Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Depends on how you shoot it

When I turned 18 that was the first gun I ever bought. Living out in the hills I used it almost everyday for dinner and other stuff. But I also shot it every week with friends ect at a tune of about 2000 rounds a week at a very fast rate of fire. From personel experience about 70,000 rounds at rapid fire does a bad job on them. Also wore out a few mags figured out heck you have to clean em too. What what a concept. So after a year it was in bad shape. Took it into our gunsmith and he just laughted. Told me I was a fool and how did I expect anything to go thru the trouble I put it thru. So he showed me how to clean it and we took it out. Shot so bad. So he put some thing on it to get rid of any lead and we did it again. He said the barrel was toast. So He orderd another one and it shot great. Then I had a problem with the spring. So that got replaced. Heck I still can outshoot most people with that little bugger. But I do have to remove some of that old bubba stuff I put on in the 80s. Good old LL Baston company helped with that. But the faster you shoot it the more it wears. The barrel expands and then the bullets can wear it down faster. Slow shooting I would say to never worry about it.

·
Adventurer
19,333 Posts
i have put thousands of rounds through mine no problems i recomend using the factory mags my experience with the others hasnt ben the best tho those 50 rnd stick mags can be fun
if your worried about parts breaking and i have yet to see anything break would be the spring as thats usualy the most abused part of any weapon and theyr about 15-20 bucks
rugers are robust and will probably outlast you

Reactions: boy george fan

·
Hostile to outsiders
174 Posts
my grandfather got one back in 76. It got passed down to me a few years back. no telling how many rounds he put through it. Ive put nearly 8 or 9 k through it myself

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,281 Posts
I have friends who have put 100,000 rounds or more through theirs over the decades and the gun is still like new. You'll end up replacing springs now and then, but they're a normal replacement part anyway. For the most part, it will last you forever. Same with most .22 pistols. I have a 22/45 with 50,000 rounds through it that is like new. They just smooth out nicely as you use them.

·
Registered
2,255 Posts
As an Instructor with the Appleseed Program (www.appleseedinfo.org) I have not seen a 10/22 break yet.

At around 10,000 rounds it really smooths out though ;)

I would say that as long as you lube the gun there is no limit as to how many rounds it will last.

The gun is built better than any other commonly available .22 rifle on the market.

If you treat it right, it will last indefinitely.

r m

·
Registered
36 Posts
This thread just makes me have more and more respect for the 10/22 as an excellent survival rifle, and with the cost of ammo there is no reason someone shouldn't know a 10/22 like the back of their hand.

My rifle is probably 7 years old now and has upwards of 5k rounds. All stock parts, with the exception of a recoil buffer I added simply because I wanted to.

Think of putting over 5k rounds through any other centerfire weapon...something is bound to need replacing-- and the parts are often reinforced. .22s are very easy on guns.

·
Registered
2,258 Posts
If fired regulary and cleaned ofter I think it would last one day past forever!!

Mine is from the 70's -- now I need another new extractor - the only parts I have replaced so far - firing pin, spring and 3 extractors.

fire several thousand rounds a year

·
Registered
4,318 Posts
100k rounds.
way over that already.... Im in the 200k range in less then a year at 525 a trip was 15 mins of time... or so.. lets just say finish wont last long on the silver ones it chips away not a big deal to me.. maintained the gun should out last you... and your kids.. and there kids..

Id say in the 3-4million range Im not talking about converted to full auto watch it fly...

only things I did to it was after frist time shooting it changed the target disconect hammer.. sear bolt buffer(a must less clang clang) change the bolt buffer and thats it it last for years and years.. because that alone mades a big diffrence for wear.. you could break a spring but for me thats never happend even with other .22 guns with millions of rounds fired in them

Most .22 will last a long time the only thing I dont like is the plastic trigger houseing in the new 10/22.. It really sucks.. it wears out kind of quick just takeing it apart in and out to clean..

·
Registered
15 Posts
I bought mine back in 1991 and it still shoots like the day I bought it. I have no idea how many rounds I have put through it, but if I had to guess, I would put the number somewhere around 50,000 give or take. I have had a couple of clips break on me, but I suppose you expect that, especially when talking about clips made of plastic.

·
Doubts Most Everything
5,618 Posts
...I have had a couple of clips break on me, but I suppose you expect that, especially when talking about clips made of plastic.
I can't imagine a 10/22 breaking, what broke?
You can easily take them apart for cleaning, maybe that's what they need.

- OS

1 - 20 of 35 Posts