Survivalist Forum banner
  • Are you passionate about survivalism? Would you like to write about topics that interest you and get paid for it? Read all about it here!
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Last week an 18 wheeler carrying fruit rolled and I ended up with about 300 pounds of apples and pears. I fired up my slicer, dehydrator and Food Saver vacuum sealer. Now I don't plan on keeping these fruits for ever. I am just slicing, dehydrating and vacuum sealing them, nothing else. How long will they last like this?

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,758 Posts
Properly dehydrated (brittle crisp, not leathery) 2-3 years. Longer if packed better. They may brown on you unless you either acidify or sulphur them before dehydration. Acidifying is easy. Mix some lemon juice or citric or ascorbic acid in water and dip them.

·
Beer Truck Door Gunner
30,718 Posts
Longer if packed better.
What Mike means by this is after you dip them in lemon and FULLY dehydrate you might want to store them in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

Vacuum packing isn't a very good food storage solution. It's fine for reducing freezer burn on foods you throw in the deep freeze, but no vacuum is good enough to remove all the oxygen, which is the primary destroyer of food. Neither is any plastic bagging material that doesn't have a proper metalized coating to stop gas migration through the plastic.

Dip them, dry them, mylar bag seal with O2 packs, and you might get a decade of good storage from them.

Reactions: The Saint and MikeK

·
Long Term Survival Expert
136 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I don't expect this fruit to last very long. Everybody in the family wants some to snack on. If it last a few months I will be surprised. I have mylar and co2 absorbers, I just don't want to waste them on things that will soon be opened.

·
Registered
7,877 Posts
I don't expect this fruit to last very long. Everybody in the family wants some to snack on. If it last a few months I will be surprised. I have mylar and co2 absorbers, I just don't want to waste them on things that will soon be opened.

mylars would be totally reusable .... 02 are just pennies ..... packed food is always worth more than the packing materials used .....

·
Christian
39,500 Posts
What Mike means by this is after you dip them in lemon and FULLY dehydrate you might want to store them in mylar bags with oxygen absorbers.

Vacuum packing isn't a very good food storage solution. It's fine for reducing freezer burn on foods you throw in the deep freeze, but no vacuum is good enough to remove all the oxygen, which is the primary destroyer of food. Neither is any plastic bagging material that doesn't have a proper metalized coating to stop gas migration through the plastic.

Dip them, dry them, mylar bag seal with O2 packs, and you might get a decade of good storage from them.
key words highlighted.

The standard plastic bags most people use with food savers will "leak" air into the package eventually, Mylar will not.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts