Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 94 Posts

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I've read hundreds of threads here on how many firearms (and of what caliber, purpose, brand, configuration, etc) one should own. And I've read many many hundreds of threads on how much ammo one should stockpile.

But I haven't seen any other threads dedicated to how many magazines one should own. Sure, the topic has been mentioned in many other threads, but never as the main topic, and I've never seen it discussed in sufficient detail to where I felt all of my questions were answered. So here it is!

Here's what I currently have. Do I have too many? Too few?

HK MR762 .308 -- 1x 10 rd, 4x 20 rd. I'd like a few more, but they are pricey!

Savage 11/111 Trophy Hunter XP .308 -- 4x 4 rd. This is primarily for hunting, or perhaps backing up the MR762 in a DMR type of role if needed, but with a 4 round capacity, God help me if that ever proves necessary. Would love to have a few 10+ round mags for this.

3x Beretta CX4 Storm 9mm, and 1x PX4 Storm 9mm -- 29x 20 rd. That's 8 per carbine, plus 5 for the handgun.

Sig P229 9mm -- 3x 13 rd.

S&W Shield 9mm -- 2x 7 rd, 4x 8 rd.

3x 12g shotguns - no magazines.

How many magazines should one have? What are the factors that go into this? How does the answer differ based on weapon type, or caliber? Does it differ based on how many of the same weapon you own, or based on how much ammo you have? Is there some other important factor?

·
Ephemerally here
6,875 Posts
Magazines are Just Like Horsepower. There Just Ain't No Such Thing as Enough! A Few More Is ALWAYS better!

Speed/Magazines Cost Money - How much You want?

Drop a Magazine Just One Time, Just Right, and It will never be Trustworthy again. You satisfied with Hand Loading Your Guns, One Round At A Time?

I know there are folks who have Way Motr than I. I have somewhere North of 50 Magazines for My MBR, and More Than Twenty for My Pistol.

·
Registered
331 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Ok, but how do you arrive at that number? For ammo stockpiling, people have various theories - 2,000 per rifle, because that's roughly 10 combat loads, and that's the most you could reasonably expect to use before you're dead. Or 50,000 per caliber, because I want to dominate the post apocalyptic market for ammo. Or 200 rounds of hunting ammo, because that's 10 large game animals per year for 20 years.

What is the rationale for magazines? How do you arrive at 30 for your MBR?

·
Registered
2,513 Posts
At Least 20 Total For Each Firearm And Why ...

Mags are like ammo. You will use them up. Probably non recoverable if ever needed and employed. Just let them go. Same as with firearms. You will never be able to command and control everything. Probably 90% of what you stock pile you will never be able to access and bring to bear. This includes guns, mags and ammo. That plus there are too many other needful things that will need to be done.

·
Banned
46,784 Posts
At the range -- 10/22 - cease fire is called - check / replace targets ---- start reloading -- :thumb:

5 - 25 round mags covered it -- now that the emperor decreed them illegal and they were tossed in the lake -- :rolleyes:

Now I have about 12 - 10 rounders --- that's all I bring with me ;)

·
Registered
34,722 Posts
Ok, but how do you arrive at that number? For ammo stockpiling, people have various theories - 2,000 per rifle, because that's roughly 10 combat loads, and that's the most you could reasonably expect to use before you're dead. Or 50,000 per caliber, because I want to dominate the post apocalyptic market for ammo. Or 200 rounds of hunting ammo, because that's 10 large game animals per year for 20 years.

What is the rationale for magazines? How do you arrive at 30 for your MBR?
1: standard load out fir use (typically 7-10)
2: standard load out for training/tearing up/will dent/break/wear out at the range.
3. Standard load out for backup. (Not sitting loaded, in the truck, in thd vest, etc)

Few spairs....
=21+++

Then "more is better" you asked about minimum numbers

·
Learning
6,681 Posts
5 for your Main semi auto rifle?

Not enough. You think they are pricy now wait until a ban or restriction is on the horizon. At times certain mags were completely unavailable at any price.

I say at least 10 stored and at least 10 to work with. You don't need anymore for your bolt action though. You have enough for the shield unless you are planning to take a class with it. All fighting handguns should have 6 to 10. I know I need 10 for most competitions I enter plus spares.

You don't have near enough.

·
Registered
1,108 Posts
7 for a battle rifle (1 in the gun and a full battle loadout).

4 for a handgun.

2 (so you have a spare) for a hunting rifle.

Now, those are mins, not max. Max is a budget question, since you can't have too many if you are not sacrificing other preps to them.

·
Registered
7,005 Posts
The only thing you need to know is if certain capacity magazines are banned tomorrow then the mags you own now are all the mags you'll ever have. Best buy however many you think you'll need for the life of your firearm...that way you won't have to worry about mags again...simple

·
Registered
2,689 Posts
1 - 20 of 94 Posts