Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I was thinking the other day in a TEOTWAWKI scenario how far would I go to protect my family or those I care about? I think of the some of the most hair raising and heroic survival stories I have come across and two that really hit home me are one of the sailor on the whale ship Essex who shot himself so his fellow sailors would live. They had to eat him to prevent from starving to death. Pretty horrific story. The other of either a young solider or marine in Iraq who threw himself on a grenade to protect his fellow brothers in arms.

These stories and others impress upon on me how far people at times are willing to go to save those they care about. I don't know if I would have the courage displayed in the above examples, however I would like to think that if needed I may.

Interested in the opinions of others.

EDIT: Sorry, I was not meaning literal distance. I mean what would you be willing to sacrifice to save those you care about.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,539 Posts
HOW MANY people do I have to kill?

That pretty much says how I protect family.

That said, I have a kid who lives down state from me. He is over 200 miles away. To get there I would have to travel though the 2nd largest city in the state with all the assorted critters and such and half the way there would be heavy with people. Just gas expenditure alone for any of my bigger trucks would be 35-40 gallons. Even if you make it there and back without casualties, is it worth it or not?

40 gallons of gas means 280 hours of generator time on one of the small generators.

Even in best of travel situations it means I am gone from my BOL/home for at least 10-12 hours,
and
if I lose control of that there is no reason to go back home.
And
other than the wife who has no appreciable combat training, there is no one to keep the castle secure.

That son knows he is responsible for making it home.

NO suicide runs.

If I could borrow a plane and get them, then might try it. BUT, no other way.

If they can get close I can go junk yard dog, but not long range.

The other son can walk here in 3 days if he has to, but he is only 80 miles away and I taught him about driving on the top half of his gas tank a long time ago.

·
Premium Member
759 Posts
NW Guy, I don't think the OP meant literal distance.

It's a really great question. I don't think any of us can answer it honestly, until the moment arrives. Then you will go/no go, based on qualities you can't know you possess ahead of time.

Possibly an outdated, sexist/misogynistic take: man's primary purpose here on God's green earth is to protect and care for woman and children if and when they need it. So my mindset is to be ready to do that, whatever the personal outcome. Will I follow though in a life or death situation? No way to know until it happens.

·
Museum Piece
312 Posts
God says we can not murder. One of teh commandments: "Thou shall not murder"

About those that are about to do harm to you and yours. Kill them dead.

We have food bags to give out. The card in them say, this is free food to get you on your way. If you return, this will be the end of the line.

Do not confuse generosity for stupidity.

I kilt men when I was a teenager, Now that I am old, I am way more proficient at it.

·
Don't fear the Reaper
1,526 Posts
Tough question. Very sensitive.

Another facet of this question is how much do you value your life? Is yours 'worth' more than someone elses? Who has the most people reliant upon them? Who is the least usable, or important? Who is reliable in life or death situation? Who is a coward and cannot be relied upon? Has anyone contributed to an unnecessary death? Or has anyone proven they have great potential?

I will say that while my life does have meaning to me, and I have a few people reliant upon me, I don't particularly value my life that much. I'm not suicidal but I would like to think in the heat of the moment while some life or death situation is playing out, I'd use myself so that someone younger, with less physical damage and 'worth' more, with more potential, could live.

But I also agree that no one knows how they will react until the moment is upon them. Could I kill someone? Of that, I have no doubt, if they were trying to kill someone I loved. Could I kill myself so that someone else could live? I'd hope so, if it meant the other would go on to have a happy productive life.

·
Nunquam Non Paratus
1,527 Posts
I was thinking the other day in a TEOTWAWKI scenario how far would I go to protect my family or those I care about? I think of the some of the most hair raising and heroic survival stories I have come across and two that really hit home me are one of the sailor on the whale ship Essex who shot himself so his fellow sailors would live. They had to eat him to prevent from starving to death. Pretty horrific story. The other of either a young solider or marine in Iraq who threw himself on a grenade to protect his fellow brothers in arms.
Good question. My daughter said to me a couple of weeks ago that she doesn't think I'm scared of anything. I told her the only things that really scares me anymore is not being there when my family really needs me, or not providing some guidance or tools that would help them.

As for the Marine who threw himself on the grenade, there have been several, but you are likely talking about Kyle Carpenter who received the Medal of Honor. He wrote a very good book about how it happened, his recovery, and how it affected him. It is a really good read. It's called, "You are worth it: Building a life worth fighting for." General Mattis said about the book, "The youngest living Medal of Honor recipient delivers an unforgettable memoir that will inspire every reader."

https://smile.amazon.com/You-Are-Wo...1583103222&sprefix=kyle+carpen,aps,279&sr=8-2

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,539 Posts
NW Guy, I don't think the OP meant literal distance.

It's a really great question. I don't think any of us can answer it honestly, until the moment arrives. Then you will go/no go, based on qualities you can't know you possess ahead of time.

Possibly an outdated, sexist/misogynistic take: man's primary purpose here on God's green earth is to protect and care for woman and children if and when they need it. So my mindset is to be ready to do that, whatever the personal outcome. Will I follow though in a life or death situation? No way to know until it happens.
I DIDN'T take it that way.
I was explaining while I would kill for my family I would not suicide for my son, his wife and 2 kids at the expense of all the others and our security.
It wasn't a distance statement.
It was a limitation to what I would do for them.

If the one in the south end of the state gets north of the madness and gets within 50 miles, I will roll out a heavy truck an go get them with better than even odds of making it. But I would never try to do that over such long distance. First they have to save themselves before I can do the rest.

·
Registered
2,442 Posts
Honestly, I would absolutely anything needed to keep my children safe. My wife died 5 years ago June. I stopped almost everything risky when she got sick knowing I am all they have left. No motorcycles, no speeding, no drinking, plan to not leave the house for months if needed, plan to bury the bodies of those who would try to hurt them. Had an incident where a “do gooder “ called the police saying a relative on my wife side was being inappropriate with my kids. Before people were interviewed I had a location, equipment, and friends to make him disappear. Hash to say but if the rest of the family doesn’t meet up at my bug in or bug out locations I won’t be going after them unless I know it will be successful.

·
In Memory
10,935 Posts
Anyone attempting to harm or kill my wife, children, grand-children or great-grand-children would have to go through me 1st.

I may be old/feeble & one foot in the grave, but I can still shoulder a weapon & hit whatever I target.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Interesting replies. I have to admit they give me a bit of hope that no matter what people want to do the right thing.

·
Registered
567 Posts
kinda depends, any of my kids I'd charge hell with half a glass of water to keep them alive,my lady friend or her daughter same thing,my mother as terrible as it sounds I'd do anything within reason (she has alzhiemers and wouldnt know whats going on anyway) but wouldnt risk my life, not that I think my life worth more then moms,but i do think my life could very well keep my kids alive so not going to waist my life on someone thats in 90's and wouldnt know WTH going on anyway,sounds cold and cruel and thinking about it makes me sick to my stomach,just honest answer

·
Banned
9,587 Posts
Everyone is pretty much willing to kill someone else.

I think what the OP was getting at was wether people would kill themselves to save their family, ie, like the example's he gave

I think of the some of the most hair raising and heroic survival stories I have come across and two that really hit home me are one of the sailor on the whale ship Essex who shot himself so his fellow sailors would live. They had to eat him to prevent from starving to death. Pretty horrific story. The other of either a young solider or marine in Iraq who threw himself on a grenade to protect his fellow brothers in arms.

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #17

I think what the OP was getting at was wether people would kill themselves to save their family, ie, like the example's he gave
Yes this. Sacrificing our lives to save another has to be one of, if not the most selfless act a person can perform IMO.

·
Born 120 years too late.
4,539 Posts

WELL...
I thought the whole idea of having gone through all our life experiences was so we would have the knowledge and ability to NOT get into that situation where I have to jump on a grenade. I used my skills and abilities when in bloodletting land to NEVER get into that kind of situation if it was under my power.

OK..
now time to really get cold hearted and analytic and right down to it.

I am 71 years old. Even at this age I would have to say my ability to bring harm is still a fair piece better than the average person, simply because I have let blood in my life and have done 30 years of street fighting experience to fall back on. For my family group if they can all make it.. there will be no doubt I will be the most deadly skilled and dangerous person and the one most likely to keep everyone safe.

NOW

Say a 3 year old toddler gets out into the danger zone before anyone notices. There is rough cover but no guarantees of any kind. Previous combat actions make no doubt the area is covered by hostile forces. So, the odds are anyone going to rescue the toddler will probably be shot, probably killed.

While my heart looks to my grandchild and says I need to protect.. And I would be the best choice to go on the rescue because I have engaged in running gun fights in my life... and MAYBE the others could provide some cover fire...
my head says IF I go out and get killed in a rescue attempt, what happens to the rest of the clan that has no where near my skills? If I go and do not come back will I be killing the rest of them?

I don't go.

1 - 20 of 26 Posts