Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I just finished reading the "Why does everyone assume gangs would rule?" thread. I'm curious how many think it's actually going to go this far.

My wife and I sat down last night and talked about this very thing - how far will it go?

She agrees with many of you that when the SHTF it's going to be total anarchy and chaos. I don't think it'll get that bad. For gangs to rule, there is NO organized government (fed OR local).

We live in the suburbs of one of the largest cities in Texas. I believe the good, moral, freedom lovin' people of Texas will not let the 'gangs' rule. Will there be riots - yes. Will there be an increase in crime - hell yes. Will mob rule - no.

One thing most preppers overlook is the American people. I'm not talking about the inner cities, I'm talking about your average Joe. We're a different kind of people. Look at 9/11. There were lines at every blood donation center across the nation that stretched in some cases for miles. Good people pull together when crisis hits in our country. Granted, that was a single incident and localized to three locations and a financial collapse or hyper-inflation scenario would be wide spread.

I guess I have more faith in my fellow Americans - scratch that... I have more faith in my fellow TEXANS.

All this being said. We're still storing food, guns&ammo, med supplies, and seeds. We've also got a 'get outta town' plan as well so we can bug out when needed. The key, I admit, is knowing WHEN to bug out.

·
Pray For Our Republic!!
283 Posts
Los Angeles - Rodney King riots...O.J. Simpson riots...Watts riots of '68...etc. I lived through all of those...there were areas of L.A. that even the cops wouldn't go. It took weeks (months?) to turn that around. I certainly think that mob rule is a problem and that is multiplied in areas where gangs are organized and armed.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
First... what is trolling? Sounds negative.

Second... I fully understand the level of chaos that would initially take over, RevTracy. I guess what I'm not on board with is the notion that it'll be MadMax in real life.

I'm specifically focused on the cities. If the trucking shuts down, or the financial system collapses, there will be about 3 days worth of food in all of the grocery stores and peoples pantries on average hold about 5days worth of food so after the initial run on the stores people will survive for about a week. Then it gets scary. Once food is gone, social mores and laws go out the window and survival takes over.

So I guess I am wondering how many of us think that there will be NO national guard, FEMA (yes, I know they're a joke lately), and NO ability by the government (local, state, or fed) to set up food supplies/rationing centers/etc.

·
Registered
8,163 Posts
One thing most preppers overlook is the American people. I'm not talking about the inner cities, I'm talking about your average Joe. We're a different kind of people. Look at 9/11. There were lines at every blood donation center across the nation that stretched in some cases for miles. Good people pull together when crisis hits in our country. Granted, that was a single incident and localized to three locations and a financial collapse or hyper-inflation scenario would be wide spread.

I guess I have more faith in my fellow Americans - scratch that... I have more faith in my fellow TEXANS.
How many crips in LA or illegals in H-town were standing in line to give blood on 9-11?

What I would do is go to this website: http://www.city-data.com/

Look up the town or county you live in. You will find all sorts of real-world stats about where you live, from the demographics of the people who live there to the crime rate (and how it compares to the US average of 300) and how that breaks down, to religious affiliation. You'll even find out how your town voted these last two go arounds.

It's always better to make decisions based on real world facts than assumptions about a nation that may have passed into extinction a half decade ago.

Crime here is already above the national average. In any sort of a sustained breakdown the inner city will spill out into the streets and there will be the sort of fighting you see in the streets in Syria on TV now.

·
I am Jody
2,203 Posts
I just finished reading the "Why does everyone assume gangs would rule?" thread. I'm curious how many think it's actually going to go this far.

My wife and I sat down last night and talked about this very thing - how far will it go?

She agrees with many of you that when the SHTF it's going to be total anarchy and chaos. I don't think it'll get that bad. For gangs to rule, there is NO organized government (fed OR local).

We live in the suburbs of one of the largest cities in Texas. I believe the good, moral, freedom lovin' people of Texas will not let the 'gangs' rule. Will there be riots - yes. Will there be an increase in crime - hell yes. Will mob rule - no.

All this being said. We're still storing food, guns&ammo, med supplies, and seeds. We've also got a 'get outta town' plan as well so we can bug out when needed. The key, I admit, is knowing WHEN to bug out.
I dont agree and I dont think your trolling!! Anyway, IMO I think the good people/Texans you refer to will go into hiding untli the dust settles.

·
Ooh, pancakes!
3,046 Posts
Make a ratio of armed & motivated gang members by number of armed and motivated good people. That should get close to giving you an answer. In rural areas that ratio will be low, maybe 1:10. In some of the places like Phoenix, Detroit, etc, it might be 3:1 or higher.

So in the rural areas, maybe 10% chance gangs will rule. In Detroit, 75% or more.

·
Registered
7,790 Posts
I have no need to review history involving anarchy .... I just read the weekend shooting toll come monday morning .... multiply that by a 1,000 or perhaps 5,000 and you start to get an idea .... it's a absolute jungle mentality for the inner city .... when that runs wild and slowly begins to invade the burbs ..... you don't want to be around and your women taken as sex slaves ....

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
It's always better to make decisions based on real world facts than assumptions about a nation that may have passed into extinction a half decade ago.
This makes me sad. I know how naive I sound but I guess I don't (want to) believe that the America I grew up in is gone. Guess I better face it - true or not.

Please don't hear me wrong. I'm not trying to downplay being prepared. Prepping is number ONE on my families to-do list. I have military, urban combat, and obviously lots of weapons training and I AM prepared to turn people away and protect my family at all costs. I guess I am finding it hard to believe that there aren't more people like I am (especially here in Texas) that would 'create' a protective and functioning environment for survival.

Again, I am not talking about the inner city and I'm not talking about the first 48 hours - 2 weeks of a collapse. I'm talking long term. I find it hard to believe that it would last more than a couple weeks to a month on the outside before order was established.

If the result of all this is the complete dismemberment of the American federal government and the inability of states governments to reform and take control then we have more to worry about then just storing food.

Whenever there is a lack of government order in a large society (think pre-nazi germany) a military component WILL take advantage and take over. The real fear for us all should be WHO will that military be and WHO will be in charge of them? No amount of prepping will prepare Americans for that short of planning for a fight - a big one.

·
Banned
215 Posts
I think you saying you live in the suburbs and then saying how gangs will not rules sums it up.

Gangs already do rule to some extent...as in, Would you feel comfortable walking in the ghetto at night without fear? Would you live in said ghetto without fear?

So by them changing how you would feel where the are grants them power in many ways.

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
If your trolling, your definitely gonna get a few bites. If your not trolling I'd go study some.
The urban dictionary defines trolling as such:

1. trolling

Being a prick on the internet because you can. Typically unleashing one or more cynical or sarcastic remarks on an innocent by-stander, because it's the internet and, hey, you can.

Sounds more like you than me. :)

·
Registered
65 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yes I live on the outskirts of San Antonio, TX - the seventh largest city in the USA.

I know about inner city crime - seen it first hand. I don't want to be anywhere near the city when this happens. I also know it will spill into the suburbs at some point and hope my families plan to bug out to our country BOL is adequate to get us out before this happens. If not, I'll do my best with my like minded neighbors and our small arsenal to hold back the hordes.

I guess my real question isn't how bad will it get but how long will it be that bad.

·
Registered
3,363 Posts
Most gang members are drug users. SHTF you'll have a starving, thirsty person suffering physical withdrawal. Place him on foot and he is not going to be going far. If things collapse to the point where there is no LEO, at least in the south it'll be mess with me and I'll kill you. By the time they wise up to the need to get food most of it will have been eaten (most people have less than a week). Reality is that they have the drugs so they will be getting high in the first few day after anything happens. Those who fear gangs of thugs riding through the suburbs in their lowriders have been unduly influenced by fiction both books and movies. Your biggest threat is most likely to be the jerk down the street not some inner city gangbanger.

·
Registered
4,638 Posts
Well said, seawind. I live in the city and I don't get all of this paranoia around gangs.

Gangs rule? What do they rule? They rule drug sales and prostitution but only among the lower rungs of the socioeconomic ladder. I have a hard time believing these people are going to become highly organized well trained soldiers once they run out of crack and meth. Give them a week or two and they'll become nothing more than desperate, ill-prepared, and entitled gun owners. In other words, they'll basically be indistinguishable from 50% of Americans.

·
Im still here surviving.
49 Posts
I live in a city outside the USA and despite our own disasters we did not have 1 report of Gang incidents. Any crime committed was opportunistic and generally by 2 or 3 individuals.

I understand that there is a great deal of difference between my own country and the US, mainly in that here we are not so heavily armed as you guys, but I believe "the average Joe" be they here or in the US are more community minded than many here give them credit for.

Having said that, I do agree because of your gun laws, the US over the years have created a situation that one day may come back and bite them in the bottom.

Living through a post disaster period anywhere in the world is hard and traumatic enough, doing it with fear and suspicion of your fellow man just seems crazy and does not bode well for any reconstruction or resurrection period.

Thank God I live in a country where some sanity rules in that we have gun laws that while they frustrate some, prevent the situation you guys now face.

·
Finish the game
1,861 Posts
Of course just my perspective, but I believe the biggest threat to the USA and the world (since we're all connected economically) is financial collapse. The USA is responsible for 25% of the global economy and when it fails, it will be catastrophic.

a couple of hundred years ago, this happened all the time and while this was not a fun thing to go through (government upheaval) most were self-sufficient and suffered little large scale affects.

This is no longer the case in the world we live in and the only recent example to look at is the USSR. It was bad (I know several people who personally experienced the collapse and there is good documentation on the events), but just think if the rest of the world had gone down at the same time; no aid, no place to escape to....just utter chaos.

This is what I'm preparing for. I don't think complete anarchy will last very long (couple of years at the most), but during that time, it's going to be truly ugly. It might not happen (I sure hope this is the case), but will all the reckless spending, borrowing and printing of money that's going on right now, the world cannot continue on its current path for very long in this manner (I'd say a couple of years max, before we fall off the cliff).

·
Registered
1,146 Posts
Most gang members are drug users. SHTF you'll have a starving, thirsty person suffering physical withdrawal. Place him on foot and he is not going to be going far. If things collapse to the point where there is no LEO, at least in the south it'll be mess with me and I'll kill you. By the time they wise up to the need to get food most of it will have been eaten (most people have less than a week). Reality is that they have the drugs so they will be getting high in the first few day after anything happens. Those who fear gangs of thugs riding through the suburbs in their lowriders have been unduly influenced by fiction both books and movies. Your biggest threat is most likely to be the jerk down the street not some inner city gangbanger.
Stats will also tell you that most violent crime is "like-on-like" and not interracial. Do I foresee violence if order breaks down? Sure. Do I see well organized gangs being the norm? Not outside of proscribed areas, no. Gangs may be well organized to run drugs, for example, but that's a specialized skill set that I doubt is going to lead to organized foraging in suburban areas. The fight to be the "alpha male" will thin the gang herds faster than I think we can imagine. Those that are left may be combatants, I hardly expect outstanding tactics and military discipline will be their strong suit. A few cheap pistols and a sawed off shotgun or two against my arsenal, preparation, and planning? It'll be interesting. "Pride goeth before the fall"...I have no pride...I have a plan...I suspect "they" will be full of pride and less well nourished than I am...I suspect they have no plan...

1 - 20 of 56 Posts