Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 90 Posts

·
Registered
214 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
New to the world of ARs, how many magazines do you keep fully loaded in a bug out or rifle bag at a time incase SHTF and you need them right away?
Also where is the cheapest place online to buy reliable magazines shipped? thanks.

·
Registered
2,016 Posts
I won't comment on how many mags to have ready, I think some of guys are really over doing it with having 10 mags ready to go. But it really doesn't hurt or cost more money to have them loaded.

Cheapest, Palmetto State Armory. Get PMAGs or the metal mags. Both reliable and fit all ARs. Can be had for less than $10/each shipped without a sale. I always wait for mag sales, they do go on frequently. Specialty mags are cool and all, but honestly PMAGs and the standard metal mags are the best.

·
accipere rubrum pilula
1,680 Posts
Amend2 mags are the new kids on the block and they're pretty good mags.

Try Brownells website, you can pick up a lot of 10 mags (30 rounders) for $79.99.

As far as keeping mags ready to go, I only keep 4 mags ready. I like to rotate my mags, I rotate full/empty mags. Some folks don't rotate and some do, don't want to get into that discussion, it works for me, so I'm doing it.

·
Registered
1,418 Posts
All of them
Keep all mags loaded, unloaded mag is useless, not even a good throwing or blunt force weapon
If you have no mags, sometimes palmetto runs a sale for I think 10 mags free when you buy 1000 rounds or something like that.
I do 10 mags minimum for any gun I have, and I don't count that ammo as part of my stash/stock

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
What hell, pay attention
8,150 Posts
For a couple of guns I have around and ready, I keep a chest bag loaded (6 mags) with one loaded mag on each gun.

As far as what mags to get, I would suggest buying one or two of each that interest you, and see how they work first. I have a bunch of PMags, and USGI, and Colt mags, and while the GI and Colt mags do work in all my AR's, the PMags do not (fit and function are the issues).

The Pmags also wont work with the mag carriers I use to keep a loaded mag on the gun.

Better to find out before you dump a lot of money into them.

·
Crusty Old B*stard
1,007 Posts
For a couple of guns I have around and ready, I keep a chest bag loaded (6 mags) with one loaded mag on each gun.
[snip]
I do the same thing. If I'm ever in a situation where I run through seven mags and still need more I'm probably in bigger trouble than I can shoot my way out of anyway. I've picked up a crap-ton of good used Okay mags at various gun shows, and those fit the chest bag just fine. I've never had a problem with any of them, but I look 'em over pretty well before I buy 'em. At one gun show I walked out with a grocery bag full for 20 bucks.

·
Comic, not your lawyer!
14,724 Posts
Most of my mags are stored loaded. There's many good reasons. And I see no downside really, especially if you keep them downloaded by 1-2. No long term harm will come to them.

1. Unloaded mags are useless. I do down load them by 1-2 rounds to release some spring compression (a hotly debated topic on whether it matters)
2. Loading a mag at home whilst watching TV is more time-efficient than loading them at the range.
3. Space saving - with any quantity of mags, keeping the ammo and mags separate effectively doubles the storage space. Load them up to cut storage space. If you only have a few mags it won't make much of a difference, but if you have been collecting many mags and platforms and ammo for decades, it starts to take up noteworthy space.

·
Registered
598 Posts
People usually give figures between 4 and 8.

I have 5 loaded mags right now but these are 10 rounders because I live in a leftist state. If I could, these would be 5 loaded, 30 round mags with a 1000 round cash in reserve.

·
MAGA
5,951 Posts
PSA will occasionally have a deal where you get 10 mags and a complete bolt carrier group for about $120.

What you keep ready is personal preference but 7-10 with one of those in the AR is a good start.

I like to keep 20 mags per firearm but don't load them all.

·
Registered
6,427 Posts
C Products magazines are pretty good and you can find them below $10.

As for number ... probably three or four would be enough for most scenarios, but it's cheap to have about eight or ten loaded, so why not?

A loaded magazine spring will last just as long as an unloaded magazine spring so there's really no drawback to keeping them loaded other than the initial cost to buy the magazines and ammunition.

·
Viva la revolution!
2,140 Posts
what do you do with an unloaded magazine?!?!

Only thing I can think of is LOAD IT............

All mine are loaded. I try and rotate which ones I shoot but the three I have on my belt and the ones in the vest don't get rotated out much.....

1 - 20 of 90 Posts