Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
When I was in the Marines they made us carry survival kits in our gear. My thoughts are, while certain items are best kept in my pockets, my web gear is my survival kit. I have found an incredible amount of redundancy, at the cost of weight. The idea with the web gear is that it never comes off your body, which means you always have your survival kit on you. As an added incentive, by eliminating the survival kit in my bet and making it simply my belt is my survival kit, I save space either on the belt or in the butt pack.

This simple idea extends to the BOB as well. By having everything contained in the pack it is ridiculous to then use up space with a specially designated kit within the BOB. The BOB should be treated as the survival kit itself.

This is excluding daily life, where I carry my most vital items on my body at all times, but the things I carry on my body in everyday life I carry on my body in the field so there is no need for an additional kit to take up valuable pocket space.

This has all just been my own opinion, but let me know how you feel about it.

Adam

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
[This simple idea extends to the BOB as well. By having everything contained in the pack it is ridiculous to then use up space with a specially designated kit within the BOB. The BOB should be treated as the survival kit itself.

/QUOTE]

I don't think so, but are you saying you are against compartmentalizing within your BOB in this paragraph?

·
Guardian of Liberty
435 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
No, I am not against compartmentalizing. I am stating an observation I made many years ago. When I taught survival at a school in the Marines I noticed students constantly carrying to much extra garbage: 5 different ways to start a fire as an example, and found when the survival kit is looked at at the web gear, or BOB, we often saved about the space of 3 M16 mags, since that's what a lot of guys were using.

I am kind of a minimalist and am always looking for ways to consolidate and eliminate the unneeded weight. Ounces make pounds.

1 - 3 of 3 Posts