• I quit.

Votes: 35 17.1%
  • I got hurt and can no longer work.

Votes: 28 13.7%
1 - 20 of 162 Posts

·
Taoist
2,028 Posts
Me. 2.5 years long haul truck driver, 12 year clean driving record. I went on medical leave for back/neck issues, got cleared by my doctor for local jobs, and now I can't find one. Of course, NOW it's been so long since I've been behind the wheel of a big rig that I can't get hired, because my experience isn't recent enough.

My husband lost his, and is going through school to finish his EE degree, but I am starting to wonder if HE is going to be able to find a job when he gets out.

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts
Does being self-employed and also UNDER employed count? :)

·
Premium Member
9,224 Posts

·
Not To Reason Why...
1,966 Posts
Medical field and law enforcement, security, goverment jobs, the only jobs right now that are growing and a fast pace and probably always will unless some TEOTWAWKI happens. It only take a year to 2 years to get your CNA for a hospital and you can start anywhere from 15 - 25 an hr.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Laid off after 13 years with a major telecom company in January. Have not found work yet. Prospects are grim. Will stick it out a few more months, then have to make a decision (sell my home, move in with my elderly mother or stick it out hoping to land something that pays enough to cover my alimony, child support, mortgage, and other expenses before I get foreclosed). Neither choice is all that appealing, to be honest.

·
100% Full Battle Rattle
550 Posts
I got fired due to being treated like a piece of trash and me finally having enough and taking it out on people I felt deserved it. While I will pretty much do whatever an employer asks of me as soon as they ask no matter what it is, I have limits and boy have my last few employers taken advantage of my good nature. They recognized that I went WELL above and beyond others who had my job, but they did not recognize that I needed paid in a way that represented the amount of bust ass I did.

·
Registered
4,086 Posts
I got laid of 2 years ago from my construction/carpentry job . I went around to dozens of job sites looking for work . EVERY place I went to looking for work had mostly , or all , immigrants working the jobs [mostly Brazilians] . Noone wanted to hire an experienced older guy [late50s] . Why should they hire me when they could get 3 or 4 illegals for the same money I was getting . Or they wanted a younger , stronger guy that was willing to work for less . So I finally gave up and got 2 part time jobs . 1 driving a truck and 1 in a sporting goods store . Got laid off from the sporting goods store last year . Haven't been able to find another pt job yet .
There have been a few "slow" times during my 30 yrs. in construction/carpentry . But I could always find some work . If carpentry/construction was in a slow down , I could always get work painting , roofing , as a general laborer and even did a little bartending . Now there's nothing . The BIG difference between then and now is the illegals taking all the jobs "Americans don't want to do" .

·
Registered
38 Posts
With the growing number of people loosing their jobs every day, how many here have? How long has this been for?
Does being retired count?? I saw the current situation coming, knew that I could retire so made the jump. Life's been great so far. Actualy bringing in more money than I did the last couple of years I worked. Now, my only concern is how long my SS will continue to keep coming in.

·
Registered
906 Posts
Last Fall I took an early retirement at 50% benefits with full medical and life insurance opposed to high risk of a pink slip. Found a part time job that turned out to be awful. I quit after six weeks. Miraculously I found another part time job which I think will work out. Hopefully all of our current standard bills will be covered as we cut expenses. Better than zero pay or unemployment with no medical insurance. We are thankful and doing my best. Hard to find work at my former good salary and in my mid 50s.
If you are looking for work...have faith in yourself... Keep a list of your skills and experience.... Talk to people eveywhere you can about work... Network face to face and don't give up. To get my current job filling out an application wasn't even required.

·
Registered
906 Posts
I got fired due to being treated like a piece of trash and me finally having enough and taking it out on people I felt deserved it. While I will pretty much do whatever an employer asks of me as soon as they ask no matter what it is, I have limits and boy have my last few employers taken advantage of my good nature. They recognized that I went WELL above and beyond others who had my job, but they did not recognize that I needed paid in a way that represented the amount of bust ass I did.
I know how you feel. My job duties were dissapearing and was being treated badly. I saw a pink slip coming and was able to take a partial retirement.

·
Beans, Bullets, Bandaids
1,351 Posts
After the company I had worked at for 9.5 years closed it's LA office, I have been under-employed...for the past 1.5 years. I'm looking, but with a "published un-employment rate" of 12.9% (actual rate is closer to 20%) it has been slow going.

·
Registered
741 Posts
My dh is ill and will not likely be able to continue to work. So at this point I'm job hunting. I have not worked outside the home in 20 years. There are plenty of jobs for skilled workers here like nurses and physicians. At this point I'm seriously considering college if I can find a way to support us untill I finish.

1 - 20 of 162 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.