Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
how long after food gets hyper expensive, or hyper scarce, do you think people will kill every darn thing around till there is no game to be found at all. i can already see yuppies heading into the woods and coming home with skunks and porcupines and weasles and turkey vultures to feed their families. i can see unskilled people shooting at stuff, unable to make a clean kill and unable to track their prey. i can see tons of meat wasted by people unable to clean game. how about thee?

·
Registered
3,376 Posts
The truth is most people who try to survive by hunting will starve to death. They will more likely kill one another by accident. It will be like turning a bunch of monkeys loose with machine guns. Those who hunt now will have a decided avantage because they will have stored in food to survive on till the population is culled naturally.

I don't look forward to this but it is a reality. Ask someone in law enforcement. they dread the day.

·
Premium Member
5,483 Posts
I.m not sure the game would die off...more then likely increase.

It seems to me, If things were bad enought to drive all those folks into the woods to hunt, more then likely there would be a large drop in the human population.

·
Registered
1,771 Posts
I heard that during the deppresion, you could not even see any birds in the air. Stock up
IMO the population in the depression era had many times the hunting and survival skills of the population today. I would not be worried, the people will die off long before they kill off all the game.

·
Registered
498 Posts
I guess it's "sad" that I think as far as inner city people go and urbanites that they'll be
more likely to kill one another fighting for stockpiles and pushing into closed markets
than they would be to go out in the woods and try to hunt something.
I've had some amazing farming/gardening/hunting conversations with people that SCARE
me about how ignorant most people are when it comes to foraging skills or animals. Those
who talk about keeping their cats and birds alive after TSHTF, etc.
I don't look for animal populations to decrease if something happen, like others here before
me...I expect a drastic die-off of humans. Call if "Death from Stupidity"

·
HOPE4BEST&PREP4WORST
493 Posts
I am sure mcdonalds will sell all manner of beast and fowl but it would be an open air market without :eek: A/C. But seriously I believe that some form of barter market will form\exist. But just in case i'm a still prepping

·
it tickles dont it
228 Posts
IMO the population in the depression era had many times the hunting and survival skills of the population today. I would not be worried, the people will die off long before they kill off all the game.

i think the major issue would be the lack of skill. Yes i think this could lead to game becoming more scarce. how, well for one most wont know how to clean/dress or preserve their harvest for very long.
By that i mean this- example-
Joe urbanite has a 12g single shot he walks/drives down to the local park(state forest whatever) because he's hungry or aka- out of food and has to feed the family.
He has it in his mind he needs meat!
he jumps a deer by shear luck and is lucky. He now has meat.
Well reality is he may only eat 5-10lbs before it starts to spoil. so now you have all that waste.
Instead of being smart and letting the larger game pass he just culled a food source for winter months or larger groups etc.

See where im going.

put 1000 "joe's" in the woods or trying to hunt, there will be shortages of game to harvest after a bit of time.

The depression years can not be used to compare what today's modern society may be capable of. The skill set and ability is not there. It can be learned but the curve for that post shtf wont be very forgiving.

·
Registered
497 Posts
I'm not to worried about game dieing out. Even with joe average wondering the woods first issue he won't go to far from his car he can't find his way out. Second he's to busy snapping twigs and making noise to find anything. He's more then likely carrying a pistol not a rifle. Because the magazine told him that was what he needed for home defense. He's gone to the range a couple times hit a target at a know range and count himself as done then put it away confident in his ability to protect his family and to hunt. It's most likely a 9mm cuz that's what your need for a fast follow up shot or it's a .50 cal cuz he wanted stopping power and is now too busy flinching to hit anything. I worry for for me in the woods then Joe Average it's a good reason to stockpile food and wait till winter or 7 months to move in the woods then hunt right away.

I hate to say it though most will forget that without proper meat handling you die and some wont remember that if it's not in the freezer or fridge it goes bad. They have food right that's enough. Meat is not the only thing you need to stay healthy when your no longer getting things added chemical to everything you ingest any more and mother nature is your pantry. Currently the average family goes out something like 5 days a week to eat (yep I was shocked to) and now they need prepackaged roasts to cook with everything chopped and ready for them. I use a portion of my homeschooling time to teach baking and basic cooking to the children. Why kids love ratios involving cookies and it is a dying skill. How this happens I'll never know.

Joe average will not head for the woods more the once before he either dies or decides that there is something wrong with wild game. After all he does fine with the prepackaged roast why can't he cook deer meat. If he can even find anything that is.

I don't see in a depression a lot of game getting taken. There are far less hunters and more "hunters".I would also like to point out there is a far cry from hunting and what a lot of people practice now. Going to sit on a tree stand with a coupe bottles of booze and shooting a trophy over a bait station that has been in place for years. Then having someone else take it back to camp and gut and process it for you while you enjoy a hot cooked meal waited on hand and foot. Does not prepare you for survival hunting. I am not saying anyone here is doing this but there are guys who are "hunters" that do or even worse select the animal from a pen and shoot it. Some times leaving the meat for the owner so they can have the head. They maybe able to hit the animal but can they stalk it in the woods or process it afterwords.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
i think its wishful thinking to say that joe sixpack is really that stupid, or lazy that he wont leave his car to get food when he and his fat family are starving. and when you have half a million joes running around the woods they are gonna scare up many animals and someone is gonna shoot them. sure many will be too loud and too stinky, many will shoot other guys out there. but we are talking about a nearly endless supply of city tards, and lets be honest most people in towns and villages too.

also the hunters and survivalist types might think "gee whiz there aint gonna be much left, better get while the gettins good" and start hunting overtime and preserving the meat. now multiply that times a million.

if the human presence is drastically reduced then yes i see animals running everywhere. but after TSHTF in any form, and there are lots of people, i imagine that you can look and look and rarely see an animal anywhere.

·
ruralist
1,441 Posts
I never really envisioned Joes taking to the woods, they are more likely to queue up outside supermarkets until cannibalism is on the menu. So IMO game number will go up. Unless the shtf is global nuclear warfare, in which case kiss goodbye to the lot.

·
Banned
8,012 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
I never really envisioned Joes taking to the woods, they are more likely to queue up outside supermarkets until cannibalism is on the menu. So IMO game number will go up. Unless the shtf is global nuclear warfare, in which case kiss goodbye to the lot.

after the stores are empty and before cannabalism maybe.

·
Registered
16 Posts
I don't think there will be a problem with game going scarce. Think of how much land in this country is still undeveloped wilderness. Sure, we have our giant, crowded, dirty, superficial cities but if you've done any amount of flying, you notice how much is either farm land, sprawl, or wilderness. Just take West Virginia for example. Absolutely beautiful with a decent human population. I can't see many Average Joes heading into those mountains. Too dangerous, too easy to get lost. The experienced hunter, yeah, no prob.

If you look at recent disasters, most people who do not bug out will be dealt with via disease, infection/injury, LACK OF MEDICATION, dehydration, starvation, and murder/suicide. I put the meds in there because there is such a high number of people in the US on meds they require to live. They won't last long when their heart meds aren't available. So you have a large number of people unfortunately dying off in a relatively short time, assuming people stay ignorant to the fact that they can work together to keep things running. All that happens before they get a chance to go "hunting." While I have no studies or data to back this up, my personal experience is that the farther from the major metropolitan areas, there is an increase in the number of neighborhoods and people helping each other to survive...within reason, of course. If there are experienced hunters and farmers in your small AO, you would do well to offer your help to free up their time to provide for a greater number. You're not going to just wait to kill them as their bringing back dinner. The rest of the people in the community wouldn't be too happy with you. The experienced hunter and farmer will be able to provide the best yields for the greatest number of people, thus helping preserve resources will keeping the population alive. A good number of people will come together and help each other survive, but it won't be in the cities where there are ZERO resources (besides human resources.)

Any body working on one of the molecular food assembly devices from Star Trek? I'll buy one off you for a couple bucks... :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
i dont belive that you could learn how to trekk your prey in time.most will die of or be killed for food.....one reason i dont live in a city.....anyone who growup in a small town,knows hunting is a way of life.you either have what it takes or you dont.those that dont will die off faster.when everything gows to hell iam out of here,going back to a hunting and gathering life style untill the seeds i planted come into flowering fruits and veges.smoking the leftover meat from your kill ,fish for food and garding fertlizer.can be gathered year round.if you know what your doing you can live happly in the woods.for a very long time................

1 - 20 of 56 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.