Survivalist Forum banner

How loud are silenced rifles

1K views 9 replies 8 participants last post by  TB-AV 
#1 ·
I just wondering how loud are rifles with suppressors. I know they aren't "I didn't even knew it fired a shot" silent, but are they lawn mower loud, chain saw loud, Harley bike loud or what?

#2 ·
I have an AAC M4-2000 suppressor for my .223 rifles, and use it on both my Mossberg MVP Patrol, as well as a couple of my AR's. AAC claims a 95-97% reduction in muzzle blast, and I would say they are pretty close. I shoot it from within my carport, and without ear plugs, something I cant do with a .22LR. A .22 leaves me pretty much deaf for a couple of days after, I dont even get a ringing from a .223, or any more than what already exists on a constant basis in my head.

Now, since the .223's are super sonic, you do get a crack as the bullet goes down range, and that sound seems to vary with distance. To me, its louder/more noticeable, as the distance opens up. I would say somewhere in the range of a .22LR going down range.

#9 ·
Too Many Variables To Answer ...

Depends. Our night vision 8" short barrel tight twisted suppressed folding stock double NFA tax stamped mundane Ruger 10-22 skunk buster sounds subjectly very close to that of an average firm closed palm hand clap by the clapper. Clap clap clap. Or more closely sounding like a pop pop pop.

One can distinctly hear the hammer hitting the firing pin ... snap. Then the "pop". Then the bolt cycling with the usual Ruger 10-22 bolt cycling sounds. Then the later distinct "thud" of the Aquila 60 grain sub sonic bullet hitting a tree or such other. Hitting a skunk results in a softer "thunk" sound.

If nicked, the skunk then squeals. If hit right, they just drop in place quietly and thrash a bit. They always let go. A great stink. No real way around that. Yuck. The Aquila sub sonic ammo sounds slightly more quiet than regular high velocity .22rf ammo. This is subjective. A very quiet .22rf rifle.

Elite Iron Echo 6" can. Green Mountain 8" SS 1x9 twist barrel. Bentz chamber. The usual Vorquartson inside stuff. Cut back Butler Creek folding stock. Butler Creek standard 25 round mags or available flush mounting Ruger factory 10 rd mags. Russian Yukon NVMT 3X night vision.

All US Code Laws And NFA Rules Apply. This means this rifle is legal to own and bear up here in SW OR USA. Your local and state firearm laws may differ. Hope this helps. Very fun and safe to shoot. Easy on the ears. We are getting low on ammo. The Butler Creek mag loaders are also very fun.

#10 ·
@Luke it depends on a lot of factors with the type of suppressor being one. Subsonic never breaks the sound barrier so never hear that 'crack' and finally if the bolt stays closed on the rifle it's quieter as you won;t have any noise coming out the side ( like an AR )

Finally the frequency in Hz can make one sound more or less loud. You might have a 5 or 6 dB difference within a rather small frequency range. It's still loud but we don't hear that way. For instance if the sound was say in the 3-4Khz range it would sound the most loud because that's where our hearing is most sensitive.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.