Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Trump=WhiteObama=BlkBush
10,176 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We grew just 25 feet of peas this year - Alaska is the variety. We never seem to have enough ripe at the same time to make dinner for the two of us, let alone enough to freeze or can. But we're still just building up our garden again after years of neglect.

I'd like to put up 40 or 50 pints of peas which means I really need 10 or 12 pints ready at the same time. (I know not this year, just thinking for next year.)

Do any of you grow enough peas that you have enough to can or freeze? How many feet did you grow and how much did you get to can?

Reactions: lanahi

·
Registered
4,804 Posts
Don't know the answer to that either since this is the first time I've grown peas. You CAN keep adding peas to the freezer until you have enough for a meal, though, or enough to can.
By the way, there is no reason you can't plant peas for a fall garden too. They can tolerate some frost. You can plant several other vegetables (the cool season veggies) for the fall as well, and a few root crops you can leave in the ground for quite awhile into the winter. When you harvest one crop, plant more peas.

·
Registered
173 Posts
I've always heard they aren't worth the trouble. In the amount of space it takes to grow peas to eat, you could grow 2-3x more veggies of a different kind.

Now I love peas as much as the next person so maybe that doesn't matter to you, but I think you gotta plant lots and lots and lots to get a resonable amount. I just stick to green beans.

·
Enjoying Life
620 Posts
I have planted as much as 5 to 6 rows of peas that are 75 ft long. When they are ready I have plenty to can at one time. usually will pick 2 or three times canning after each pick. ten we eat out of the garden and offer the rest to the neighbors. More is better if you have the room. BTW I dont spend much time weeding the garden.

·
Dangerously wild legume
44 Posts
I planted about 15 feet in late feb. They put on quick and every week or so its enough harvest for addition to a stew or stir fry, but nothing like 15 feet of squash or tomatoes would produce:thumb:.

·
I have control issues
7,103 Posts
I plant peas around the perimeter edges of my garden, so that they can "trellis" up the fencing. That way, they take up very little space, and what little they DO use is in border areas that won't accomodate anything else. It leave the REST of the beds available for the other plantings. As to how MUCH to plant, I'm still figuring that out...mainly because I have to fight the local wildlife population for my peas!

·
We will not go quietly
275 Posts
I had to laugh because I really don't know how many peas to plant but for me it is never enough. I eat as many as I can. I just wish I could grow them year round.

I tried Alaska one year and didn't like them. They didn't produce enough for me. I like Little Marval or Laxton Progress.

Planting radishes with them helps. I planted 2 rows of peas one year and in the next row planted onions halfway down one row and finished the row with radishes. The peas beside the radishes produced 3 times the amount of the peas beside the onions. It was not unusual to get 3-4 gallons of peas in the shell out of 2 25 foot rows 2 times a week for 3 weeks.

If you plant them to late they will not produce because they do not like the heat.

I now plant in raised beds and plant them around wire cones. I have 250 pea plants out this year but don't know how they would look in rows.

·
I have control issues
7,103 Posts
I had to laugh because I really don't know how many peas to plant but for me it is never enough. I eat as many as I can. I just wish I could grow them year round.

I tried Alaska one year and didn't like them. They didn't produce enough for me. I like Little Marval or Laxton Progress.

Planting radishes with them helps. I planted 2 rows of peas one year and in the next row planted onions halfway down one row and finished the row with radishes. The peas beside the radishes produced 3 times the amount of the peas beside the onions. It was not unusual to get 3-4 gallons of peas in the shell out of 2 25 foot rows 2 times a week for 3 weeks..
I do a lot of companion planting, and everything I've read on the subject says NOT to plant onions (or any member of the onion family) with peas or other legumes, because the onions inhibit the growth of the legumes. Lettuce, spinach, chard, celery, carrots, radishes, etc. are all good with peas (the "leafy greens" especially like the shade from the peas), but onions are a no-no.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.