Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
913 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi!
I am not necessarily believing in TEOTWAKI but figure on 1)layoff 2)rioting or 3)natural disaster as the three events to occur. Keeping these in mind how long should I keep food/fuel/water/medical stocks for?

I am debating three days as FEMA directs, two or three weeks, or even three months (time it takes to find job after layoff). I don't see myself stockpiling for a year that is for sure. Some may disagree but I think that time period is off the table.

Ideas are welcome
KT

·
Registered
240 Posts
I don't stock pile an extreme amount of food because some of mine is kept alive until the need is there to eat. I Have poultry for eggs and meat as needed. I grow fruits and veggies in the garden and I save the seeds for the next planting. So I don't stock as much foods as other people do because I don't need to. Your food storage should be what you can store plus what you can grow. If you can't grow anything then you should probably store more.

I personally could eat for probably a month on the food we have stocked up without any replenishment and not including anything I grow or raise myself.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I have about 3 months right now and I plan on going for at least 5 or 6 months of food for both me and my wife. I have quite a bit of ammo and won't quit buying that either. I have general medical supplies, toiletries, candles, fire starting stuff, etc.

Three days? I've had BM's that lasted that long. 3 days worth of food is a joke. Everybody should have at least a months worth and working towards 3 in my opinion.

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
My plan is 3 months of food. Not sure what is 3 months of food is. I have maybe 50 cans of veggies 50 cans of meat stuff (typical soda can or so sized). I have about 50-70lbs of rice. 30lbs of dry beans. 20lbs of pancake mix add water only. Enough dry milk to make 20 gallons (3yr old daughter). 20 or so containers of bullion cube. 10lbs or so sugar. 2 boxes of salt. 15 lbs of oats. Spices. 8 gallons of bleach. A few container of vegetable oil. Only about 15 gallons of water though.

This is in addition to a completely stuffed kitchen shelves. Make sure you don't have too much dry foods. Water may be hard to come by. Make sure you have 2 or 3 55 gallon drums to collect rainwater or to fill up before a big storm or if rioters might screw up the water pumping stations. I am leaning on too much dry food. My items are 2-3 months old. I am looking into putting it in mylar bags. Another big thing I stress is food location. Put the stuff is waterproof boxes (I use heavy duty rubbermaid 20 gallon boxes). Also, don't store everything in 1 place in the house. If someone raids your house and finds it when they see 1 stash, they likely think they got it all. IF you need to evacuate quick those containers will make things mobile quick. Also, try to keep the dry food at 70 degrees or lower. Storing food in an attic is a bad idea. Don't forget your dog or cat.

I have about 20 gallon spare fuel and 5 cars I can pump dry. Have some sort of device to pump gas out of. Do not rely on anything electric in your home, even If you own a generator. Get a woodstove. Having a coal stove means you can also burn wood. People will steal firewood way before they even think of taking one lump of coal from you.

Not sure If you own a firearm. I have 3 military ammo can boxes full of ammo. One can has about 300 rounds of .30-30. The Other 2 cans have about 500 rounds of #6 20 gauge birdshot, 50 of #3 or 00 buckshot, 50 of rifled slugs, and 100 rounds of sabot style 20 gauge slug (they need to be used in a rifled slug barrel). I also have about 1500 rounds of 22lr. Might add another can a 44 mag or 22-250 for a new rifle purchase (lever action or bolt action varmit round).

Got some more in depth medical supplies like more large bandages, suture kit, iodine, and some more advanced life saving meds. My wife used to be a professional paramedic. Another big item to think of, can your area flood or be hit by a hurricane? If so the best lifesaving peice of equipment might be life jackets, good inflatable raft or rowboat (canoes are too dangerous in swift currents), and wetsuits. Add a good supply of rope and a lifeline.

·
Iēsous
8,704 Posts
Hi!
I am not necessarily believing in TEOTWAKI but figure on 1)layoff 2)rioting or 3)natural disaster as the three events to occur. Keeping these in mind how long should I keep food/fuel/water/medical stocks for?

I am debating three days as FEMA directs, two or three weeks, or even three months (time it takes to find job after layoff). I don't see myself stockpiling for a year that is for sure. Some may disagree but I think that time period is off the table.

Ideas are welcome
KT
Hyper inflation is coming, the dollar will collapse, possibly anytime.

Fema Is BS

stock up now for Gods sake , There is very little time imo

·
Registered
122 Posts
Hi!

Ideas are welcome
KT
Why come here if you don't really believe in prepping? I consider six months of food a minimum and am working towards a year of food and ammo/med supplies. I am working on water filters and rain barrels as well.

·
Registered
17 Posts
I keep a years supply of some foods, some foods are easy to keep a years supply at low cost. grain, sugar, rice, canned food, pasta. and about 3m worth of frozen foods, like juice, meat, etc. (I wouldnt mind having 6m of this but I gota get a larger freezer or a second one.) and only a few weeks worth of milk/eggs/fresh fruit etc. I would like to have a longer supply of milk/eggs by going powdered but havent found a local supply yet. im looking into it though.

a years supply of everything would be nice, but it takes time, dont rush out and buy everything at once. the most important thing of any food storage is to use what you buy, so only buy what you use. that takes time to determine what you need.

start off by when you goto the grocery store, if you need one, buy three. pretty quick within a few months you'll have a good storage and know what you use and how much of it you do. then shop the sales. allways be aware of expiry dates and dont buy more then your going to use before it expires. waste is expensive and doesnt help you.

·
Registered
17 Posts
if you use it, store it.

toilet papaer, toothpaste, laundry soap, everything.

start small, and work your way up like north w suggests. I think to many people end up with waste and unused items by starting large right off the bat. start with a few weeks, then a few months, and work your way up.

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Hi!

Ideas are welcome
KT
we've always had at least a yrs supply just a way of life. It was the way we grew up, when hungry,go to the celler and pick out a few jars of home canned food and make a stew or whatever we wanted.
I strongly disagree with just a year. Hypothetical but just supposen things are great right now, making big bucks on the job, lots of work lined up,new vehicles with payments ect. Then someone connected to your job slows down and someone else connected to it goes under,suddenly your job is not very safe, then your vehicle gets rear ended or breaks down, you have to rent a trk, or someone gets deathly sick for a few weeks, you take off to be with them, now you're getting a cash flo problem. but with a couples yrs food stored away, at least you could eat and have one less worry. i think everyone should store at least 2 yrs and shoot for 5 and up to 10 with some storage items like beans, rice,wheat,sugar,salt.

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
Along the same lines sailinghudson25 said, you need a firearm.

What good is all the food in the world if you can't protect it, yourself, or your family? Everyone should own guns and plenty of ammo for them...

·
Registered
1,079 Posts
Along the same lines sailinghudson25 said, you need a firearm.

What good is all the food in the world if you can't protect it, yourself, or your family? Everyone should own guns and plenty of ammo for them...
I think everyone should have a little protection, but guns are only good if you can see the target and the target is an idiot. if a smart person wanted anything that another person had in an EOTWAWKI situation, he would bide his time and come after it on his terms. I know if it were my supplies, he would have just one chance. A couple of alert dogs are good to have around.
even my place would go up in smoke with a well placed arrow or some other projectile. everyone has to take a good look at their place and wonder how they would take it if it were someone elses and they wanted it. At night?
with fire? a home made grenade?

·
To secure peace is to...
4,194 Posts
I think everyone should have a little protection, but guns are only good if you can see the target and the target is an idiot. if a smart person wanted anything that another person had in an EOTWAWKI situation, he would bide his time and come after it on his terms. I know if it were my supplies, he would have just one chance. A couple of alert dogs are good to have around.
even my place would go up in smoke with a well placed arrow or some other projectile. everyone has to take a good look at their place and wonder how they would take it if it were someone elses and they wanted it. At night?
with fire? a home made grenade?
I understand. Nothing is secure, ever - in the end, if someone wants something bad enough, they'll get it.

But, I guarantee that I'll make it a $hit-ton tougher when I'm launching rounds at them. Furthermore, I don't see people selling their guns and ammo, why? Because there is security in flinging hot lead at 2000 feet per second :D:

·
Registered
4,886 Posts
Look at the situations you think are possible to happen. Also, look around the world and see what is happening there. Now put on two sets of "shoes". What would you like to have and what would be good to know when this happens. Now for the other set of shoes. Think of someone in that siutation with real hard times. No food, no water, no shelter, no income. What would you do IF you saw your child shivering with blue lips, constantly crying for food because she it so starved. What would you do to correct this action. What meaaures would you take to ensure you and your family survive? How many sets of those "shoes" are there around?

My two biggest concerns. Too many extra mouths to feed or clothe. By nature, humans are typical generous in nature. Do not tell too many people about your storage and prep. In desperate measures, they may turn on you because they know you have food. Another issue is the other "shoes" out there.

·
15T :)
505 Posts
start makin hard tack. it supposedly lasts forever because its nothing but a baked until dry water flour mix.

it can be eaten as a staple.

I usually make a batch for civil war re-enactments but now im looking into using hardtack as an emergency food supply.

·
Wide awake
1,963 Posts
Read through the below sites and get some background, then decide what/how you will prepare. I see no point in having just a few days or a couple of weeks worth of food. The average American household has a couple weeks worth of food. What will that do for you? Additionally, with unemployment on the rise, don't just assume that three months is the time it will take to find another job. The length of the depression is more accurate for many.

Survival360.net
Survivalblog.com
Equippedtosurvive.com

"Civilize the mind, but make savage the body."

1 - 17 of 17 Posts