Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 158 Posts

·
Registered
469 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was talking on another forum how the bunkers couldn't be opened with a grenade.(regarding the show "Doomsday Bunkers").

However, a cup of gasoline or other noxious chemical would run those people out like smoke in a gopher hole.

Sure, those things are cool, but are they practical? The bunkers are great if their secluded and nobody knows you are there.

·
Super Moderator and Walking Methane Refinery
67,439 Posts
Only as good as you concealed the vents. If you make them where they aren't obvious and design them so that they can be closed off, not flooded, etc. I can see where it would be safer.

But realistically, any bunker can be attacked by the simple virtue of it being a sitting duck. In a SHTF situation, people may have access to things they can't currently get. Explosives, heavy excavating equipment, poisons, etc.

To me a bunker is great for avoiding storms and tornadoes. Perhaps even protection from a nuclear or chemical incident. But by lack of defensibility, they come up short as an all around survival solution.

·
Registered
318 Posts
its all gotta do with concealability. if you concealed your vents well enough, you'll have no issues. opsec in this particular circumstance plays a huge roll as well. once i get my bunker built, NO ONE, and i mean NO one except for myself and the lady will know ANYthing about it, not its location, not what's in it, not what it is, not even that it exists.

think about it, if you have a bunker in your yard and the vents are concealed and no one has any reason to search through your yard, thinking "hey, this guy might have a bunker." it'll just seem like any ordinary yard with ordinary things. but if you see a random pipe sticking out of the ground, someone might think, "this guy DEFINITELY has a bunker, he's GOT to have food and bullets down there."

conceal it, your best defense for your bunker is simply by not telling anyone it exists.

·
Independent Thinker
2,244 Posts
its all gotta do with concealability. if you concealed your vents well enough, you'll have no issues. opsec in this particular circumstance plays a huge roll as well. once i get my bunker built, NO ONE, and i mean NO one except for myself and the lady will know ANYthing about it, not its location, not what's in it, not what it is, not even that it exists.

think about it, if you have a bunker in your yard and the vents are concealed and no one has any reason to search through your yard, thinking "hey, this guy might have a bunker." it'll just seem like any ordinary yard with ordinary things. but if you see a random pipe sticking out of the ground, someone might think, "this guy DEFINITELY has a bunker, he's GOT to have food and bullets down there."

conceal it, your best defense for your bunker is simply by not telling anyone it exists.
Everybody that helps builds it will know and remember. Remember that.

·
Grand Poobah of Sarcasm
3,083 Posts
I noticed the hippie bunker had what looked like a castle tower on it. I think they used it for a guard post but I bet there was a vent in it too. It was high enough that someone couldn't get at it easily.
I think for the most part bunkers may be more effort to raid than they are worth. Have you ever dug a badger out of its hole? You won't do it twice.

·
Locked & Loaded
555 Posts
I saw an episode the other night where someone's bunker completely flooded from a rain storm. That bunker was pretty pointless.

The only practical way, is to do it all yourself and keep your secret.

·
Registered
272 Posts
The one that flooded was just a storm shelter. But the whole thing is just an advertisement for that guys business.

I can't help but think that "storm shelter" wasn't just planted for the show. These shows are getting hysterical...LOL

The "hippie" guy the other day is actually some sort of real estate/developer dude. He buys, and sells those old missle bases and revamps some of them. I was cruising the internet and found him along with the other dude that was trying to sell the "CONDO" to the blonde lady.

And the guy leaning out his house window shooting bad guy targets. He's last one of two shots....MAYBE.

Anyways.........it is what it is i guess.

·
Registered
286 Posts
I am not sure many people plan on living in there bunkers, At least I don’t. I will use it if there is an NBC event or if there is a natural disaster that requires it. But for the most part I will be living in my home and tending to my gardens and livestock.

·
Idiot Savant x Infinity
892 Posts
I was talking on another forum how the bunkers couldn't be opened with a grenade.(regarding the show "Doomsday Bunkers").

However, a cup of gasoline or other noxious chemical would run those people out like smoke in a gopher hole.

Sure, those things are cool, but are they practical? The bunkers are great if their secluded and nobody knows you are there.
A proper defensive blast (nuclear) bunker will have pressure vents that instantly shut on over pressure. This will prevent ruptured eardrums and or death from overpressure. The vents are also encased in large welded boxes so gas or clogging with rags won't work.

Flush turrets like this that raise up and have 360 view to kill have been used for many decades.
http://farm5.static.flickr.com/4084/5096918660_49699a439e.jpg

1 - 20 of 158 Posts