Survivalist Forum banner

161 - 180 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
258 Posts
none. if you own them, you are more inclined to get involved in a conflict where you need them. actually, I'd like to get a couple myself, but still just have old hunting rifles.
Makes me think of the study that shows having any guns in your house makes your house more dangerous LOL. I'm more inclined to think, it's better to have and not need. Sure hate to operate a bolt in an unintentional mixup.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
none. if you own them, you are more inclined to get involved in a conflict where you need them. actually, I'd like to get a couple myself, but still just have old hunting rifles.
After a comment like that I am inclined to suggest you get rid of the one you have, on the off chance it might incite you to become involved in a conflict...

·
Registered
500 Posts
Needed or wanted? I collected this stuff some time ago FN FAL bush rifle, galil arm 308, m1a, bm59 alpina .308( I bought it for 1300 and found out only 100 of this config made to USA. 22,000.00 last time I saw one. Colt hbar, Norinco mak90, Hungarian sa80 and a arsenal SLR 95 Bulgarian

·
reluctant sinner
16,884 Posts
At one time I thought 2 pistols - one for each hand was enough. At some point I was almost 10X that. I wouldn't want to walk far with that load of pistols and a box of ammo for each in a back pack.

Battle rifles - spray and pray type, I have zero. I hated my issue m-16 and bought my own bolt guns. Almost nothing replaces a well aimed shot, close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and atomic bombs. Suppressing fire is used by people that get re-supplied - they aren't packing all that ammo on there back for long.

·
Registered
34,319 Posts
At one time I thought 2 pistols - one for each hand was enough. At some point I was almost 10X that. I wouldn't want to walk far with that load of pistols and a box of ammo for each in a back pack.

Battle rifles - spray and pray type
, I have zero. I hated my issue m-16 and bought my own bolt guns. Almost nothing replaces a well aimed shot, close counts in horseshoes, hand grenades and atomic bombs. Suppressing fire is used by people that get re-supplied - they aren't packing all that ammo on there back for long.
Can you list make and model please?

I am unaware of any such in existence.

·
Banned
11,403 Posts
Can you list make and model please?

I am unaware of any such in existence.
I’d like to see that list too. All my semi auto rifles have these things called sights, and some even have scopes. Crazy, right?

Strangely, the iron sights on my more modern semi autos, being similar to the 1903 Springfield aperture sights, are easier to aim accurately than many of the bolt action “battle rifles” I’ve picked up over the years.

Strap a red dot on the semi auto rifle, and it gets pretty quick in target transition as well. But what do the militaries, police forces, or competitive speed shooting people know about that, right? :rolleyes:

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Spray and pray?...LOL
Been a while since I heard that one...
Sure Charlie, in the hand of the inexperienced and untrained person they might do just that. In the hands of a skilled person...not so much.

·
Premium Member
2,500 Posts
After I turned 50, my shoulders were so bad I could no longer tolerate the recoil from a bolt action. Even in a 12 gauge, I could only shoot a Benelli (shoulders being as good an excuse for a Benelli as any).

Bottom line for me - shoot whatever your body can tolerate. As for toting around 10+ pounds of rifle and ammo, I would need a kid to carry all the stuff for me.

Ya'll shoot straight and stay safe out there.

WW

WE ALL WANT TO BE FREE, BUT VERY FEW OF US WANT TO BE BRAVE. FOR ALL OF US TO BE FREE, A FEW MORE OF US, ESPECIALLY NOW, MUST BE BRAVE, AND THAT'S THE HISTORY OF AMERICA

K. R. Carleson - Navigator B-24J

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,186 Posts
Spray and pray?...LOL
Been a while since I heard that one...
Sure Charlie, in the hand of the inexperienced and untrained person they might do just that. In the hands of a skilled person...not so much.
Self control is personality trait lacking in many.

Side note 1: Aimed, controlled automatic fire can be effective, it is seldom necessary outside of suppressing a human wave attack, but it can be effective.

Side note 2: Spray and pray is none of the above.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
How many AR-15s, AK47s, FALs... are enough?

The title of the thread is battle rifles. Lets skip the semantics and splitting hairs and group all semi-automatic medium and large rifle calibers together. If it was designed for a military role since the 1940s, how many are enough?

The issue is, how many semi-automatic rifles are enough as compared to hunting rifles?

I would like to have another 308 rifle in bolt action. Then again, I would like to have another AR-15. we come to a point when we have to ask how many are enough?

Personally, I am leaning towards at 4 - 5 AR-15s. That is a nice sized number without being overly burdensome. If someone has been prepping for 10, 15, 20+ years, it would not be out of the question to collect several AR-15 rifles.

Maybe I have answered my own question with 4 - 5 AR rifles, then move onto something else?

However, perhaps someone may want to go with the FAL, PTR-91, AK-47, AK-74... or something besides the AR? Rather than an AR and 223 / 5.56mm, maybe go with a FAL or PTR-91 that is well suited for defense and hunting medium sized game.

Enough of the ranting. Someone post their thoughts on the idea?
Just how many rifles do you intend to carry at a time? BTW, the ar platforms in 5.56 aren't battle rifles.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts

Side note 1: Aimed, controlled automatic fire can be effective, it is seldom necessary outside of suppressing a human wave attack, but it can be effective.

Question, how many here in the us facing a shtf are going to have "aimed controlled automatic fire" as an option percentage wise?

·
7,186 Posts
Question, how many here in the us facing a shtf are going to have "aimed controlled automatic fire" as an option percentage wise?
About as many who will have to face a true human wave attack of a hundred thousand screaming Chinese.

Having said that last time I checked there were about 500,000 registered "machineguns" in private hands. Conservative estimates claim another 250,000 spread out among various non-military law enforcement agencies. Take a guess at the number of non-registered/illegally possessed items in the hands of gangs, other assorted criminals, those who are clueless. So without counting military issue and those "parts kits" stashed away waiting to be installed when the balloon goes up somewhere between 2 and 4% assuming a current population or 327000000.

But then again you were being sarcastic when you asked, weren't you?

·
Registered
9,127 Posts

I've always thought FA's best use was suppression. Like...keeping the enemies heads down while advancing on their position. Even those situations would require accurate fire.
I leave spray and pray where it belongs...in the movies.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
About as many who will have to face a true human wave attack of a hundred thousand screaming Chinese.

Having said that last time I checked there were about 500,000 registered "machineguns" in private hands. Conservative estimates claim another 250,000 spread out among various non-military law enforcement agencies. Take a guess at the number of non-registered/illegally possessed items in the hands of gangs, other assorted criminals, those who are clueless. So without counting military issue and those "parts kits" stashed away waiting to be installed when the balloon goes up somewhere between 2 and 4% assuming a current population or 327000000.

But then again you were being sarcastic when you asked, weren't you?
I came up with "much" less than your figure......

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.o...legal-it-takes-lot-get-one-630000-us#stream/0

With the commonly accepted figure of some 300 million firearms in the us I came up with some .0021%. That's roughtly 2 one thousands of one percent. Even if you factor in illegal fully automatic firarms, and I don't know where your figures are from, I'd seriously doubt you'd get anywhere near 1% much less the 4% of all us firearms in private hands.

I said that so I could say this.... in case we actually see widespread civil upheaval/government confiscation of firearms ect.... we're not likely to be able to count on many of us being able to use select fire firearms. The overwhelming majority of us will have to get along with plain ol' fashioned semiautomatic firearms.

I could care less if "aimed fully automatic" rifle fire is effective. I just don't have access to it if faced with kind of civil disturbances I/we are likely to experience in the near future.

.....and no, I'm not trying to be sarcastic here. It's just so many of you guys are trying to fight that "the ar platform is what the us government has chosen to arm the us military with so that's the only choice I/anyone needs".......stuff. I mean, yeah, if that's what you want but "the government has it" so that's a good argument thing" isn't particularly valid if all you realistically can have is a semiautomatic as opposed to fully automatic.

·
7,186 Posts
I came up with "much" less than your figure......

https://www.boisestatepublicradio.o...legal-it-takes-lot-get-one-630000-us#stream/0

With the commonly accepted figure of some 300 million firearms in the us I came up with some .0021%. That's roughtly 2 one thousands of one percent. Even if you factor in illegal fully automatic firarms, and I don't know where your figures are from, I'd seriously doubt you'd get anywhere near 1% much less the 4% of all us firearms in private hands.
Okay let's use the numbers in the linked article. "According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), as of 2017, there were 630,000 machine guns in the U.S. That, however, is a fraction of the roughly 400 million guns in America."

630,000/400,000,000=.001575 X 100 = .1575%
Quite a bit higher than the .0021% you came up with. It appears you forgot a step in your calculations of of percentages of machine guns to total firearms.

BUT, the question you asked was:
My answer was using the number of people in the US about 327,000,000 (which includes all ages)and the number of available machine guns. Let's, again conservatively, 10% of the population is too young to participate in repelling an invasion that leaves 32,700,000 (about half of which are female but that is a debate for another time). Accepting the 630,000 number, which I believe is low, 630,000/32,700,000 = .019266 X100 = 1.9266% of the population potentially capable of responding with a firearm could have a "machine gun". If you want to be sexist and say females would not be there that takes it up to over 3.8%

BTW, Ratio vs percentage:
https://sciencing.com/calculate-ratios-percentages-8098194.html
"Convert the Decimal to a Percentage

Multiply the result from Step 2 by 100 to convert it into a percentage. Continuing the example, you have:

0.7333 × 100 = 73.33 percent"

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Bump stocks?
Meh...to me they are more of a curiosity than anything else. I don't see a need nor a practical use for them. They get a hard pass from me.
My hunch is they'd be a hinderance to accuracy and one more layer added to the things that could go wrong.

Reactions: Optimist
161 - 180 of 220 Posts