Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
154 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
How long can ammo on a shelf or in storage sit for... Is it wise to buy 1,000 rounds if you know you won't shoot all of it in 2 years or so?

any input is greatly appreciated!

Dave

·
Good Bye
1,808 Posts
stored in a dry location with an airtight seal, 50 years is no problem. one problem with old rounds is them being trasported, and shaken. This causes the powder to grind up inside, and changes the burn charachteristics of it.

just my .02, but all my ammo is in sealed ammo cans with dessicant, and good rubber seals.

Reactions: medinaEOD

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
Cool and dry.
Don't set it directly on the floor, especially if in garage, etc....Put it on dunnage..the surplus GI ammo cans work great for storage.

·
25 Or 6 to 4
8,006 Posts
I have some stamped 1923 that shoots fine. Keep your powder dry and warm and it will last as long as you do.

·
Banned
1,092 Posts
Well after 35 years depending on storage the percentage of misfires goes up. That for non-corrosive priming componds. As for corrosive componds they last god knows how long for their civial war made ammo thats as good as the day it was made.

Rifleman 336

·
Corporate Stooge
116 Posts
Is there any advantage to vacuum packing it?
Yup. That removes any air and eliminates the need for dessicant. Pack it in bricks of an amount that you'd use in one 'sitting' and you should be good to go. I've got 2000 rounds of 7.62x54r packed in 80 round groups that might just outlast my lifespan.

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
Keep it out of heat and extreme cold and you will be fine. I have some ammo made in 1886 for a Steyr Model 1886 Straight Pull that fires like a champ.

·
Battling the Beast
169 Posts
There are some lead free primers being used that use aluminum compounds that oxidize and have a more limited shelf life, expected to be around 10 years. A specific example is FN's 5.7x28 SS195LF. For that reason I buy the non LF SS197SR for longer term storage.
That being said, as many others have posted, the vast majority of ammo will last decades stored properly.

·
Registered
36 Posts
I use GI ammo cans with the red to blue desiccant bead packs from ATG. I store all ammo and firearms in a closet with a powered dehumidifier running.

·
Registered
589 Posts
Is there any advantage to vacuum packing it?
I've heard a rumor that this can cause some primers to pop out due to the difference in air pressure inside and outside of the casing when placed under a vacuum. I'm not sure if this is true or not, but just something I've heard.

·
Registered
13 Posts
If you are careful in vacuum packing ammo the primers will not pop out. Many rounds of various ammo will pop the primers if the vacuum is sudden. Plus many types of ammo are sealed with a varnish type substance which can create a very airtight environment within the casing. However even that seal is not perfect so a VERY slow pull on the vacuum is necessary and does work.

1 - 20 of 38 Posts