Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I keep "enough." Mainly because if our BOV were completely empty (which it never is) we still have enough stored to get to our farthest possible BOL if we need to. If it were full then with what we have stored we would have twice as much as we need to get there.
The other reason we keep it is just in case there is a major storm with power outages that causes a temporary shortage on fuels.

I'm not sure if I'm in the minority or the majority with this part but I've never worried about using any kind of additive to make the gas stay good longer. My thinking is this: as long as I rotate the gas about once a month (and I always do) then it will always be ready to use when I need it. Both of the possible uses I have for my storage gasoline would be fine because I know gas will last a lot longer than a month and I only would need it for a few days to get to the BOL or in the other scenario for maybe a week or two at most after a major storm. Kind of like the opposite of how food storage is, in other words, if you have a type of food that only keeps for 3 months, you wouldn't need a 1 year supply of it, it would be pointless. Well, if you can only store about a week or two's worth of gasoline for driving around, why bother treating it so it keeps for a year?

However, I recently started thinking if we have much extra after getting to our BOL, it would be nice to have gas that would last longer in case we ever needed to use our vehicle again down the road for something besides getting to the BOL, or for other things such as chainsaws, etc.

So my question for you guys that use the additives to help gasoline keep longer, is can you add it to gasoline that is already up to a month old? Like when we realize that we might not be getting anymore gas? If that is the case what I would do then is buy enough to treat the amount of gas we store, but not add it until something happened, since otherwise it would be a waste as I rotate the gas once a month anyway. Of course then I would have to worry about the unused treatment going bad in it's bottle, but I'm guessing it is good for a pretty long time.

I don't think I will ever be one of the ones who stocks up a whole bunch of gas, treats it for storage, and puts it away. (If there are even people who do that.) What if the gas that was treated to last a year was now a year old and right on the edge of going bad? Better than nothing I guess, but I would rather have untreated gas that I just bought less than a month ago I think.

·
Lux in Tenebris
6,600 Posts
Currently, i am not storing any more than the 1 gal container for my little genie, which i keep a full tank in...

i do store several extra 20lb'er propane tanks in the garage for the grill and genset i wish to buy....

I do have 2ea 5 gal jerry cans stored empty, to be used to fill up from the golf course 500gal tanks at the maintenence shed....I have already reconnoitered the facility after hours and can access the tank to fill jugs if necessary, assuming i can't get to a gas station...

To answer the upcoming comments about my taking the gas, hell yes, in a shtf moment, its gone....

i really dont want to store gas in the garage for fumes/fire hazards......

i am looking at a large, lockable, outdoor deck box to store gas cans/propane tanks in, and am curious about the safety of that set up? spontonaeous combustion and all...

ps...i live in a hoa restricted community, so i have to be careful and covert in my preps.....

·
Registered
494 Posts
IMHO I think you can. You have no idea how long it has been sitting in the tanks at the gas station. If you are only talking a month or so you should be fine. I rotate mine every 6 months so do use Stabil. I am starting to keep larger amounts. I have 3 Drums coming in the next few weeks that I am going to start using along with all the cans I have sitting full now. I don't have time to be constantly filling cans to rotate them as often as you do. Good idea if you have the time though.

·
Registered
549 Posts
Yes, with modern fuels, treatment is very important, even if storing for shorter periods. A month, you are fine though. Its a real pain to rotate the entire stock though. That's a lot of fuel.

·
Banned
647 Posts
Gas goes bad, even with addatives, so this is my advice to you and I will take my own advice if something huge ever goes down. The highways and major streets in all towns and cities will be literal parking lots. Either you wont be able to use a vehicle to travel so gas is worthless or, youll have an ample supply with a gas can and about 8 feet of plastic tubing accompanied by a box of your favorite tic tacs to aid in soothing that gasoline breath youll have.

·
Registered
494 Posts
Psyop Soldier an old propane tank seem to work fine. The local Coop uses them for fuel trailers all the time for construction job sites. When they won't pass pressure tests any longer they convert then to fuel trailers that you can rent. Most of the time it is for Diesel because that is what heavy equipment so I know for sure it works for that.

·
dog bites...owner shoots!
206 Posts
I keep a few 55 gallon drums of gasoline...I rotate them out every 90 days! We keep a little diesel around also...bout 250 gallons...it last alot longer! I also keep a dozen big bottles of stabile for long term storage if neccesary! Here in the ole south we've seen several fuel shortages due to hurricanes & tornado's! It pays to be prepared for anything! :thumb:

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
That reminds me, today is the first day of Hurricane season. I try to keep about one hundred gallons of fuel, stored in 20 gas cans in a small storage shed. I rotate them out (approx every 3 months). I also keep full tanks of gas in my two vehicles (approx another 30). Wife wifes car (usually below 1/2 tank) is another story..I keep a list of which cans have been sitting the longest and use those first..

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,241 Posts
I don't store gas, but I do store diesel. I keep two 55 gallon drums. As I'm rotating from one, I'm filling the other. If the SHTF, that's when I'll add preservative. I used to preserve it then rotate it yearly or so. But it just makes more sense to keep it in regular rotation and preserve it if/when there is a need.

·
Registered
376 Posts
I keep 3 5-gal containers and rotate them out, so quality is never an issue. Mine rotate in about 2 months and have never had a problem. Like you, I keep my Stabil and would only add it if I find we are in for a long run outage.

We ran out of gas here in Charlotte in 2008 for about 10 days. Frankly, I think it was a test to see how people would react because the excuses they gave were ridiculous. As usual however, my cars were full and I never had to tap into my reserves or sit in line.

As for how long gas sits in gas stations - it's not as long as you might think. Unless you buy your gas at a country store station in a tiny town with no traffic, they probably have fresh stuff at least once a week. It doesn't do them any good to get far more than they need and have to sit on the cash value of the inventory either. Places where I fill up tend to get at least a load in daily. A few of them actually have 5-7 loads per day. This according to the tank drivers that I've talked to and the fact that I almost never drive by during the day when there isn't a tanker unloading.

·
Left the building
9,363 Posts
Keep several 5 gallon cans of gas, and couple of two gallon mix for for chainsaw, weedeater and blower. I go through quite a bit out here, as I use my riding mower a lot, and use it to pull a small trailer around. I re-fill about every 6 months, and if there's any left at that point....I put it in the Jeep. I don't use any additive right now, as I don't keep it stored that long. If something happens where gas is suddenly unavailable....I have some Stabil I'll add. An added note....I never let the tank in Jeep get below half, just in case of an emergency. There's always enough fuel here to top off the tank if I have to.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
IMHO I think you can. You have no idea how long it has been sitting in the tanks at the gas station. If you are only talking a month or so you should be fine.
That's what I was thinking.

I rotate mine every 6 months so do use Stabil. I am starting to keep larger amounts. I have 3 Drums coming in the next few weeks that I am going to start using along with all the cans I have sitting full now. I don't have time to be constantly filling cans to rotate them as often as you do. Good idea if you have the time though.
What kind of drums are you getting? I was thinking of doing something like that, too. The cans don't really take too much time, though. I just empty one into the truck when I need gas, then go to the gas station and fill up the can instead of the truck.

I used to preserve it then rotate it yearly or so. But it just makes more sense to keep it in regular rotation and preserve it if/when there is a need.
I think so, too.

·
Premium Member
424 Posts
I know I read quite regularly that gas goes bad after a year or less. However, we're still working through 2 5-gallon cans from December 2010 in the lawn mower and it's worked fine every time. No Stabil or additives, just regular unleaded. I haven't had the heart to put it in my Jeep, but I suspect it would work there too.

I picked up a little 14-gallon Boat gas thing to go with our 5 5-gallon cans. It has a handle that you can use to pump the gas, so the wife doesn't have to worry about man-handling the gas cans. It would also work well as a siphon container.

·
Registered
477 Posts
I trailer my boat, it has a 115 gal. tank so I keep roughly 100 gallons on hand at all times and I am able to rotate it by enjoying life and fishing. " God Bless America and keep her safe! "

·
Banned
1,885 Posts
I know I read quite regularly that gas goes bad after a year or less. However, we're still working through 2 5-gallon cans from December 2010 in the lawn mower and it's worked fine every time. No Stabil or additives, just regular unleaded. I haven't had the heart to put it in my Jeep, but I suspect it would work there too.
There have been times when I haven't used my pressure washer or chainsaw for over a year, and they still started right up (with the year old gas in them.) I think as long as you have a strong running engine, you should be fine. I keep several bottles of stabil, that would use in the event of a SHTF senerio. My guess is that the 145 gals or so that I would have in my stock probably would be used up by then anyway..I don't think that I could store up enough fuel to last longer then a year.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I keep about 30 gallons in 5-gal containers, with Sta-bil. Someone told me that stored gas loses 1 octane point per month of storage, so I buy 93 octane and rotate within 6 months, so it's never below 87 octane. In a SHTF situation, the gas will be used only to run a genny to pump water from a deep well, and to run a chainsaw for firewood.

·
What would Mal do
4,608 Posts
it's almost a religion that I keep my work trucks closer to full than empty so that's usually about 50 gals between the two of them on hand.

I also keep (10) of the 5 gal cans in a rotation that I use for the lawn (4 acres that I cut) so nothing gets too stale..else I'll toss it in the truck and reload from there.

I also have a boat with a 60gal tank that I always fill at end of each season and stabil so throughout the year I've got relatively fresh gas that I can pull from it if I need to.

I don't try to store any more than that because I can't rotate it enough without extra work or expense that just hasn't made enough sense to me to get into.

we have had pipeline shutdowns due to hurricanes that have left our area very short on gas for up to 3 weeks and my emergency supply of gas has been a big help during 2 of those situations.

my backup generator is gas powered so I keep fuel on hand for that.

I also keep 2 x 5gal cans of kero in winter for emergency heat and we have plenty of propane because we have a travel trailer with spare bottles so the gas is to keep my truck going when there is no one pumping at the stations.

a bug out plan for us is tossing the cans of gas in the bed of the pickup, hooking up to the camper and heading out..as a last resort if the house can no longer be lived in.

·
Registered
494 Posts
A friend is getting me food grade steel barrels that I am going to use for the Fuel and Plastic ones for Water. He can get them for free from the food plant he works at. I just have to pay him for the salvage value he would get for the steel at the recycler.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts