 quart canteens
2 metal 700 ml bottles
2 20 oz nalgene bottles from work with the company logo on them lol

·
Registered
906 Posts
Seven 7 gallon aquatainers stored water (would like more but storage is a problem)
three large bladder GI canteens
four camel backs
ten 1 qt GI canteens
eight misc water bottles
twelve 1 gal jugs water stored

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
I have three 0.9L bottles and a 3L issue camelbak. I'm gonna be getting some of those nalgene 32oz canteens. I also need to look into some sort of 2 to 5 gallon water storage for my trunk.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I must have well over 20 different 1L to 1.5L bottles: Nalgene, Platypus, SIGG, Klean Kanteen and various knock-offs.

I have become a real big fan of the platypus since they fold down to nothing when empty, and the Klean Kanteen is great for its versatility.

I also have a couple of 6L Platypus bags for carrying group quantities.

·
The Whole Armor of YAH
311 Posts
Do you have to store water if you have a private well and a hand pump attached to it? Just wondering.

·
CHEERS :p
1,946 Posts
Do you have to store water if you have a private well and a hand pump attached to it? Just wondering.
I would....my though process tells me that if we needed to leave home I can toss alot of my aquatainers along with other food and gear in the van or jeep and go.... I understand the plan to stay put might be the main plan but if ya have to go at least you'll have some water handy....just my two cents

·
Registered
46 Posts
I started drinking box wine b/c its cheap and really not that bad quality. Anyways, inside the box is a thick plastic bladder (or what ever you want to call it) that holds up to 5 liters depending on the partictular wine. There is a nice cap that allows the plastic to fold down around the wine (no air) and is air tight when closed.

So after drinking all the wine I save the plastic, clean it out and save for shtf. I think this would be a good portable water container and really not cost you any prep money. Plus you get to drink the wine and tell your wife your not getting drunk your preping lol

1 - 20 of 46 Posts