Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Paleoconservative
1,205 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Just wanted to get a read on everyones recent experiences with their carrier's network coverage, reliability, etc

My own with AT&T has gotten steadily worse over the last 12 months in terms of coverage and crawling on its hands and knees whether its 2 in the afternoon or 2 in the morning.

Several friends and/or business associates of mine in or around major cities all over the US have said theirs with Verizon, ATT and just a few with Tmobile has either been hit and miss or trending noticeably worse overall. Predictably, it got worse the more rural they were.

The big 3 carriers, mentioned above (that almost all the MVNO's piggyback off of) are supposedly all involved with upgrading their networks to 5g, more speed/ bandwidth but, from what I can tell, seem to be choking on even keeping basic reasonable coverage outside of metro areas and no, I'm not talking about trying to watch youtube while standing in the middle of the Okefenokee swamp. Just purely from a tower reception standpoint, being able to take or place a call.

Your experiences?

·
Registered
12,109 Posts
Verizon customer here since they were Airtouch. Now that the network has been very substantially built out coverage is a non-issue unless we happen to be in a very remote area. Phone calls are fine and I generally use the email app only for work-related stuff. Very little browsing on the data plan.

·
Registered
305 Posts
I dont like cell contracts. I use straight talk which uses verizon towers, I have the same quality I had with Verizon without the nonsense. Have coverage about everywhere, even on this rock.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,476 Posts
Straight Talk/Verizon for the business phone/home phone and Tracfone for the cell phone I carry.

Years ago I had Sprint and then AT&T and had no coverage in certain places. Since getting a Tracfone and their service, I can use my phone in places I could not with Sprint and AT&T.

I refuse to throw money away on expensive service plans and not have coverage when I need it.

·
Registered
9,499 Posts
ATT.

Its never changed in the ten plus years I've been on it.

Decent coverage at my house.

Oddly no coverage at all in the nearest town, and there never has been any.

·
Registered
3,279 Posts
ATT is great. Have their cellular based home internet also, rural area and we’re getting 30-40 mbps out here. All four of us can stream at once.

·
Si vis pacem, para bellum
7,307 Posts
My Phone is ATT, work phone is Verison. I make more work calls on my phone than on the company phone. Verison's in building coverage is almost non-existent.

·
Wile E Coyote, Genius.
33,595 Posts
Tmobile via some cheaper service that I would have to look up the name of.

Works pretty good most places.
But there is a dead zone I drive through every day that will drop the call every time.

Also, had no service at the house, until I installed a cellspot repeater. (you plug one device in up high in the house, and the other device you plug in on the ground floor.

·
Why do you ask? 2 Dogs!
13,567 Posts
I used to have Sprint, service was ok but their customer service is terrible

About 2 years ago, I went with Xfinity, I've had no issues so I can't tell you about customer service yet

Reactions: Fonz

·
Registered
66 Posts
Tried about all of them, but with T Mobile now. Very happy with them. Good customer service, good call quality. I live in the boonies here in WV. I had a wifi calling issue once, so I called them to try and clear it up. Apparently it was a problem with my sat internet. No problem, they sent me a mobile tower, a small box really. But, it works great.

·
The Power of the Glave
2,268 Posts
The cell phone companies operate with just barely enough capacity to handle a typical "high volume" day (holidays, weekends).

And rural areas are not a high priority for them either. Places where there are maybe 2-3 users per square mile. Where in a metro area you might have thousands in the same amount of area.

There is very little reserve capacity. In the cell phone companies eyes, any capacity that isn't being used in their systems, is a revenue loss.

Which is why cell phone service will be one of the first things to go in a SHTF-TEOTWAWKI situation.

They're out to maximize profits. Providing extra capacity in their systems for real emergencies---that's something that simply isn't on their radar.

·
Registered
11,462 Posts
Had AllTel, they were GREAT. Sold to AT&T, same towers, and they SUCKED!

Now using a local provider called Strata (same towers again, mostly), bundled wireless and fiber 'net to the house, and coverage is good, speeds are generally great. Only odd thing is, sometimes a text message will get delayed for hours for no good reason.

I'm pretty rural, but in a town, and in an oil field, coverage is pretty good, but there are holes in coverage as we go over the passes and through canyons.

·
Registered
3,219 Posts
Only Verizon has good coverage in my area. My provider is a MVNO using Verizon towers and I have a $120/year plan that has enough minutes to cover my talk only needs. I have a CDMA flip phone so I will have to find something LTE compatible and a new plan for next year. I like a flip because it's small and drops in my pocket with no worries of damage.

·
Registered
2,200 Posts
3,680 feet from the nearest cell tower here. unfortunately that tower does not have Verizon. The Verizon cell tower is 16.8 miles. so .66 meg download.

1 - 20 of 42 Posts