Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Swirl Herder
3,627 Posts
Beyond 500 yards.

The Eotech dot is only 1 MOA and it works at least as well as any iron sights - particularly as it gives a view under the target that most iron sight systems don't (which is handy if you underestimate the holdover and the round goes low).

The new EXPS3-2 and 3-4 give you other dots below the centre one. They are spaced to give you common longer range hold overs. If the round goes low, then you can use the dots to gauge by how much low and get the hold over right for the next round.

The main trick I found using Eotechs and Aimpoints at longer range was to run the dot brightness as low as you can and still see it - at those settings the dot seems the sharpest and works the best.

In the end, any unity optic is only limited by how well your eyes work. If you can see well enough to use irons, then an aimpoint or eotech will do at least as well and more likely better.

If your eyes aren't that good, then there is a world of magnified optics out there waiting for you to try them.

·
Swirl Herder
3,627 Posts
Current Eotech vs Aimpoint - is about swings and roundabouts.

Aimpoints have bigger parallax shift than current Eotechs.

If you do go the magnifier route, then the Eotech does have a more round/regular dot under magnification.

The Eotech works better with NV.

The Aimpoints have great battery life and are lighter/more compact.

I have used and like both a lot.

·
Semper Fi
8,662 Posts
Beyond 500 yards.

The Eotech dot is only 1 MOA and it works at least as well as any iron sights - particularly as it gives a view under the target that most iron sight systems don't (which is handy if you underestimate the holdover and the round goes low).

The new EXPS3-2 and 3-4 give you other dots below the centre one. They are spaced to give you common longer range hold overs. If the round goes low, then you can use the dots to gauge by how much low and get the hold over right for the next round.

The main trick I found using Eotechs and Aimpoints at longer range was to run the dot brightness as low as you can and still see it - at those settings the dot seems the sharpest and works the best.

In the end, any unity optic is only limited by how well your eyes work. If you can see well enough to use irons, then an aimpoint or eotech will do at least as well and more likely better.

If your eyes aren't that good, then there is a world of magnified optics out there waiting for you to try them.
I agree with all the above. Except I have the EXP2-2 (multiple dots but not NV compatible). My old eyes work much better with a multiplier added in now though. Just as while I used to be good with irons out to 1000 a scope is more my style now.

·
Registered
561 Posts
I don't want to hijack your thread, but the real question is how far can you ID your target with the naked eye? I have great vision and find it hard to recognize faces past 100yds and body figure/manurisms past 200yds on people that Im not expecting, but know who they are.

·
Registered
2,546 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I don't want to hijack your thread, but the real question is how far can you ID your target with the naked eye? I have great vision and find it hard to recognize faces past 100yds and body figure/manurisms past 200yds on people that Im not expecting, but know who they are.
Good point.

·
Swirl Herder
3,627 Posts
The practicality and need for personal identification is quite situational.

If we assume we need to see someones face to ensure they are a particular person before we shoot at them over an extended range - then that would require quite specific background/leadup to that situation.

It is probably more likely that you might be shooting at someone at long range almost entirely because they have shot at you. In such a case, and where you don't know them personally, PID may be irrelevent. Just the fact they are shooting at you (and give you cause to fear for your life) may be all the reason you need to shoot back.

In the end though and getting back to the subject of the thread, red dots are no worse than irons at PID anyway - and plenty of people are still happy carrying around iron sighted rifles.

·
Registered
763 Posts
I have a Mepro and I’ve only used it out to 200 yards. But I hit my steel plate effectively. Not the best choice

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Threepin'
4,012 Posts
Beyond 500 yards.

This. The donut of death is meant to be up close and personal. Out at the range I mostly am working within 50 with my 512 or XPS. Like the above poster said, you can take it out pretty far if you dial down brightness and have ok eyes. I can hit pretty reliably at up to 300 with my Aimpoints or EOTechs. Beyond that, it is a crapshoot.

Of course, the G33 changes that, and more magnified optics make those sorts of ranges just too easy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
729 Posts
Will also depend on lighting. Sunshine or none. Angle and towards you or from behind. I've made some long shots w/ iron sights but the sun was from behind lighting up the target.

Service Rifle and Palma guys (for competitive shooting) are probably the best example of reading targets at distance.

I digress. I know what you are saying. Just wanted to add the light component.

809 Posts
I've used an EOTech exactly once:

I made a hit at 300m with it that time though.

Still prefer Aimpoint.

·
American by Choice
555 Posts
I've used one on a beltfed 5.56mm out to 800-850 meters. It did ok, I was able to make hits, but obviously it had limitations at that range without the magnifier. Its vastly more useful under 500 meters or so.

Just my two cents. I'm no expert.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts