• Just never got into it scouting

Votes: 14 8.4%
  • I dont do organized groups

Votes: 7 4.2%
1 - 20 of 69 Posts

·
Registered
914 Posts
I would have made it to Eagle, but I never got any support in my scouting days from my parents. Plus we moved right after I got all the requirements for Star.

·
Registered
11 Posts
I got within one merit badge and just ranout of steam, but it was the best times I ever had. I kind of wish I had finished and completed it. My problem now is I can't stay out of the woods, Hmm Must be why I live so close to them now.:cool:

·
Registered
368 Posts
never cared one bit for earning a badge, I loved doing the outings and doing the exercises, but when it came down to the tedious work of doing everything that was required to earn a badge, I just did not care if I earned it or not....

·
Registered
89 Posts
Earned Eagle soph. year of HS. Just started this past year serving as my oldest son's Tiger Cub Den leader so it has brought back a lot of memories as well as the responsibility of teaching skills that the next generation are going to need to care for their families and others.

·
Registered
10 Posts
L/d 50

Thanks L/D, for reminding me of the Order of the Arrow. I had completelyl forgotten about it. I didn't get one but you just rerminded me of the scouts. And I wasn't an Eagle Scout.

·
Limpin to safety.
7,639 Posts
Royal Ambassadors at my church. Same thing as boy scouts, only church funded, and Christian Principles.

Does that count?

·
Right Handed
1,371 Posts
Was a boy scout for a while. Cant remember what rank i got to though... If my children are interested, (im sure they will be) I definetly get them into boy/girl scouts and help them out...

**** Selfish reason****

I love to go camping and hope my kids get into it so i can go along, help and camp also...;):thumb:

Plus here they have a cool camp grounds, but scouts and helpers only...:D:

·
Registered
1,049 Posts
Royal Ambassadors at my church. Same thing as boy scouts, only church funded, and Christian Principles.

Does that count?
Me too! My RA leader was heavy into camping and woodcraft, and I had a great experience. Even 30+ years later, I am still friends with my RA leaders and will be seeing them this morning at church.:thumb:

·
Looks like rain to me.
41,428 Posts
Eagle here too.

Two interesting items about the Boy Scouts from a study from a University in Penn, not sure which one.

1. There has never been an Eagle Scout on Death Row in the US.

2. A research project was conducted on the survivors of the Bataan Death March as to common factors related to their survival. Hair color, where they were from, age, education, height, weight, military experience, everything they could think of was compared. 85% were Boy Scouts. No other common factor got as high as 27%

·
Kibitzer
6,631 Posts
The last eagle scout I talked to online, was telling everyone to put 8 teaspoons of clorox in their gallon of drinking water. When a doctor told him it was 8 DROPS, he said he knew someone would correct him IF he was wrong.

On a camp out with fellow scouts, another scout stole my dad's hatchet from me.

·
Registered
5,601 Posts
The church group I was in was the Boy Scouts, never heard of the RA. I made it to Life Scout (and Order of the Arrow) before my family moved. Joined the local Boy Scouts there but it wasn't the same and I soon quit.

One of the best things about the troop I was originally in was that we'd go camping every month. We'd run into all sorts of weather and deal with it.

The weirdest was one weekend it started out nice on Friday when we left. About midnight the wind and rain picked up and some tents went flying (quartermaster seemed to have forgotten some of the tent stakes. My tent mate and I spent a little while making ones from sticks) The little tent I was in ended up with 8-10 kids all huddling together. After a couple of hours of this we broke into one of the nearby cabins, just so we could get some sleep.

By morning it was starting to snow and the scoutmaster and assistant scoutmaster decided to take a hike with some of the kids. Several of us stayed behind and listened to the radio for a weather update while playing poker (naked girls on the cards). Found out there was over a foot of snow coming our way and told the scoutmaster. His station wagon wouldn't move in the snow we had gotten and we called home for a few dads to meet us at the entrance to the campgrounds. (2 mile hike). We packed up the best we could but ended up dragging much of it behind us.

·
Registered
26 Posts
I made it to Life before I got a knee injury and was out of the game for 6 months. I still kick myself for never going back to finish what I started. Scouts was good times though.

·
Like MacGyver, but w/guns
315 Posts
I was in for a while but never got close to eagle. I would have kept it up except that I hated my group's leadership. I was in since I was 6 or 7 and I went camping twice...twice! I don't mean to offend any religious people here but I was mostly annoyed that my leadership forced their Christianity on me pretty hard and then never taught any outdoor or practical skills. I realize I just happened to have a bad time but it made me get out before long. I made up for my thirst for practical knowledge by enlisting. I've got four close friends now that were eagle scouts, one is essentially the camp leader for a camp in Wisconsin.

1 - 20 of 69 Posts