Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 47 Posts

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I was just curious how many of us own a wind up watch. I have 3 and they are old Timex military things. I also wonder who has a wind up alarm clock. If thing really do get bad do you have spare batteries for watches etc?

The correct term for a wind up watch is Mechanical and a self winding watch is called an Automatic.

http://www.imsplus.com/benrus-watch-wrist-u-s-army-general-purpose-mil-w-46374.html (This one may be a goodie)

http://www.imsplus.com/mechanical-movement-general-purpose-watch.html May be bingo

·
Banned
1,798 Posts
Good point. Your BOB should definitely include one of those little clamshell wind-up travel alarm clocks. Find them on Ebay.

·
Registered
133 Posts
i have a timex kenetic ..never wind and doesnt take a battery..had it since 97 .havent had any need for another watch since i got it

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
Yes, but I am a little embarrassed to wear it, and I think it is worth more as a collectible!
:thumb:

but when I received it for my birthday in 3rd grade, I had to punch extra holes in the band for my spindly little stick arms! LOL

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I still have a wind up Helbros I got for graduation from high school.
It runs and keeps time like it was new.

Also a couple of self winding Seiko's), I got in Nam.. they still work also, but had to have one cleaned a couple of years ago.

·
Hunter/Farmer
1,950 Posts
I like the big old pocket watches.:D:
Here's my favorite Elgin,.....keeps perfect time if I remember to wind it.

Attachments

Reactions: arrexian

·
dum dum
1,249 Posts
I still have a wind up Helbros I got for graduation from high school.
It runs and keeps time like it was new.

Also a couple of self winding Seiko's), I got in Nam.. they still work also, but had to have one cleaned a couple of years ago.
Would love to see pics of those Seiko's! I recently joined a group for watch collectors, and decided my first vintage watched will be Asian market self-winding Seiko's...bend my ear about those if you ever get bored!

·
Registered
156 Posts
I do have a wind up alarm clock, soothing to fall asleep to the ticking... I would like to find a wind up watch, any recommendations for something under $100?

Radar

·
cute is not always enough
2,232 Posts
I have a Timex automatic watch. I have wanted an automatic watch for years. I would like a Brietling or a Mondovo but can not afford that kind of luxury.

Automatic watches seem to have made a bit of a come back a few years ago. I was surprised how many were in the display case at the department store and that there were plenty that were affordable.

·
veldskoen no socks
2,715 Posts
I have a wind up alarm clock somewhere, with the big bells on the top, used it for the loud tick tock, lulled my daughter to sleep,obviously we did not set the thing, sounded like a fire engine.

·
Registered
816 Posts
I have a Timex automatic watch. I have wanted an automatic watch for years. I would like a Brietling or a Mondovo but can not afford that kind of luxury.

Automatic watches seem to have made a bit of a come back a few years ago. I was surprised how many were in the display case at the department store and that there were plenty that were affordable.
get a Tag Heuer, they are awesome. I love mine. I am just afraid to wear it anywear

·
Registered
3,376 Posts

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
I got a wrist Timex with day and date, that was assembled in taiwan, belonged to my step Grandpa.
Got two pocket ones somewhere (one has date), packed in BOB or LBE stuff.
The day feature might come in handy, but the date feature sucked.
Got four alarm clocks. Came in handy when power was off before bed time. Got up in time for work, no worries.
Woke up to find power came on during the night, flashing 12:00 electric alarm clock was no help.

·
Registered
218 Posts
I have a Russian military self-winding watch. I put it on a wide OD color band with a flap that covers the entire thing. It stays in my BOB waiting for duty.

1 - 20 of 47 Posts