Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 51 Posts

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How many people on this site have engaged hostile forces in combat or been under rocket or mortar attack? If so, what war and when? Were you wounded
during your tour....

·
Registered
1,125 Posts
I smell a "If you aint served then keep your mouth shut" thread starting.

Reactions: anchorbanger

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Tackleberry,

Not at all, Im just trying to find out how many have experience in the "ultimate survival challenge"......surviving a firefight.......although it would behoove you to learn from someone's experience in that area.....

·
ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒ&
8,248 Posts
I served during the first gulf war. Did not have the honor of being there. My unit (25th ID-light) had the responsibility of the pacific basin.

However, regarding engaging in armed combat, the answer would be yes. In the mid 90's, I was working a p/t job as an armed security officer at high-risk apartments and latino nightclubs in Dallas. On two separate occasions about two years apart, I was fired on at close range (less than 20 yards) resulting in a subsequent exchange of gunfire.

On a third (an unrelated occasion) an unknown assailant fire at me from range. He missed-barely.

One at least three other occasions while involed in EMS assignments, we have had weapons drawn on us as well as having to take cover while shots were exchanged.

Does that count?

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Vietnam War May 1969-May 1970......Quang Tri, Quang Ngae, Phu Bai, RVN
no war stories...I survived numerous firefights, mostly ambushes(us being ambushed), numerous mortar attacks ...received slight concussion from mortars...worst ambush occurred when we went to the aid of a marine CAP unit...north west of Chu Lai, RVN, they hit us as soon as the choppers landed, lost a few friends.....

·
American fearmaker
14,245 Posts
I did 19 months in Viet Nam with the 173D Airborne Brigade. I started off as a mortarman, got into a recon platoon, got to weasel my way into sniper school and ended up with a line infantry platoon for my last 6 months or so. I got dinged a little bit but no Purple Hearts or anything. I broke an ankle over there and was able to con the medics into letting me stay with my unit until it healed. We were so short people that they reluctantly agreed to let me stay in-country rather than evacuate me to Japan. Besides, I would have felt really bad if I had left and something had happened while I wasn't there. All things considered, I came out okay and learned a lot about other people and myself. I wouldn't have wished what I went through on my worst enemy but I think I also needed to go through my time over there too. I grew up a little bit over there...

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
From Henry V....St. Crispins Day speech

From this day to the ending of the world,
But we in it shall be remembered;
We few, we happy few, we "band of Brothers";
For he today that sheds his blood with me
shall be my brother......
Yes, Herd Sniper, We were the lucky ones....and we are brothers....

·
Banned
630 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
Solidus,

Were you wounded by IED or mortar? Welcome back , Brother! It took me a year to get used to being home, I had sleep problems as well, was jumpy as hell around noise, continually found myself looking for my rifle, helmet and flak jacket when I got up to go somewhere, Took a while to get the word F**King out of every sentence I spoke... I felt lost and out of place......

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
A stray mortar fragment strafed my left arm leaving a gash. Nothing serious in hindsight, but you bet your ass I thought I was dying!

I still use the F word like every other sentence I say. (Unfortunately.) I like you get nervous around loud noises and at times have had uncontrollable urges to cry. There's been several times where I've held my hand on top of my head thinking I'm holding down my helmet.

My problem is that I left to Scandinavia in 2000. I was abroad when I saw on the news the twin towers being hit. That made me take a trip home and sign up for a tour. After I served my time in hell, I went back to Scandinavia. (Which helped alienate me even more.)

·
Registered
88 Posts
Afghanistan 2002-2003 with the D Co 2/504 PIR 82nd. As for combat i catch myself talking about it when I usally dont want, a stranger or relative asking to many questions. I had some close calls but the Lord looked out for me. I hated getting incoming at nite. durning the day atleast more people were awake. one nite on radio guard i was the only one who saw where a mortar landed in our base, which happen to be just a small fob near a air feild. spent the whole day with just one army lt and 2 afghan locals driving around a Toyota hilux learning to drive a standard for the first time really :).
I was mainly a gunner on a MK-19 truck with a 249 saw, mossberg shotgun, and randomy using the ITAS (imporived TOW). I always thought myself lucky to not be walking everywhere. My driver who was in the military for a month before we left drove us straight into a mine feild and that wasnt fun. but like i said i felt as though i was being watched over all the time. I got credited for findin many mortor postions set up on hill tops with deleyed fuses the bastards. rockets aimed right at our base set to go off the following nite. always got shot up doing convoys, from helping SF do their thing to helpin civial affairs droppin off pencils and pens. I had a SSG yell at me and say he was going to shot me for disobeying a direct order. Now how making me run 5 miles carring a SAW249, with pins in my foot and a profile that was active since 2001. from what i heard i was suppose to get a medical board to be discharged but instead had to extend my ets date.
I just had alot of bad times with the 82nd before and after sept 11 so i know its that unit that is FU :)

1 - 20 of 51 Posts