Survivalist Forum banner

181 - 200 of 220 Posts

·
Registered
2,236 Posts
Bump stocks?
Meh...to me they are more of a curiosity than anything else. I don't see a need nor a practical use for them. They get a hard pass from me.
My hunch is they'd be a hinderance to accuracy and one more layer added to the things that could go wrong.
If they “go wrong” aren’t they just a stock? It’s pretty hard to screw that up. I’m not saying it can’t be done but I believe if I want one I should have one.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Bump stocks?
Meh...to me they are more of a curiosity than anything else. I don't see a need nor a practical use for them. They get a hard pass from me.
My hunch is they'd be a hinderance to accuracy and one more layer added to the things that could go wrong.
I basically agree however I feel that if someone wants one they should be allowed to own one.

·
Retired Army
5,992 Posts
One, provided you know how to use the damn thing.

That said, a few different variants come in handy.

1. A short one like an AR pistol, or SBR for home defense, or vehicle use.
2. A standard size AR for average combat.
3. A .308 or similar caliber weapon for when you need to turn cover into concealment.

·
Destroyer of Karen
11,279 Posts
Well we think 4 fully setup rifles per person is enough

We also think having the ability to build rifles is important

We also think 80% lowers are important

·
Registered
2,238 Posts
Okay let's use the numbers in the linked article. "According to the Bureau of Alcohol, Tobacco, Firearms and Explosives (ATF), as of 2017, there were 630,000 machine guns in the U.S. That, however, is a fraction of the roughly 400 million guns in America."

630,000/400,000,000=.001575 X 100 = .1575%
Quite a bit higher than the .0021% you came up with. It appears you forgot a step in your calculations of of percentages of machine guns to total firearms.
Meh, I just didn't finish it. If I did I'd come up with a figure of .210% of all firearms in the us are full auto capable. Not that far from yours and still not too many fully automatic firearms to field in times of civil disturbance and still priced outta' reach of your average working class man.

BUT, the question you asked was:

My answer was using the number of people in the US about 327,000,000 (which includes all ages)and the number of available machine guns. Let's, again conservatively, 10% of the population is too young to participate in repelling an invasion that leaves 32,700,000 (about half of which are female but that is a debate for another time). Accepting the 630,000 number, which I believe is low, 630,000/32,700,000 = .019266 X100 = 1.9266% of the population potentially capable of responding with a firearm could have a "machine gun". If you want to be sexist and say females would not be there that takes it up to over 3.8%

BTW, Ratio vs percentage:
https://sciencing.com/calculate-ratios-percentages-8098194.html
"Convert the Decimal to a Percentage

Multiply the result from Step 2 by 100 to convert it into a percentage. Continuing the example, you have:

0.7333 × 100 = 73.33 percent"
So who says those 630,000 full auto firearms are evenly distributed among the population? Just how many people own several full auto capable firearms? Just how many of these guys are going to join an organized resistance to assaults against organized blm or antifa types. Just how many of these guys are just planning on hunkering down in their bunkers? Just how many of these guys are going to be able and willing to oppose beto o'rouke's army of federal agents when sent out to confiscate them?

How many of these firearms are going to be available to the working class that's actually willing to sacrifice something to oppose these people? I don't see too many of them being used and the point being They're too damned expensive anyway. I just see them as rich men's toys.

Worse, I also don't see 32 million americans bearing "any" arms against washington anyway. I wish I could.

Joe Biden promises to put Beto O’Rourke in charge of gun control

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I basically agree however I feel that if someone wants one they should be allowed to own one.
Sure, if they want one they should be allowed to own one...Allowed being the operative word. More to the point how did the word allowed become a caveat to god given rights...

It's relative, I may not see a use for a bump stock while someone else might.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Well that is enough about stocks...
Since the latest gun buying (panic) crunch, I doubt anyone is getting a good deal on a rifle...
Add in the current ammo shortage and it's a double whammy of high prices and scarcity.
The thing about rifles is the expense of getting one is up front after that it's all down hill, while ammo on the other hand is an ongoing expense and can, will, should exceed the cost of the rifle many many times over...
It's does not appear to be the best time to buy...I could be wrong...LOL

Reactions: Optimist

·
Registered
813 Posts
Well that is enough about stocks...
Since the latest gun buying (panic) crunch, I doubt anyone is getting a good deal on a rifle...
Add in the current ammo shortage and it's a double whammy of high prices and scarcity.
The thing about rifles is the expense of getting one is up front after that it's all down hill, while ammo on the other hand is an ongoing expense and can, will, should exceed the cost of the rifle many many times over...
It's does not appear to be the best time to buy...I could be wrong...LOL
Local secondary market (luck) is where it is at and cash is king.

I'm scoring pre panic deals on pistols of all kinds and rifles.

Some people need quick money for bills, moves or even new toys they want before the election and are fire selling some stuff.

I'm here to pick it up. You just have to keep watching constantly. I do like every 20mins or so since I work at the PC and I still miss some of the deals.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
Local secondary market (luck) is where it is at and cash is king.

I'm scoring pre panic deals on pistols of all kinds and rifles.

Some people need quick money for bills, moves or even new toys they want before the election and are fire selling some stuff.

I'm here to pick it up. You just have to keep watching constantly. I do like every 20mins or so since I work at the PC and I still miss some of the deals.
So, you sit a round checking the computer ever 20 minutes or so waiting for some cash strapped person to post a gun for sale and then you hustle in and snap it up, but only if you get there first with the cash?
Wow...and to think before this latest panic kicked off you could usually find exactly what you wanted at the LGS or on line.

Reactions: Optimist

·
Registered
813 Posts
So, you sit a round checking the computer ever 20 minutes or so waiting for some cash strapped person to post a gun for sale and then you hustle in and snap it up, but only if you get there first with the cash?
Wow...and to think before this latest panic kicked off you could usually find exactly what you wanted at the LGS or on line.
I've always tried to save money with every purchase no matter the times or circumstances.

As for the reasons. Some of us don't have to buy from the store and can buy face to face and prefer to do so. I also prefer to save money as most people don't even shoot their guns and are brand new 95% of the time.

So you know, you do what you do and I'll do what I do as free men in a free country.

·
Semper Fi
8,654 Posts
Sure, if they want one they should be allowed to own one...Allowed being the operative word. More to the point how did the word allowed become a caveat to god given rights...

It's relative, I may not see a use for a bump stock while someone else might.
It's a right, not a privilege. Allow has nothing to do with the matter.
Poor choice of words on my part. I used "allowed" as in there should be no infringement on the right to own anything they want.

·
Registered
9,127 Posts
I've always tried to save money with every purchase no matter the times or circumstances.

As for the reasons. Some of us don't have to buy from the store and can buy face to face and prefer to do so. I also prefer to save money as most people don't even shoot their guns and are brand new 95% of the time.

So you know, you do what you do and I'll do what I do as free men in a free country.
LOL...fair enough

·
Registered
17 Posts
Depends on your situation. If you only have one, I think it’s a good idea to have spare parts, and may be a stripped lower or 2. The other big thing is the proper tools and knowing ur system in and out.

·
Truth Seeker
239 Posts
I used to only have a GP100 which lived in the sock drawer. Which I felt was plenty before the CCP virus.

When the virus hit I quickly sold it and bought an AR pistol for the house and a 9mm to carry.

So 2 guns is enough for me at this point. If one fails, I still have a back up.

I do miss my wheelgun tho...so maybe one more for the sock draw. And Id like to have a fancy one for the range. And maybe a sniper rifle...and a shotty. But that would be it. Well I should have one for the car too and maybe one for backpacking and maybe a couple for friends and family to use when they come over :)

181 - 200 of 220 Posts