Survivalist Forum banner

201 - 220 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Having one for every day of the week is a nice start...from there the obvious is to employ the old adage, one is none two is one. Two for every day of the week...now we're talking. But why stop there...they come in colors, OD, Desert tan, flat earth, camouflage, might want to add a bit of color to break up the monotony of only having blued and stainless.

Reactions: Optimist

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
All rifles are battle rifles if the need arises. Remember the scene in Enemy at the gates? Every other soldier got a rifle the others got ammo and told to pick one up from a fallen comrade? that may have been fiction but it is not a bad philosophy. Use yours to get theirs, all of theirs. The reality is that it is extremely unlikely any of us will get into a combat situation. We may do some foraging and may be called upon to dispatch a sick farm animal. Thieves will come at you from behind and shoot you in the back.

·
Weed 'em and reap
30,367 Posts
Zero combat rifles is technically "enough." That is to say, in the absence of modern firearms technology, we can still persist; it will just be more difficult.

That said, having as many as possible in private hands, in general, is a disincentive to faithless government. But that does not rely on any one personal battery of arms, but rather the total ballast of privately-held arms in general. The more held by the people, the more scorched would-be tyrants can expect the proverbial Earth to be, disincentivizing tyranny by guaranteeing that the prize is damaged.

For personal use, it would be handy to have at least one firm each adult you expect to take in, plus a few extras, plus enough to leverage for the service if those who might fall into your employ or influence in an emergent situation.

That said, I really hope none of us ever see that day come to pass.

·
Registered
80 Posts
This again... As many as you can afford and can afford to lose...

I have too many guns and at one time I joke I could have armed a platoon... sold off a lot of the 3rd and 4th guns in various roles and duplicates etc... I agree w/ the 2 is 1 and 1 is none moniker but it is all situation dependent. Have to move out; then you're only bringing what you can carry. Defending your homestead? Then enough to arm friends/family... not likely you'll be arming strangers etc... zombie apocalypse fantasies as everyone you kill will likely have a weapon on them after the first couple weeks.

Ammo; lots and lots of ammo. Even if you have to abandon it...

·
Registered
561 Posts
A couple of years ago, we had a vehicle driving slowly back and forth down our road with just my wife at home. She got nervous and called me. I told her if she was that nervous to grab an AR and call the neighbor to come over and check things out. Well when she loaded the AR she short stroked the charging handle and ended up double feeding the AR leading to what most would call a catastrophic failure. She said, "Oh crap what do I do." My reply was, "grab the other one and if you mess it up well you still have one more to get it right" So short answer is realistically atleast two, but if you are like me, they are like Lays potato chips, "bet you can't have just one."

·
Registered
16 Posts
For ordinary citizens who are permitted with a gun license, one gun may be enough.
For professional hunters, you may need 2 to 4 shotguns
For people who are keen on guns, such as gun collectors or criminals, more may be needed.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
For ordinary citizens who are permitted with a gun license, one gun may be enough.
For people who are keen on guns, such as gun collectors or criminals, more may be needed.
Strange juxtaposition....
Then again...Australia gun collectors might be considered criminals...just sayin...

·
Registered
34,319 Posts
Actually criminals aren't "gun people"

They just need a gun to have when they want to run or ambush someone, or pose for a rap video.

·
Registered
2,750 Posts
There is no such thing as "enough guns".

The answer to the question: "How many guns do you need?" My answer is always: "Just one more."

·
NRA Life 1971
8,290 Posts
I tell the naysayers that need has nothing to do with it.
Ask them, 'How many shoes do you need. How many T shirts'.

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
All rifles are battle rifles if the need arises. Remember the scene in Enemy at the gates? Every other soldier got a rifle the others got ammo and told to pick one up from a fallen comrade? that may have been fiction but it is not a bad philosophy. Use yours to get theirs, all of theirs. The reality is that it is extremely unlikely any of us will get into a combat situation. We may do some foraging and may be called upon to dispatch a sick farm animal. Thieves will come at you from behind and shoot you in the back.
That wasn't fiction. It was what the russians did during ww1. It was also what the chinese did during the korean war.

·
Registered
4,621 Posts
Now for practicality. whoa that is something we don't do! We all know what we like and have it. What have we done or our children and our future? I gave my son a remington 66 after he outgrew his 177 pellet rifle. then a springfield which had been sporterized and rebarelled to 270. Later I rebuilt a Remington auto 12 ga. a pocket 22 lr. Then a 303, 6.5 arisaka, 7.62X54R and an 45 ca. black powder rifle. All things that I like. I forgot to ask him what he liked. also a lee reloading kit and dies. I gave my daughter a 7.62 X 54 and remington 22LR. she brought them home as the laws in San Francisco are restrictive. Bottom line, is that anything can be pressed into service. but is it the correct item for the person using it?

201 - 220 of 220 Posts