Survivalist Forum banner

How important is your location to you as a prepper?

• Utmost Importance

Votes: 115 34.8%
  • Very Important

Votes: 173 52.4%
  • Somewhat Important

Votes: 36 10.9%
  • Little Importance

Votes: 3 0.9%
  • Makes No Difference

Votes: 3 0.9%
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
1,422 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I thought I would post this poll in relationship to the best and worst states threads.

How important is your location to you as a prepper? The scenario is total society/financial meltdown. For whatever reason you can not bug out.

Please vote and state your reasons. :)

·
Registered
101 Posts
Location is very important. If you are visiting Old Faithful when Yellowstone blows, or sitting on your front porch when a large asteroid lands on your roof, you're hosed.
Location is important but which location is just a guess.

·
Banned
8,064 Posts
I think there needs to be further clarification on the topic becuase there are additional variables, such as finances, family, city culture, etc.

we have as much family living outside of town, yet we choose to live in town cuz we don't want to have to make a "trip" to go to the zoo, museum, etc.

Anyone who loves living in the city, doesn't really like the country, yet moves to the country due to prepping is living in fear and that's no way tolive.

·
Seeking Knowledge
216 Posts
No question in my mind.

It is the key factor to survival. Some people call it preparedness for a reason and being in the right location before crap flies is the ultimate preparation.

The last year and a half of my life has been dedicated to building my portable income so that we can fly outta Southern California for good.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
68,497 Posts
I chose very important. A location that provides for the growing of crops offers important benefits, as does having sources of water, or natural protection, etc. But location is not the most important aspect of all. As proven by the diverse places that mankind has developed all over the world. There are people who are going to survive in all sorts of places. But those with good natural resources and climate have a strong advantage.

·
American fearmaker
14,249 Posts
I opted for somewhat important because I know that I can survive just about anywhere. I'm an old paratrooper who has been around the block a few hundred times so survival is automatic with me. Location isn't my main concern but some places are a little better than others. Each location has its advantages and disadvantages in my opinion. I use what advantages I find to help in my survival as needed.

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
May I ask a question

... to sell a TN farm that was paid for, and relocate here.
You can tell me to shove off, but what was wrong with the Tenn farm? People around where you were too *******? Too close to an urban area?

I understand the difference between good simple country folk and mean ignorant crackers. And now there's the matter of rural meth labs.

Thanks for any input you may have.

·
Still standing
1,255 Posts
People who live in a location

OK, so geography is way important. Is the place with water supplies? Is the land good enough to grow food? Such matters are high on the critical list.

But, y'know what. An item at the top of my list is, "What kind of people live in my area?!"

Evaluate the psychology of the cultures and people of your area -- and not just as they behave day-to-day. Use your imagination, really think about this, put that psychology in an "Oh holy crap!" situation. How would they behave? Would they roll up their sleeves and get to work? Do they already have gardens? Do they have a tool shed out back and do carpentry or whatever? Do they do their own work around their houses? Would they defend not only their own, but the neighborhood in general? Do they keep to their own and act like mice? Do you have low-life folk moving into your area?

Everyone can come up with a list of positive and negative attributes they can be evaluating concerning the people around you. Like it or not, this factor also applies to those way out in no'wheres'ville. "Had a friend who bought some land ..." I bet everyone has heard that phrase -- well it did happen to me. I had a friend who bought some land, he was crazy and needed some Zen time far from the madding crowd, he really did. He wasn't there a year and some ignorant trash started digging up part of his land. We went out there with our rifles to see what the ****ens was going on -- looked like they were prepping to grow hemp or bury some crap to come back for later. Nobody ever showed, but this was a bunch of trouble in "paradise". Can't get away from scummy people. See what I mean?!

·
Registered
100 Posts
Planning to shelter in place?

If your plan is to shelter in place then location and defense are very important. As this article shows, much of the US will be stricken with drought in the coming decades. That makes raising livestock on pastures difficult and open farming will similarly not be practical. Extreme water conservation, cisterns with extensive rainwater collection, etc will be important. Also, hoop houses and greenhouses to reduce evaporation will be necessary even in places with only moderate drought because water tables will be depleted quickly by those who deny it is happening so rainwater will be necessary for drinking water too.

Now, that said, it also starts to imply that migration will be mandatory by 2030 or so, and I would guess migration will start in 2020. Land that is not drought stricken may be a challenge to hold on to. Seizure of land for food production would seem likely if the government survives, and if not, then migrating hoards will seize land if they can.

As you can see, I don't have much use for a bug out bag because each day will be a little more difficult than the previous and each day people will decide to move on to greener (literally) pastures. Like endangered species, rural people on average will move about 100-200 miles northward per decade in the future. Urban folks won't migrate until food and energy run out ... and it is hard to say with urban gardening, etc. when that might happen.

The time to prevent all this mess started in the '70s and really ended in the 2000's so now the only question is how do we get ready to handle the consequences. If we actually do something to reduce the problem the consequences in the future will be less, but realistically that is not going to happen any time soon.

·
Beyond the grid!
698 Posts
You can tell me to shove off, but what was wrong with the Tenn farm? People around where you were too *******? Too close to an urban area?

I understand the difference between good simple country folk and mean ignorant crackers. And now there's the matter of rural meth labs.

Thanks for any input you may have.
Don't mind sharing at all...
I had acreage with pastures, livestock & a producing orchard. Varied, several kinds of fruits, grapes & berries as well as a garden. Plant a fence post there and its likely to sprout & grow.
********? Those 'good ole boys' didn't concern me, I'm one myself, and they are all preppers too. It was the 'white trash' that did. Morons living on welfare, food stamps & fraudulent disability.
I could leave nothing outdoors that wasn't under heavy lock & key. Can you imagine going on a foraging trip & returning to a looted, burned & dead family?
I got flamed under my old persona (ergo Lost_ID) for a posting I made. That's not the reason I changed ID's but here is the rub:
I rationalized that in the event of SHTF, I would be forced to a preemptive eradication (cold-blooded murder) of an entire family of parasites to secure my preps for my family. (One family wasn't bad enough, NAFTA, & catering to the orient, have 'created' welfare towns everywhere. We're talking about MANY families within walking distance of larceny).
Imagine a nest of snakes on a playground... do you wait until your child is bitten before taking action?
I made a comprehensive (2yr) study of the demographics of selected areas across the US, I tracked average wind speeds & solar days during that time. I factored in so many anal things that you wouldn't believe me if I told ya.
End result, I'm here.

·
Registered
22,053 Posts
Location dictates to a large degree what natural resources are available and how much time and effort must be dedicated to security. Other than you own personal training and gear it is the very next most important thing.

·
Registered
5,625 Posts
...There are people who are going to survive in all sorts of places. But those with good natural resources and climate have a strong advantage.
Location will strongly influence the rate of successful survival, but as long as the basic necessities of water, food and shelter are being met, it is possible to do nearly anywhere. So location is #2.

1 - 20 of 104 Posts