Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 44 Posts

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've started transferring all of my sugar, salt, cornmeal, oats, ect into pop bottles and sealing them up. I have all of my beans and rice and such in 5 gallon buckets. Who else here is doing food storage in bottles?

·
Registered
201 Posts
We're NOT soda drinkers here, so maybe I should start junk-picking on recycle day..hehe.
Is this really worth the hassle ? If so, I'll sure consider it.

Now, we DO have enough beer cans to make 3 million little burners, but that's another story. Yuk.

·
Registered
58 Posts
I have been saving some of the v-8 juice containers to do this, but I haven't stored anything in them yet. Just have them cleaned and ready for my next trip to costco when I pick up some salt and other spices.

·
Registered
5,613 Posts
I discovered a couple of years back that a 550 pack of 22 lr will just fit in a 20 ounce soda bottle. Ever sense I have been keeping the 3 or so 20 ounce soda bottles I drink a week. After puting the rounds in a thoroughly dried bottle, I will smear a little silicon over the threads on the bottle to seal the cap. This provides far more protection of the ammunition than the box it came in and unless the ammo cans your using are in immaculate condition with new rubber seals, consistently better than surplus ammo cans. To open it up when I need one just take a knife to the top of it and cut the top off.

I raise a lot of my own cooking herbs and although I have been stowing them away in mason jars, I am seriously considering using soda bottles for this as well. This would most likely prove to be a safe way to store them and not have to risk the jars being broken. I am already storing salt and pepper in bulk this way and it seems to be working pretty well.

As far as food since I occasionally get a 3 littler soda bottles I have been putting things like beans, rice, dried okara, dried peppers, instant Mashed Potatos. Might start using them for a couple of other things as I accumulate more of these soda bottles. The wide mouths on them make them much better suited for this than the 2 little bottles.

Hopefully there will be more replies here on this and I can get some more ideas on what else can be stored this way.

·
Registered
2,989 Posts
No not me.

for some reason, it just doesnt seem like the way to go. I store everything in its original container, inside a larger zipper bag.

If I want to go full on long term storage, Ill go get the buckets.

·
Registered
367 Posts
I think I'm going to "recycle" some soda bottles at our next school fair. We rarely ever buy soda at home, but I could get a good thirty or forty bottles easily at school.

·
Registered
430 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I've been using all of my 3 liters for things that would be a little difficult to get out of the openings on the 2 liters. In the 2 liters, I can fit 4 boxes of salt or a 4 ib bag of sugar. The only trick is to squeeze the bottles slightly as your funneling the stuff in to make it settle down in the bottle to make room for more.

·
Thread Killer
781 Posts
I do the same with milk jugs. I rinse them out with hot water and refill them with tap water. If nothing else I figure I can at least flush the toilet.
I would advise against this. The plastic in milk jugs deteriorates faster and you will end up with a wet pantry/closet/whatever when the jugs no longer holds.

·
wide awake
143 Posts
I use 2 liter bottles for various things (mostly water), but I also save #10 cans. You can vacuum seal anything (beans, rice, etc.) into pkgs small enough to fit inside. Emergency Essentials sells the lids for #10 cans on their site. The cans stack better than the 2 liter bottles do too.

·
Wild Edibles Expert
10,167 Posts
Definitely... plastic and glass, and wine bottles and champagne bottles, many of them take a press-on cap. In fact, I put 50 pounds of salt in 25 scotch bottles... that's dedication... For long-term storage I leave nothing in the original package because of insects here in Florida.

·
Getting Older
1,233 Posts
Definitely... plastic and glass, and wine bottles and champagne bottles, many of them take a press-on cap. In fact, I put 50 pounds of salt in 25 scotch bottles... that's dedication... For long-term storage I leave nothing in the original package because of insects here in Florida.
Heck, putting the stuff in wine bottles could be decorative. I have a neat collection of over priced empty beer bottles that I may put to use.

·
Bleach blonde on fire :p
6,173 Posts
We're NOT soda drinkers here, so maybe I should start junk-picking on recycle day..hehe.
Is this really worth the hassle ? If so, I'll sure consider it.

Now, we DO have enough beer cans to make 3 million little burners, but that's another story. Yuk.

Use the beer cans to make a solar can heater. We built one from the taller cans (collected from neighbors) to make a solar can heater to heat our utility room in the winter. We collected info from the net and then did it as a homeschool project, really easy and fun to make with kids.

As for the pop bottles been using them for years, buckets just too bulky for us.

·
Registered
212 Posts
those milk bottles i was always lead to belive was a big NO NO because lilnasties get into the crevices we cant see and just hang out waiting to spoil whatever food you put in them
if your using them and have no problems i could be wrong but ill pass

1 - 20 of 44 Posts