Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Out of my extensive shotgun and rifle battery,I chose years ago as pack rifle/shotgun combo a Springfield M-6 Scout.My first purchase at the age of 18 was a M-6 in .22mag over.410 with quite a few modifications and this was 17 years ago.In 99 during the Y2K fiasco,I purchased 2 more Scouts,one 22lr and one in .22Hornet over .410.All have proven their worth,with slight modifications such as a nylon Allen cartridge carrier cut down to size and epoxied to the buttstock for ease and accessability of .410 shotshells with out getting into the buttstock compartment.Next was a strategically wrapped forearm in 550 cord(approx.30ft)and a addition of a sling these little rifles have taken a many head of game.With the addition of the Hornet a fixed 2.5x Leupold was added and has proven to be great little game getter.But the standard .22lr/.410 is my favorite for camping and hiking the Appalachian Trail.I know there is a thread by a gentleman of the name V.Shrake of a similar modification on Google.Don't know who modified theirs first.Mine was modified 17 years ago on the .22mag/.410,so I'm not taking credit for anything or trying to steal anyone elses ideas,but these little rifles have been with me for sometime now and are worth their weight in gold to me.

·
Illic Ero Eventus
245 Posts
Awesome Firearm

I have one. I bought it a while back and paid much more for it than it originally cost. They are going for $600 to $800 bucks NIB on gunbroker. I rarely see used ones for sale. The gun is perfect for survival game gathering IMHO. I have taken two rabbits, 3 squirrels with the .22lr and put down a coyote with a slug through the .410!

I tried to epoxy a shell carrier to the outside and f'd it up. Now I have epoxy residue on the buttstock. What kind of epoxy did you use?

For those that read this post, if you are wanting a good survival rifle -- get a scout. Check out this article on it.

Http://www.oldjimbo.com/survival/v-shrake/m6.html

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Cutter,
I used a clear epoxy by 3M.I don't have the name handy,the last tube is in the workshop.I purchased it in the automotive section at Walmart.The first mod I did on the .22mag M-6 back in 1991 I used the old faithfull JB Weld and it's still holding to this day.

·
Registered
1,546 Posts
I have a 22 Hornet over 410 that I did many of the Shake modifications for a shell carrier I put a standard shotgun shell sock over the stock and stuffed a emergency blanket and emergency poncho in it to fill it out, one of the shotgun shell slots holds a tube of life boat matches. Wrapped in the para cord forearm I put a flat bladed paracord 5 inch fixed blade knife with a para cord handle. I put a 25 rifle cartridge sling that holds 25 410 shells of various loads and put a pouch that holds 100 22 Hornet rounds of various hand loads as well a velcro tape on a compass that sticks to the sling. Even with all the extras I still weight in at less than a standard rifle and it fits in my BOB.

·
Registered
880 Posts
22 Hornet over 410 black. Every time I touch the black, I have to rub the spot or it quickly gets surface rust - suggestions appreciated... Thanks!

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
DudeZXT,
Have you tried Birchwood Casey Sheath Rust preventative spray.One of my 3 normally stays in the vehicle and I spray it down with the above sheath rust preventative spray and this displaces a lot of moisture from the surface.My 3 M-6 Scouts are all parkerized and still rust without preventive maintenance.I have a friend who has one in the blue,which I'm assuming is the finish you have.He went ahead and sprayed his with Rustoleum flat black for a while and when it would get scuffed,he buffed it out with 0000 steel wool and resprayed it.He finally ordered some Gun-kote from Brownells and refinished his Springfield and hasn't had any problems thus far and this was done several years ago.Gun-Kote is a very durabable finish,I use it on some of my custom blades and it'll take a lot of abuse and protect against corrosion.Hope this helps.

·
Registered
77 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
They are ugly but very practical great for putting meat on the table.They are what they are a Survival Rifle,when the U.S. Airforce issued these to pilots flying over Alaska they were made by Ithica and only had a 14" barrel,the last one I seen on Gunbroker auction off at $3500 of course it was a class2 short rifle and a original Ithica manufacturer.

·
Registered
73 Posts
Could anyone out there tell me where to get a m-6, now that they aren't made anymore?? I LOVE 'em! Hey, they are Czech,right??

·
Registered
7 Posts
I bought mine at cabelas three years ago. It is the ss 22hornet model. They had in the back. The sales person didn't know anything about it. I bought it for $190.00 NIB. I had a stupid grin the entire ride home! Can you believe I actually got a deal at cabelas!!!

1 - 11 of 11 Posts