Votes: 13 5.6%
  • 3 years +

Votes: 14 6.0%
1 - 20 of 60 Posts

·
Libertarian
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
O.K., so FEMA suggests that folks have food set aside to last them for 3 days in an emergency situation. (LOL!) As best I understand it the Mormons want their members to have food set aside for each family member for one year.
Question: How long will your food stockpile last for you and yours in an emergency situation?:confused:

·
reluctant sinner
17,914 Posts
Sort of depends on the season. Not a lot of foraging to be had under the snow. Except for about 10 bags of salad, a 10 pound sack of sugar, a 5 pound bag of onions and a 1/4 pound of cinnamon, I haven't really bought any food since November. Did run out of multigrain noodles.

I'm thinking in April I could drop about $350 to get threw to next April.

·
".....ya think?"
862 Posts
I'm going to leave for LDS cannery in about 15 minutes and plan to purchase 120 -#10 cans of wheat berries 36 - #10 cans of various dried beans and a few other things. Probably will spend about $675.

I plan on prepping for wife and I and two adult children and spouses for 2 years. When I get there, I will work on 3 years worth.

·
Be Prepared
1,087 Posts
Perhaps we could go a month with what we have in the house. We have a years supply of meat in the barn and a have a market garden full of vegetables in the summer to live on depending on the time of year this emergency starts.

My biggest worry is about friends and family coming to get food they know we have.

·
Registered
2,201 Posts
Hopefully long enough.

As a prepper, we need to have a plan once the stockpile is gone.
A fire, storm, thief can cause us to lose our stockpile instantly.
Ideally, we need to have things in place for an ongoing production of food.
Also, the knowledge to fish, hunt, trap, knowing what wild plants to eat, etc.

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,847 Posts
Prankster, I don't know if you can do this retroactively, but why not attach a poll to this that people can do anonymously? I suspect there are many here that would be reticent to respond otherwise.

Here are categories you might use:

Less than 1 week
1 week plus
2 weeks plus
1 month plus
3 months plus
6 months plus
1 year plus

While the categories aren't perfect, people would pick the lower of the two if they are between them. Someone with 9 months of food would pick "6 months plus."

·
Registered
1,839 Posts

Less than 1 week
1 week plus
2 weeks plus
1 month plus
3 months plus
6 months plus
1 year plus

While the categories aren't perfect, people would pick the lower of the two if they are between them. Someone with 9 months of food would pick "6 months plus."
I'm at "Three months plus".
(two adults, two small children, budgeting 2K daily calories per adult and 1K per child)
About four months worth of food, assuming that I'm unable to supplement by gardening or capturing small game. (I intend to do so, but I only count on the bird in the hand, not the two in the bush.)

·
I have issues
2,507 Posts
At the house, about two months supply.
At the BOL about two years. But those stocks we are planning for emergency use only, so the two year supply along with garden, canning and livestock supplimenting, unknown.

·
Libertarian
2,760 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Prankster, I don't know if you can do this retroactively, but why not attach a poll to this that people can do anonymously? I suspect there are many here that would be reticent to respond otherwise.

Less than 1 week
1 week plus
2 weeks plus
1 month plus
3 months plus
6 months plus
1 year plus

goose3-
That's a good idea-but I don't know how to attach. LOL!:xeye:

·
Capability, not scenarios
11,847 Posts
goose3-
That's a good idea-but I don't know how to attach. LOL!:xeye:
How about starting a new one w/ a poll and then asking the mods to combine with this thread?

·
patriarch
4,809 Posts
What, another survey/poll? Sounds like MSM. Get your stuff together while your able. I agree with "meat guy". From one harvest season to the next should get you bye, unless you plan on living on MRE's, dehydrated , or freeze dried stuff. And, then what? Most people that get food from the LDS store has no idea what to do with it after they got it. Unless your taught by them the uses and eat their menus. I suggest once you have a reasonable supply, learn to raise or resupply your inventory the ole fashion way, unless you plan on bartering your skills for food, which I believe is acceptable , since everybody can't be farmers and the such. I would gladly barter garden produce or fresh meat.

·
Outlander Territory
3,710 Posts
I went with 3 months + as this is what I THINK I have stockpiled (probably, honestly, more than that). It's hard to figure out exactly how long it will last. I am still working on it and am gradually building on it to achieve my goal of a year's worth of food just stockpiled.
However, the above stockpiles don't take into consideration the cattle we raise, the chickens we will be getting this summer, (maybe a pig too) and the garden that is going in this year (heirloom seeds already in the fridge) that will be eaten, canned and more seeds saved.
I am very thankful to be living in the country where this is possible. Not much would change for us if SHTF long-term except I would be switching out my propane heating stove for a wood stove once the propane runs out.

·
Peas and Carrots!
36,851 Posts
What, another survey/poll? Sounds like MSM. Get your stuff together while your able. I agree with "meat guy". From one harvest season to the next should get you bye, unless you plan on living on MRE's, dehydrated , or freeze dried stuff. And, then what? Most people that get food from the LDS store has no idea what to do with it after they got it. Unless your taught by them the uses and eat their menus. I suggest once you have a reasonable supply, learn to raise or resupply your inventory the ole fashion way, unless you plan on bartering your skills for food, which I believe is acceptable , since everybody can't be farmers and the such. I would gladly barter garden produce or fresh meat.
I have to ask the question: Why on earth would you have to be taught BY THEM the uses of the food and why would you need to "eat their menus?" I've looked and the food they sell is food - plain, old basic food. You do not have to be trained by any one group on how to cook beans, make bread, etc. You MAY have to learn how to cook from scratch but that is certainly not LDS specific. Frankly, if you can't cook from scratch then all the farms, gardens, or bartering with such won't do you a bit of good in the world. Not a one of those places deals in convenience food.

Just something to think about.

·
Registered
3,079 Posts
Sort of depends on the season. Not a lot of foraging to be had under the snow. Except for about 10 bags of salad, a 10 pound sack of sugar, a 5 pound bag of onions and a 1/4 pound of cinnamon, I haven't really bought any food since November. Did run out of multigrain noodles.

I'm thinking in April I could drop about $350 to get threw to next April.
Not sure where you live but I typically have to drop roughly $100 per week to keep fresh vegetables and fresh meat in the house if not dipping into the stocks -- would love to know how you can go a year on $350

1 - 20 of 60 Posts