Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!

How many rounds if the SHTF

• 1-50

Votes: 88 24.2%
  • 51-100

Votes: 29 8.0%
  • 101-500

Votes: 50 13.7%
  • 501-the zombies keep coming!

Votes: 198 54.4%
1 - 20 of 121 Posts

·
Hoist the colors
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Yeah, I know. It's fun to have stuff and stocking up on ammo is one way to hedge against future price hikes or just plain unavailability. However, after doing quite a bit of reading, on many different websites, most people come off as thinking they will be in running gunfights every day, expending thousands of rounds of ammunition. I do not think this way. I'm toying with the idea of selling off most or all of my firearms and ammunition, maybe switching over to blackpowder weapons, bow and arrows and the like, then putting the rest into other preps. Talk me out of or into it. Looking forward to your thoughts.

·
DIY RPG's
1,667 Posts
as many as it takes.
i don't see gun fights on a daily basis. and after the first 3 months most ammo will have been spent from the people who don't stock pile. other than military, police and prepers who stock piles 3000 rounds of just one type of round?

don't get me wrong i plan to stock pile ammo and weapons with interchangeable parts.
but i don't see me using that many lest were invaded after the shtf. but having extra is nice and insurance is a good feeling.

·
Registered
342 Posts
I've taken a step back and looked at myself and realized, I have been obsessed with ammunition lately. When I go to the range I notice I pay more attention to where the brass hits than the bullet:D That has stopped.
I have enough for myself, realistically, to survive 2 or 3 times longer than I will live. Truth is, if you are trading lead w/ anyone, you probably didn't prepare enough. I plan to be well hidden. I can't see needing thousands of rounds of ammo.

That said, if you do happen to have a monstrous supply, and are wise to NEVER tell, it will be a great trading/barter tool. As long as you don't trade a pile of ammo to a future enemy:eek:

·
Registered
915 Posts
This isn't as easy to answer as it seems. My plan is to remain hidden, and only "come out" after several months in order to trade. I will need to use ammunition to take game, and possibly for defense of my retreat. Now, in the very likely event that the overcrowded projects in the 2 nearby towns bust loose, and somehow I am in the path of the starving, dope lusting thugs, I can easily see a couple of thousand rounds going downrange. The only reason I stockpile ammo is because 1. There wont be any more cases to be ordered off of the internet and 2. The ammo I will have in a SHTF event will only be what I have right now. I cannot count on "finding" some laying around, or even trading for some.

·
Registered
337 Posts
yeah i dont plan on being in gun battles. i like the idea of having enough to last that gun a life time, cuz i think there will be a day when ammo is unavailable to normal people, and a gun with no bulletts is kinda useless. they will be some of the most valuable things post SHTF cuz so many people dont prep. even a lot of country folk and hunters only keep a small amount of ammo on hand. if you are in gun fights and you win, to the victor go the spoils baby.

·
Country Boy In The City..
246 Posts
Where's the option for none? Simply because I don't own a firearm yet. I look to avoid confrontation but my neighbor has plenty of guns to go around if the need comes down to it.

·
Banned
6,670 Posts
This is not something that can be estimated without knowing exactly what scenario we will be facing.

It could be that I won't ever fire a shot in anger and the only ammo expanded will be on hunting. If things get really bad, you could fire anywhere between 20 and 10000 rounds (if you have it) in just one fire fight.

You should redo the poll with a few scenario choices. That would give you a better idea.

·
33 30 38 20 34 45 56 52
412 Posts
As close as possible to zero.
Keep a low profile, not be seen, not be bothered with.
Use traps for protein, fishing, farming.
btw....traps are not only for animals.
Crossbows can propel many types of bolts.

·
Hoist the colors
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Between TEOTWAWKI and TEOBSAWKH (The End Of Budget Survivalist As We Knew Him) it could add up to 10s of 1000s of rounds. I still plan on plinking once the world finishes mopping up all of the s*** and figures out what to do with that stinky fan.
If you are up against anything that requires 10's of 1000's of rounds, chances are you are not going to last that long.

·
Hoist the colors
49 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
This isn't as easy to answer as it seems. My plan is to remain hidden, and only "come out" after several months in order to trade. I will need to use ammunition to take game, and possibly for defense of my retreat. Now, in the very likely event that the overcrowded projects in the 2 nearby towns bust loose, and somehow I am in the path of the starving, dope lusting thugs, I can easily see a couple of thousand rounds going downrange. The only reason I stockpile ammo is because 1. There wont be any more cases to be ordered off of the internet and 2. The ammo I will have in a SHTF event will only be what I have right now. I cannot count on "finding" some laying around, or even trading for some.
My plan is somewhat like yours:
1. Lay low
2. Produce what I can/ live off preps at the retreat
3. Have a good defense (layered, improvised devices)

I think it prudent to recon the surrounding area daily. I believe that 99% of the sheeple that make it to the area, won't have a clue if you are pointing a 1858 Remington or a 1911 at them. If the shooting starts, I'm willing to bet that most will leave riki tik. I'm just brainstorming here folks.

·
Registered
915 Posts
My plan is somewhat like yours:
1. Lay low
2. Produce what I can/ live off preps at the retreat
3. Have a good defense (layered, improvised devices)

I think it prudent to recon the surrounding area daily. I believe that 99% of the sheeple that make it to the area, won't have a clue if you are pointing a 1858 Remington or a 1911 at them. If the shooting starts, I'm willing to bet that most will leave riki tik. I'm just brainstorming here folks.
Exactly. I live near a river, so I can fish year round (already do), and the hunting is great here. I have little doubt that wild game will be hunted without mercy, so I am not about to plan my survival around hunting. Hunting will only be a supplement, if you will. I plan to farm, fish, collect fruits. nuts, and berries, and occasionally take game. When I do go hunting, it will be with a canned firearm, I can promise you that. Hopefully once the initial kill offs and starvations are over, I will be able to trade goods or services for what I don't have.

1 - 20 of 121 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.