Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I sealed this particular food because I actually eat it and I bought too many bags at costcos a couple of months back, so I thought it would be better to seal it in Mylar. Costcos only carries this every so often.

Here is the product link:

https://www.bobsredmill.com/shop/oats/organic-quick-cooking-steel-cut-oats.html

I know these may not be the best food for long term survival storage but I'm just wondering how long they would be safe to eat.

It does say in the description that they have been lightly toasted, if that helps the shelf life any.

I just can't seem to locate on the internet how long these steel cut oats will last. I did see one place selling steal cut oats in mylar and they stated 15 year shelf life. which I believe is too long a date to eat.

My question is how long will it last sealed in mylar with oxygen absorber where there is no rancidity even starting? Like where it will not damage the DNA in my body by eating it.

I assume if you say it will last 15 years sealed, at 15 years there is probably a little bit of rancidity going on where you will have some internal damage in your body by eating it, but it is better than starving.

So there must be a 100% safe eat by date, to eat this if stored in mylar with an oxygen absorber. There must also be a not 100% safe but probably OK to eat by date.

On the product itself it says it "Best by 01 APR 2021".

·
Registered
626 Posts
I like steel cut oats and our local stores seldom had it on the shelf. I purchased about 5 CANS of the steel cut oats and after the first 3 (about 9 months) the remainder were rancid.

·
Registered
865 Posts
I hope they last a long time. Back in '14 , I stored 50 lbs in mylar and O2 absorbers. Ate quite a few of them in 2017 trying an all grains diet to experience food fatigue. I stored my grains in 4 lb packs for convenience. Have one open in the pantry now. Still tastes fresh

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
reluctant sinner
17,510 Posts
Interesting question. I'm sure they will last better in better packaging with an O2 absorber.

My sis leaves her using butter stick out, I keep mine in the refrigerator. Her always taste rancid to me and I will not use it.

When I was first diagnosed diabetic, I started eating "paste" otherwise known as oatmeal. After about 6 months I ask about getting off insulin. My doc let me try. Metformin tried to kill me but Glipizide did the trick - A1C down to 5.8 for like 2 years with diet and exercise. However once off the insulin I could no longer eat corn or anything with corn products, oatmeal or raisins. I get a very nasty "reflux" than makes me want to die.

Storing fats and oils for the long term is a real issue.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
I have rolled oats in original container with a use by Dec 2018 which is still good. It has been opened over two years. I am using it for baked oatmeal and it has no odor or taste of rancidity.

·
Registered
3,126 Posts
I hope steel cut oats store well. I've got 100lbs of it, mostly in buckets with Mylar. The overflow that wouldn't fit in buckets are in 1 gallon bags, still holding tight. I need to look at them and maybe open a bag to try. I think it was 2013 when I put them up.
My thought when I did was that they might do well since they are minimally processed. But still in a state where they are ready to cook. And I prefer steel cut over rolled oats.
I paid less than $50 for them so if I lose them it won't hurt too bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,834 Posts
'Rancid' is usually the term for fats and oils oxidizing. Do oats have a lot of fats and oils in them?

I store a lot of whole grains [corn, wheat, barley, oats]. I have found that my primary issue with mold from moisture. I use re-useable desiccant to keep my grains dry, and they last for many years.

If your issue with indeed 'rancid' then you need to focus on using oxygen absorbers.

·
Registered
81 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I hope steel cut oats store well. I've got 100lbs of it, mostly in buckets with Mylar. The overflow that wouldn't fit in buckets are in 1 gallon bags, still holding tight. I need to look at them and maybe open a bag to try. I think it was 2013 when I put them up.
My thought when I did was that they might do well since they are minimally processed. But still in a state where they are ready to cook. And I prefer steel cut over rolled oats.
I paid less than $50 for them so if I lose them it won't hurt too bad.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
Steel cut oats from what I can gather are not that great at storing long term. The rolled oats or the quaker oats store much longer because they are steam rolled or something which does something to the fats, which prevents the fats from going rancid.

If I was you I would only eat them in SHTF where you are starving at this point, they are probably not worth the risk of eating if not SHTF because there is a chance the fats will become rancid and can cause DNA damage and may lead to the possibility of a cancer you may never have had if you had not eaten them.

But it is worth the risk of eating them if you are starving as the risk of cancer is quite low from the rancid fats and better than starving.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
We go to Bob's once a year. He said up to 7 years if stored in a homer bucket in a cool place. We have preps from 2008 that we are still eating.

·
Registered
5,450 Posts
There used to be an outfit called Walton's feed, in Idaho I believe, that sold oatmeal in 6 gal buckets that were purged with inert gas. They were one of the first LTS sources. I bought several of their LTS buckets, and I always bought a non LTS bucket every time I ordered because their oatmeal quality was BETTER than Quaker oats bought in the store.

It takes some time to go through 6 gal of oatmeal, we don't eat it every day. We used it for making "MONSTER cookies" but I don't recall any of their non LTS oatmeal going bad.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts