Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 32 Posts

·
Forum Administrator
16,680 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Not the inflatable, but the military surplus foam sleeping pads, how good are they?

I have several self-inflating sleeping pads, but to reduce weight and to make setting up camp faster, or faster taking down camp, I was looking at some of the foam sleeping pads on Ebay.

alleghenyoutlet has some sleeping pads for $5.90 + $12.76 shipping.

I thought about ordering one just to try it out.

So, are they any good?

·
Registered
268 Posts
They pretty much suck. At least I thought so when I was issued one. Now I'm older and want a comfortable pad. My air mattress is insulated and good into some pretty cold weather. It weights about the same (within a few ounces of a USGI pad) and works a whole lot better. Not to mention it's a whole lot easier to pack.

·
Registered
1,490 Posts
I went from a military sleeping pad to a Thermarest to a new style Thermarest.

Never notice much difference at all. If all I had was the old military pad I feel like I'd sleep just as well. In some cases, better.

·
Premium Member
10,830 Posts
I have a dozen of the old OD green military ground pads.
Stored rolled up, they want to curl back into a roll when spread out (PITA).
They are just spares or trade material.

If you are young & limber, they are okay.
If you are older, with some wear on your parts, they are not

By far not my preferred ground mat.

The better self-inflating Thermarest is my go-to ground mat.
A little more bulky, but FAR more insulation & comfort.

·
Registered
10,732 Posts
I used gorilla snot adhesive and glued two together. Slightly better than than a over inflated self inflator that tend to spring a leak.

·
Registered
3,694 Posts
I wouldn't take/carry an air mattress with a $10 bill. A thermarest is smaller/more compact that the GI sleep mat but doesn't really make the ground any softer. If you want soft/comfy it's too big to carry.

The GI mat does a pretty decent job of insulating the fartsack from the cold ground. As intended. But it not handy to carry on a ruck in the as issued "format". Works good stowed on a vehicle GRC radio whip antenna.

·
Premium Member
238 Posts
The " Science of Sleeping Pads" now allows for a good nights rest as comfortable as your mattress. The closed cell foam pads are great (poor) for insulation, but are extremely poor for comfort in my opinion. Spend the money and get a Thermarest or other high quality self inflating sleeping pad and enjoy the benefits of good insulation and greater comfort! The Army used to keep me tired and constipated so I could be the meanest man in the battle. Rather be tactical than practical! Not!

·
Only politics *****.
5,418 Posts
You get what you pay for. They hardly insulate and don't cushion worth anything.

I didn't like the damn things when I was in my 20's, now that I'm nearly 60? I'll hump the extra weight of an air mattress.
What air matress are you using, because every one i have is lighter and smaller than a foam pad (unless it's one of those thinnest yoga pads).

I used gorilla snot adhesive and glued two together. Slightly better than than a over inflated self inflator that tend to spring a leak.
Solution: Don't overinflate and they stay fine. I have a 15 year old pad which still works. Overinflate them and well, what happens when you keep overinflating a tire: it pops. That's not a downside, it's common sense ;).

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
About the only good the USGI sleeping pad is good for is either to serve as a the ground barrier of your sleep system where many put a more comfortable inflatable on top of the USGI pad. My favorite purpose is to cut them into squares for seats while patrolling; they keep your bum from getting too cold and they keep you dry as well. Comfort and USGI sleeping pad do not coexist in the same universe. Kids are far more "malleable" than those of us with older bones...having several stashed for the kids isn't a bad idea; they're not old enough to know better:D:

ROCK6

·
Part of the food chain
1,070 Posts
If you can get your hands on one, the Bundeswehr "German Army" Sleeping Pad folds up and can be used as a back rest, sitting pad and cushions the back of your kit bag. Worth a punt.

·
Registered
6,280 Posts
If you can get your hands on one, the Bundeswehr "German Army" Sleeping Pad folds up and can be used as a back rest, sitting pad and cushions the back of your kit bag. Worth a punt.
Interesting. I'm working with a predominantly German unit, I'll have to ask:D:

ROCK6

·
Fenced In
3,251 Posts
I started out with an Army surplus pad, switched to a self-inflating one that didn't really like to inflate, and more recently with one (I forget the brand) that is like the Army pad but made of a somewhat different material. It worked great on a fall camping trip in northern Minnesota about this time last year, and I'm taking it on another trip in a couple of weeks. I do also bring a "sport tarp" to put under the tent, so that helps.

·
MTMO
114 Posts
I have used many pads over the years. I started out with the green GI, went to self inflating, and ended up with an inflatable insulated pad from big agnes. It weighs next to nothing, it packs about the size of a coke can.

It is insulated enough to keep the cold off me, and comfort can be adjusted by changing pressure. My sleeping bag has a pouch in it where the pad slides in. That way I don't slip off it.

I have used this pad down to 10 below and it works great.

Yes, I have to blow it up, but it does not take long at all. overall thickness is about 3 to 3.5 inches.

·
Registered
4,331 Posts
Not the inflatable, but the military surplus foam sleeping pads, how good are they?

I have several self-inflating sleeping pads, but to reduce weight and to make setting up camp faster, or faster taking down camp, I was looking at some of the foam sleeping pads on Ebay.

alleghenyoutlet has some sleeping pads for $5.90 + $12.76 shipping.

I thought about ordering one just to try it out.

So, are they any good?
for insultation they are good for comfort they are not. that said the army uses thermarest inflatable sleeping pads now a lot more comfortable
Interesting. I'm working with a predominantly German unit, I'll have to ask:D:

ROCK6
they are not that great they work but are not exactly comfortable. if you rock a BW rucksack they double as the internal support for the pack

if you want kinda an idea bout em heres the best vid I could find quickly
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=tt73607Z-_g

·
Registered
299 Posts
Quote:
"How good are military surplus sleeping pads?"

They are good for a ground cover for your yoga matt or other type matt that's it.
Tho the mil-surp pad is lighter than my exercise/yoga matt and is better than sleeping on the ground but not by much.

I currently rock the Klymit Static V.

It's light, inflates/deflates fast, pretty comfortable and packs small.

1 - 20 of 32 Posts