Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I was told by a friend that gas deteriorates quickly if not used. I also know that for the long term you have to use a fuel stabilizer but heres my results.

I have recently taken my old Z28 out of mothballs. The gas in the tank is over two years old with no additives, just the same crap you get from the pump. I charged the battery and gave the carb a few shots of starting fluid and it roared back to life. Well not without some smoke. I blew it out on the road and did some further maintenance and its running like a champ.

Maybe a fuel injected car would have more trouble with stale gas but for what its worth the stuff still cranked over the carbureted 350 in my Camaro.

So there, two years at least in the gas tank and the fuel still works :thumb:

Just as a side question for any mechanics on the board, what are the best ways to get a carbureted car to pass emissions inspection?
I have changed the oil
Retarded the timing to the 12 notch
Leaned out the carb
Decided to take out the old gas and fill with fresh gas
Sprayed Sea Foam into the carburetor while running to help clean out the gunk.

Have I missed anything? Know any black magic tricks?
Thanks
Crypto

·
Registered
31 Posts
I have been wondering the same thing myself. I was told that gas left untreated looses its quality after 3 months. However, year after year the lawnmowers still work after the gas in them sits for several months.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
It depends on lots of variables.
I have an old VW that just sits. I fire it up now and then the gas is 5 years old and it still starts and runs.

·
Pastor
1,965 Posts
if not in califonia, pull the pvc valve out too create a vacume leak.
That leans down the fuel mixture.
or
You can also run a 10% ethenol mixture.
ie
1 gallon denatured alcohol, 10 gallons gasoline.
That will help your fuel burn cleaner, and reduce emmisions too lower then a cigarette.
However, if they use a 5 gas analizer, you are busted.
For the 3 gas the CO2 level is unimportant, they are looking for under 220 ppm HC
and 1.20% CO.

Reactions: Cryptophylaxis

·
Registered
78 Posts
Same thing with my roomate, 2 yr old gas and its now in a high compression motor and nothing happened. As long as your not crazy high compression or you have a knock sensor your fine. The gas in N.A is pretty good quality. If it might sit for a while buy premium.

·
tinfoil bandana
1,164 Posts
Keep in mind it's only going to have to pass emission reg's for the year of manufacture. If all the emission equipment is intact and the car is in good tune, and not burning oil, it should pass.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
The car runs well but I have taken off the original intake manifold and the rodchester quadrajet carb and replaced them with a edelbrock RPM manifold and a holley 670 street avenger. The exhaust has been opened up a bit with headman headers dual ehaust with flowmasters. So the emissions are going to be tricky even for the 81 year its pegged for. Otherwise the car runs great.

I'm going to check the ignition system and make sure that my plugs and wires are top notch. If I'm not getting a full combustion then that unburnt gas will equal more hydrocarbons. Then I'll check for vaccum leaks. Inspection is a real PITA!

·
Registered
645 Posts
I've been wondering about this subject my self. I would say from the coments here you should have no problem if you rotate out your storage fuel like you do your food. Adding a stablizer is probably akind to bying mountain house (but less expensive).

I was thinking about adding a fuel additive like Lucas. I don't know if this will help it last but the quality increase is a plus. Actually there is that posibility that it could give you a small helping hand with that inspection. I agree they are a PITA, clean her up and make shure things are as they should be and you shouldn't have much trouble though.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
The car runs well but I have taken off the original intake manifold and the rodchester quadrajet carb and replaced them with a edelbrock RPM manifold and a holley 670 street avenger. The exhaust has been opened up a bit with headman headers dual ehaust with flowmasters. So the emissions are going to be tricky even for the 81 year its pegged for. Otherwise the car runs great.

I'm going to check the ignition system and make sure that my plugs and wires are top notch. If I'm not getting a full combustion then that unburnt gas will equal more hydrocarbons. Then I'll check for vaccum leaks. Inspection is a real PITA!
What are you running for cats? that will make a MAJOR difference,,, I've seen people run dual performance monolitic converters inline to get their street rod to pass, since you are running a dual exhaust off headers it shouldnt be too hard to do this, not to mention it would allow you to change your mufflers for something much more open without getting too loud.

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
if not in califonia, pull the pvc valve out too create a vacume leak.
That leans down the fuel mixture.
or
You can also run a 10% ethenol mixture.
ie
1 gallon denatured alcohol, 10 gallons gasoline.
That will help your fuel burn cleaner, and reduce emmisions too lower then a cigarette.
However, if they use a 5 gas analizer, you are busted.
For the 3 gas the CO2 level is unimportant, they are looking for under 220 ppm HC
and 1.20% CO.
Ethanol shouldnt be a problem. The emissions are based on vehicle engine and year not fuel, and alternative fuels such as e85 are 50 state legal so adding ethanol is legal as well, in fact many states require 10 ethanol in gasoline to lower emissions in metropolitan areas. As of yet Co2 emissions arent banned but they are working on it thanks to the lies of AlGore.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I tried a trick I read about involving running alcohol in the gas tank. I used a product called iso-heet which is primarily alcohol. I put one full bottle into a quarter tank of gas and tried to run it through. It increased the hydrocarbon levels X3. Two tanks of regular gas later I tried another product called guaranteed to pass.

I wish I could say if it worked but since I took the car to a local mechanic with a gas analyzer to calibrate for the state inspection I don't know. The car passed though and I went with the antique tags this time so I'll never have to go through inspection again.

·
bad grammar deal with it
452 Posts
id say if you dont drive it much then honestly dont worry about it. i know this is a moot point since its already passed.

·
Looking ahead
2,178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
id say if you dont drive it much then honestly dont worry about it. i know this is a moot point since its already passed.
That would have been fine with me if not for civic associations. I had a tag or tow warning placed on the car so it had to be done.
No tags = car towed :(

·
Aquaholic
4,905 Posts
if you've used sea foam you're on the right track. Pour another can in the gas take with some 93 octane. also pour a 1/4 can in your crankcase with the new oil you just changed to free any frozen lifters etc.

I swear by that stuff, it's worth it;'s weight in gold, and at $6.00 a can at most Wal-Marts, it's hard to go wrong.

You might consider changing the rocker cover gaskets, and replace the hydrolic brake parts on the rear drums, drain/flush/refil the radiator, and check all lights.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts