Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 22 Posts

·
Sibi Totique
1,074 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So looking back, how have you increased your capacity to survive and cope with crisis situations this year? And what are you planning to do in 2010?

Personally I’ve gained some knowledge about Weapons of Mass Destruction, taken a few courses related to survival, added some equipment, started to do more physical training, joined this forum and started to write my blog Sibi Totique. When it comes to equipment I’ve had most essentials for many years, the major improvement lies in organization and making an inventory. For the next year the plan is to keep it going and add to some areas, but I believe that the major focus will be on skills, knowledge and my physical strength plus health.

So how long have you progressed this year and what are your plans for 2010?

·
workin on it......
1,110 Posts
I've learned to water bath can the food I've grown.
We've added some more gear. Bought some extra ammo and hubby got a new weapon.

Next year I plan on getting my CCW.
Plant some berry bushes and I really would like to plant some fruit trees.
Learn to pressure can foods and meats.
Buy some cold weather gear. ( hopefully right after the holidays here coming up).
I'll keep on "hinting" to the hubby about building a root cellar and getting some chickens. lol

·
4 Fried Chickens & A Coke
2,679 Posts
Getting better, certainly better than a year ago

I wish I had more disposable income, so I could get everything at all once

I'm about 3/4 of the way there. Need more food supply and a water purification system.

Chipping away at it none the less

·
Registered
33,068 Posts
Night and day!

A year ago I had preps that would get me maybe 4 weeks

I am almost 1 year worth of preps now, guns, radios, ammo, water pruification, first aid, 1200 cans of veggies, 200 plus large cans of chicken/beef, 300 rolls of TP, 30 tubes of tooth paste and other personal products, 15 oil lamps, 4 ways to make fire, gas grill with built in oven, 400lbs of rice, 350 beans, 150 cans/jars of fruit, 50 boxes of mash potatoes, 10 large Ketsup, mustard, mayo, 5 gal salt, pepper, spices, 12 large cans of powdered eggs, powered milk for 140 gallons, 25 (1) gallon cans of baked beans, 15 pallets of bottled water, 25 (1) gallon jugs of water, 100 disposable lighters, 50 boxes of kitchen matches, 10 mag lighters, 5 gallons of canned butter, canned bacon, 200 cans of tuna, 40-50 of salmon, pancake mixes 20 boxes, 50 cans of pineapple, 40-50 cans of fruit cocktail, 30 lbs of pasta, 3 large first aid kits/from Sams

on and on and on

·
Rogue
1,617 Posts
I have simply fixed some holes and made some improvements. We had a big flood back in August which left us with no power, no water, and significantly diminished road infrastructure for a week. During that time I found a few holes in my preps in particular that I could not rely on some of the sources of water I had bet on. Having an alarm clock that does not require electricity to function was another weak spot.

But for the most part I have simply been adding to my stock piles. Ammo, food, spare parts, etc. I added a bunch of fruit trees to my property as well as some blue berry bushes.

·
Registered
103 Posts
I can only do so much being 17, but this year my parents taught me how to till our soil and plant a large garden on our rural property. Having no wheels or serious income, it's hard to prep on any big level, but I did manage to buy myself a CZ-52, and a Bushmaster AR15A2, so that's progress in my mind. Guns aren't everything, and I would love to learn more important things like food preservation techniques and mainly alot of other things that come with life experience, which I don't have a lot of at my age. I guess the best head start I have is growing up and living in the country my whole life with no running water or electric heat, so everyday life is somewhat of a survival endeavor. Im sure like everyone else here, I feel like I can't learn enough and will continue to learn because knowledge doesn't take up any weight in your backpack.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Over the past year we have taken an empty unused room in our basement and turned it into a piece of our survival puzzle that will hopefully help to provide for our family in the event of a SHTF situation. We've also increased our weapons (even some evil black rifles) and ammunition supply and began plans for raising rabbits for meat. We've also spent time with other family members and explained the importance of preparedness (I think we actually got though to some of them)

There's still so much more to do that I hate to even think about it, but we'll just keep taking it a step at a time and continue to add items and knowledge to our survival plans.

·
Super Gassy Moderator
66,258 Posts
I've been pretty well stocked for years now, but there's always more to do. This next year I plan to work more on skills.

I want to learn more advanced canning recipes, develop my gardening skills further and expand the garden. If it works out, I'm going to build at least one large solar dehydrator. I'm working to further my mediocre bread making skills.

For years now, I've jumped into as many skills as possible, mastering the basics then moving on to another skill that needs learned. I haven't had the time to become more advanced in many of them, so this is a good time to focus on honing those skills now.

If I manage to find work or come up with a business idea that works out, I'm going to have to do a lot of restocking since we've been eating out of our preps since summer with no money to restock them.

·
Registered
405 Posts
I have made a ton of progress from what I had last year (nothing) by getting what I had organized and adding food, water, guns, ammo, and starting a garden. I still have a long way to go but right now I am focusing on cash since I graduate college in the spring and don’t really know what is going to happen next.

·
Registered
6,607 Posts
Not as much as I would like but, have gotten enough LTS food for family for 2-3 months with TP, ammo, can goods increased for 2 months; increased silver holdings by about $100 face

·
See you in my Scope
2,622 Posts
I got my "79" Jeep Cherokee Chief on the road as my BOV. Re-equiped my BOB. Spent way more time outside.

Next year?

Putting in 30 day notice and living out of my BOV probably for at least a year. We shall see how it goes. This will allow for super-equiping the BOV and learning exactly what I need.

I have been kincking around the idea of going super simple for about a year now. I am tired of working so much to store all my crap in my little used house. I am tired of heating and cooling the house. I am tired of working really hard and not enjoying life.

This guy is my inspiration.
http://www.whenshtf.com/showthread.php?t=8419

I think I am ready. My preps and my skills should get me there and I happen to work for a wireless internet contractor so, I am going to be able to have internet wherever I go.

this has been a dream for me.

So, time for a big friggin yard sale.

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
I have a friend who is going to teach me how to do canning. I am trying also to get into much better shape physically, and learn to eat a lot less. Its amazing how much food you DON"T need when ya think about it. Because of our sorry job condition, we won't be able to do much in the way of preps, but I always manage to put in an extra $15 or $20 bucks worth of stuff when we shop.

·
Registered
9,102 Posts
Iv had a massive learning curve this year. I started on another forum and this one in Feb 09. So Iv basically been learning new things since then.

I have a basic kits, and about a months food preps, and lots of notes on every subject under the sun. I have a great deal to learn but I have also remembered a lot Iv learnt and forgotten from grandparents, parents and older friends.

Next year, Im hopeing to restart making my own clothes, get a mannequin for said use, organise the entire house especially my bedroom and craft cupboard.

Iv got multiple blood tests and a Dr appointment for January so keeping on top of that.

I want to write more, Iv finished one book - Jessica's Travels, half way through its sequel, and one after that in basic planning. Thats without all the other stories and books planned or half written.

Iv got lots to keep my brain busy.

·
off-grid organic farmer
23,787 Posts
This past year has seen a massive increase in our firearms and ammo.

Our orchard went from only 16 apple trees, to now having plums, walnuts, basket-weavers willow, pecan, ginkgo, cherry, chestnut, mulberry, hazelnut, apricot, elderberry and witch hazel. Plus a system of surface water drainage and culverts has been added.

Our one chicken coop went to 8 greenhouse/coops.

And we have began kicking around the idea of leasing one 10-acre parcel to another prepper, and we have room for a few more 10-acre parcels.

·
A Way of Life
1,285 Posts
I've gone from zero to what post #7 looks like, including home defense and medical preps. I now have water filtration systems that can render the tens of thousands of gallons of local lake water completely safe for drinking purposes. My family and I can live for about 15 months on what we have saved so far.

However, the goal is to become self sufficient. To that end, this year a garden will be started, the harvest will be canned, and in the meantime we are looking to buy farm property where we can expand our "operations."

It's been a night-and-day switch. One year ago I was totally unprepared and worried for my family's safety and future. Now, we have at least some peace of mind knowing that we can survive for the short term, and we look forward to preparing for long-term survival.

Keep it up, everyone!

·
Registered
1,142 Posts
Had a terrible garden this year but plan on a large one next year. Got the basement all cleaned out and organized the whole house. Added a few new weapons and ammo, some Pms and some other goodies

·
Protector
87 Posts
I definetely think I've progressed quite a bit just by joining this forum and learning what I can about topics valuable in a survival situation. I've also collected quite a bit of camo and other useful survival supplies. Next year: more supplies and training.

·
Registered
419 Posts
A year ago, I had just found this site. Since then, I got my Red Cross First Aid/CPR/AED certificate and also took the CERT training course. Increased my food storage. Picked up a drop spindle and am learning to spin wool. Found out that a group of my friends are also prepping and we formed a MAG.

Next year, I want to get a garden growing and learn to can. My biggest hole right now is independent power supply.

·
Registered
2,461 Posts
So looking back, how have you increased your capacity to survive and cope with crisis situations this year? And what are you planning to do in 2010?

Personally I’ve gained some knowledge about Weapons of Mass Destruction, taken a few courses related to survival, added some equipment, started to do more physical training, joined this forum and started to write my blog Sibi Totique. When it comes to equipment I’ve had most essentials for many years, the major improvement lies in organization and making an inventory. For the next year the plan is to keep it going and add to some areas, but I believe that the major focus will be on skills, knowledge and my physical strength plus health.

So how long have you progressed this year and what are your plans for 2010?
bought about 3,000 rounds of ammo and keep two weeks worth of food in the house.

1 - 20 of 22 Posts