Survivalist Forum banner

How many folks are living in their BOL

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
1. How many folks are living in their BOL [Bug-Out Location]?

I mean like in it permanently; full-time; stocking-up; setting up defenses; self-sufficient or working toward self-sufficiency. Maybe even off-grid already?

On the other hand:
2. How many have a BOL setup but are not living in it?

3. How many own a BOL, but it is not fully setup yet?

4. How many do not own a BOL, but are looking to purchase a BOL?

5. How many are not ready to find a BOL yet?

6. Other

·
Registered
446 Posts
Had my BOL for a few years. It is currently used as a vacation property. However, most of my preps are at my primary residence so I would have to answer that my BOL is not fully setup yet. I have to say I have very different plans for my BOL home and my bug in home so in that respect it will probably never be fully stocked compared to my bug in home and vice versa. BOL is a rural property setup for long-term while bug in is for more short-term situations. Definitely a compromise but makes management of preps easier until I can retire to the BOL or find a suitable source of income in that location.

·
Registered
115 Posts
I voted: 5. How many are not ready to find a BOL yet?

I need to finish college.. then get a good job.. blah.. :'(

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,941 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Had my BOL for a few years. It is currently used as a vacation property. However, most of my preps are at my primary residence so I would have to answer that my BOL is not fully setup yet. I have to say I have very different plans for my BOL home and my bug in home so in that respect it will probably never be fully stocked compared to my bug in home and vice versa. BOL is a rural property setup for long-term while bug in is for more short-term situations. Definitely a compromise but makes management of preps easier until I can retire to the BOL or find a suitable source of income in that location.
Sounds like a good plan.

Is there any way to retire 'early' and do some farming / herding on the rural property?

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
If people are living in their BOL would it not really be called a BIL?

Just had to say that, sorry. :thumb:

I have possibly told too much about my BOL in 3 different pic threads, since I joined this survivalistboards almost a year ago. Although I was living at my BOL from June to Nov. like I have for the past ten years.

But for the few who have not seen my remote mtn BOL which I call a survival retreat, here is the latest thread with many pics and the must see survival retreat ( BOL ) Checklist in post #5 >
http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

There are also links to the other 2 pic threads at the bottom of the first page. I hope to move up there permanently someday soon but it takes an awful lot of work to get ready, especially doing everything by myself.

·
Registered
1,967 Posts
Do not have but actively looking. Thought we had it a few weeks ago but when we caught up with the listing agent to make an offer we found out that it was under contract.

Hopefully going to checkout 15 acres this weekend or next depending upon the weather.

·
Registered
enough to sleep well at night
4,734 Posts
25 acres, 1 22x40 barn, fenced, cross fenced, surveyed, snow roof over a 12x50 trailer with 2 add ons, 24x24 shop with a 12x24 attached end unit enclosed on 3 sides, 12 x16 cabin 2 story, tractor and implements, truck, 2 quads, 12 ft aluminum boat, 3 snowmobiles, storage for preps... (gas tools welding supplies spare oil), 3 wells, power on grid, several "Keep Out" and "No Trespassing" signs at perimeter fences and entry points, firearms ammo and food on location limited quantities, spare clothes, stock water tanks, garden area with irigation lines, spare PVC pipe and fittings, Small Generator, Just to name a few things ....Have along ways to go though ...
Still need wood stoves, seed supply, off grid power set up either solar or wind would work here, livestock and riding gear, more fence post for future pature areas on neighboring land, etc etc Cost sucks getting to this point, but well worth it, when I turn in at night....IMO...when .. SHTF all my short term supplies will combine to my BOL...

·
ozarks hillbilly
749 Posts
just moved to mine, 125 acre farm in the ozarks, still getting set up out here, prolly get my ol 4x4 going this spring, plans are too extensive to list, but will have cattle on the land in the next couple of weeks

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
but I know someone dumb who has one....

Go Player
WHAT is possibly dumb about having a BOL, homestead or survival retreat??

Were the millions of people in the past such as pioneers, mountain men and homesteaders dumb?

Are a few million today around the world with a BOL which can also be used as vacation spots or those who live off grid etc. dumb??

Is this vacation spot/BOL/survival retreat, shown in the link below, dumb?? I really would like to know and you can even post and criticize in that thread if you wish >

http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

·
Tuefel Hunden
1,572 Posts
BOL

Looking for new bol futher out in the BFE! I'm 2 hours from town now! Stocked and continue to a mass more when I can, seems I need more as more people and family members are waking the "F" up!

Nothing MTM mike!

·
Tested in the Wilderness
6,717 Posts
Looking for new bol futher out in the BFE! I'm 2 hours from town now! Stocked and continue to a mass more when I can, seems I need more as more people and family members are waking the "F" up!

Nothing MTM mike!
I could look it up but for some discussion, what is BFE?

And I guess you are saying that Nothing is dumb about a BOL?

Some have said this is crude and sorta dumb > http://www.survivalistboards.com/showthread.php?t=84562

·
ready for it!
271 Posts
Bum f#@k egypt= BFE

I have a BOL but I dont own it.....it's a national park in a remote canyon. narrow entry with only one road in so it's easily defended. Year round river and great hunting. Cabins, restrooms, and wells in place. All I need to do is move the trailer with supplies to it and good luck digging me out

·
Uber Infidel.
343 Posts
Have my location, its not set up yet but i have at least three months food ready to go with very long (6 - 12 years) shelf life ready for me to secrete at grid references close by.

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
I'm bugging in, unless absolutely necessary.

I have a place I'd like to go, but it isn't mine. It still needs a bit of work.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts