Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
18 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Exactly how long would everyone stay put in their homes if Martial Law was declared? Suppose for a moment that there is an instant catastrophe and everyone is immediately in panic mode ... would you run to the hills immediately, or stick around until the dust settles around you? This could perhaps be a good key to long term survival since it could give you a bit more time to prepare when everyone else is running around like chickens with their heads cut off. How long would you enjoy your last minutes of comfort?

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
im to old to start liveing a backpack life i still like to camp but its not for months on end that is a whole other ball game that most everyone has no idea what its like . ill stay where i am until the food runs out or all i got is enough to put in a backpack/truck then move out.but really it depends on SHTF weather i move or stay. if goblins invade our country id be on the front lines doing what i can.

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
My home is 700 feet off the main road. Easily defended, it would take a major assault to rout me. I won't budge until I see major forces staging, I have a bol that can be reached by boat. If it came to a bug out situation Id probably be dead by then

·
Watchin tha world go by
8,151 Posts
grab and go ---- figger im on in tha computer, cross referenced, highlighted, and flagged -lol

seriously -- am fairly remote, so chances are they will be out my way last. in event of marshal law they are gonna have more problems to worry about than rural areas.
we will be far down on the priority list.

·
Registered
45 Posts
My wife and I talk about this all the time. I know its gonna sound stupid but if its a situation where we cant drive OR we couldnt take our dogs with us, we would stay home and do whatever was necessary.

·
V
21,713 Posts
Personally it depends on the EVENT that occurs to whether I bug or not, I've said before I'm preparing to BUG IN pretty much no matter what, I do have a couple of BOL's scouted out should the need ever arise. Never say Never :thumb:

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
It depends a great deal on what has caused the crisis. If you have had a nuclear attack or a biological attack you may want to hunker down for a few days. Being in a nuclear fall out zone does not appeal to me a whole lot. The reason people come to sites like this one is to be prepared. I see the words Survival and Preparedness together a lot for a reason. Our instinct is to run when confronted with danger. That is most of us.

Planning is so important. You need your kits uptodate all the time. Your vehicles ready to go and your family to understand the plan. You have to have more than one place set up to retreat to if you plan to leave. YOu need maps with multiple escape routes. the main highways will be impassable in a real emergency. Look at what happens when you try to evacuate a major metro area in a storm that is days away. You need contact information for your family to have. If you get seperated how to you get back together?

Be sure if you leave you have a plan other than just to run.

·
Registered
62 Posts
If the place in which you live, is the place you would choose not to be during crisis,you live in the wrong place.
I agree but, thats just not possible for some people. i hear that alot from people to just get the hell out while you can but i don't have 40 or 50 grand to go buy a new place in the sticks. my scenario,23 bought a trailer in the sticks, loved it but trailer fell apart roof leaked, floors rotted out, skirting blew away etc. 24 bought a house cash in the ghetto. small house easy to heat, empty lots on both sides, close to the major scrap yards( i haul scrap metal). now i'm 28. house is paid for. can save more money for supplies since i don't pay rent. the problem, i live in a tinderbox. racial, economic,drugs,gangs, shootings, drivebys,and every other type of crime you could think of. i hate it and want to leave but i'm not going to pay rent someplace when i have a house i could live in for free. so i'll stay build up and when riots and looting start i head to my moms in the sticks. the only problem i can see with this plan is actually getting out of the city when shtf. i'm hoping by being prepared and paying attention to what is going on at all times i 'll be able to make it.

·
Registered
215 Posts
I agree with mongoose and FredLee. . . .we are in out bugout location. Oh sure, if we happen to fall into some money before TSHTF then we'll buy an even more remote BOL, but for now we are rural enough to ride it out.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
I agree but, thats just not possible for some people. i hear that alot from people to just get the hell out while you can but i don't have 40 or 50 grand to go buy a new place in the sticks. my scenario,23 bought a trailer in the sticks, loved it but trailer fell apart roof leaked, floors rotted out, skirting blew away etc. 24 bought a house cash in the ghetto. small house easy to heat, empty lots on both sides, close to the major scrap yards( i haul scrap metal). now i'm 28. house is paid for. can save more money for supplies since i don't pay rent. the problem, i live in a tinderbox. racial, economic,drugs,gangs, shootings, drivebys,and every other type of crime you could think of. i hate it and want to leave but i'm not going to pay rent someplace when i have a house i could live in for free. so i'll stay build up and when riots and looting start i head to my moms in the sticks. the only problem i can see with this plan is actually getting out of the city when shtf. i'm hoping by being prepared and paying attention to what is going on at all times i 'll be able to make it.

That thinking will always keep guessing. Guessing who will riot,how far is the fires from your house,when is a next missile inbound.Everything you desire can be had,affordably,out of the city.The only thing standing in the way of your goal is you.
Ever see the movie "the Edge"...
What one man can do,another can do. Keep that playing over and over in your head.Pretty soon,nothing stops you.

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
Well my situation is this. My girlfriend and I live in St Louis in the Central West End. It's a some affluent neighborhood effectively surrounded by a "ghettos" to the north and south. The downtown, then river and then the actual Ghetto, East St Louis to the east and then to the west, Forest Park (major city park, really nice) and miles upon miles of urban sprawl and suburbs. We live in a 13 floor apartment building on the 4th floor. The building has been described by my girlfriend's father, who's a fire safety inspector, as one of the safest buildings he's ever seen at least in terms of fire safety.

So that's part of our situation. The other is that for us home, family, etc is a 14 hour drive from here to Northeastern PA. We certainly can't afford to buy a BOL and don't have any friends that don't live outside the city. So basically we don't have anywhere to bug out to that's convenient.

So I've decided we'll hunker down. I've begun the prep, food, water, etc. My hope is, if we stay quiet we should be able to avoid any nastiness and hopefully ride out the storm. If supplies start getting low, then I guess we'll have no choice but to haul $%# for PA. I'm starting to plot alternate routes home than what we normally take since I'm sure interstates will be blocked. My only concern is look law enforcement in towns we might go through and of course getting out of the darn city in the first place.

My big concern with trying to bug out for home is that Local law enforcement in the small towns might get a little over zealous, especially in a Martial law type situation. There's no real good answers to my worries as far as our situation goes I'm afraid. I'll just prep, try to keep a cool head and pray for the best.

·
Registered
498 Posts
You live in an apartment in St. Louis? And you're considering hunkering
down and waiting it out until it's at its worst...no gas, roving bands of
refugees, what have you.

Don't mean to be a smart pants but, you're kidding right?

My advice, at the first sign of trouble, get in your car and leave. An apartment building
which most likely will loose power will turn into a cesspool within days. No matter how
safe you are, the suburbs of the bigger cities will be the first hit by the inner city people...the
gangs and the rabble.

Don't risk your life on thinking it'll blow over and you'll be ok.

·
Angry Libertarian
168 Posts
Well for starters, I have no where to go that's safe that's within almost 900 miles. And I'm certainly not going to stay if it's looking that bad. And this apartment building is full of med students, so I'm thinking the cesspool won't happen, at least not as quickly as other places.

And my staying also depends on the type of SHTF situation it is. If it's something we can weather, we're going to do it instead of risking a 900 mile journey back home. A journey which would actually probably be longer in any really bad situation since we'll have to avoid the highways.

I've thought this out and with the right prep and knowing when to stay and when to go I think we'll be alright.

1 - 20 of 56 Posts