Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 36 Posts

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Last summer was feeling crazy enough to walk to a lake about 15 miles away, starting in what seemed the heat of the day 100 F but it was a dry heat at least. I took a hat with me to swat horse flies away and for some shade... 4hrs. to get there 6-7hrs to get back at 11:00 at night. I was somewhat unprepaired for the harsh reality of it all. About halfway there feet started to sweat alot and could feel calouses forming so took frequent breaks to air out and rest my feet. Found lots of blackberries on the roadside, ate as many as I could really picked me up even ran a bit on the downhills. Found a natural spring off the roadside too at the halfway point backtrip(amazing I didn't notice it before,guess I wasn't thirsty enough), very cool water drank as much as I could and cooled my feet for about half an hour on the way back. By sundown there was no moonlight at all just my luck, was kicking gravel in front of me hoping to ward off copperheads after awhile I didn't even care, for the last pitchblack mile on a country road way the hell out there. Feet were totally worn out moving on instinct the last mile, had almost completely stopped sweating about 3 miles back heat exhaution was probably creeping up on me. Took 3 days to recover from muscle fatigue probably from dehydration. As hard as it was I'll do it again it really makes you feel like you accomplished something. If you ever try something like this make sure you wear the right shoes socks and shorts, if you get callouses on your feet you are doomed, and if your shorts rub together between your thighs when they sweat you are doubly doomed.

·
One of the Frozen Chosen
250 Posts
The farthest that I have gone in one day is 32 miles, that was around Anchorage in about 14 hours, with several breaks. The farthest hike, with backpack and thru the woods was 16 miles, up and down a lot of big hills. Boy, that was fun...the best way that I found to rest is standing up with the pack resting against a tree or something, unless you are taking a full break then s-t-r-e-t-c-h out flat. The importance of the right socks and boots are soon made evident on a jaunt like that! And plenty of water. No copperheads to worry about, just had to make enough noise to warn bears and moose :) Oh and it was summer, doesn't get dark till about midnight-thirty...

·
Improvise Adapt Overcome!
12,005 Posts
I hiked Starved Rock from the West end, to the Visitor center and back. I think that is about 12 miles round trip. It is rough, very hilly terrain, and has many massive staircases to climb.

I did it with a fully loaded pack. I made it about 80% of the way back and decided to spend the night in a little sandstone cave.

·
Registered
1,241 Posts
The most I've walked in a day is about 16 miles and it was afternoon when I started.

There's a guy who hiked the Appalachian Trail averaging over 40 miles per day and that's every consecutive day for over 50 days in a row while carrying stuff.

·
Bail me out
398 Posts
I've walk 20 mi in a day for several yrs for march of dimes.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Gotta brag a bit:

Years ago, a group of people used to walk 100k in one day from Washington DC to Harper's Ferry. I think it was the Sierra Club? Dunno if they still do it.

I did it one spring. We trained for many weeks beforehand with walks ranging from 25 to 40 miles each Saturday. I did the 62.5 miles in 18 hrs.

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
25 miles.
Pack.
Rifle.
Helmet.
August '87 up the ankle breaker and it was frickin hot.

·
Registered
350 Posts
Well, I've hiked some pretty decent distances (about 15-18mi) in one day, however, the longest distance I ever walked in one day was about 25mi. It was in dress shoes, and a suit. I went out to an interview about 25mi away from my house in Los Angeles and due to an emergency, my father couldn't come pick me up, so I walked home. Took me about 5 hours, my feet were bleeding when I got home and my suit smelled like hell (was about 90* out at the time).

--Wintermute

·
Here's my safety Sir
14,678 Posts

·
Registered
7,224 Posts
Damn Sweeper....that means you almost qualify for the senior discount! :D:

·
Founder
16,867 Posts
About 13 miles on a day hike in Liberty Lake park, which is in Liberty Lake, Washington.

I started at the trail head, made the loop around the mountain. This was while my wife and her sister were at a local shopping mall. When I reached the trail head my wife was not finished with her shopping at the mall. So I just kept on walking and walked all the way home.

7 - 8 miles on the trail
4 - 5 miles on the road back to where my wife and I were staying in Liberty Lake.

·
Registered
4 Posts
If I recall correctly, the furthest I've walked/jogged in a day was about 18 mi/30 km in the Arizona desert in July while carrying a 45 lb rucksack. It was one of the required events to be awarded the German Armed Forces Badge in the Army. As I recall, I had properly hydrated the night before, so it wasn't too bad. My feet were sore for a day or two afterward, but I was awarded the GAFB, so I was happy.

·
Registered
8,228 Posts
when i was at fort bragg, we would run an easy day was 4 miles,average day we ran 6 miles, once a month we ran 10 miles. but you said walk so the most i would say was about 25-30 miles march with a rucksack (cramed full of gear and food & ammo), helmit, and rifle in hand.i know i couldnt do it now, there is no way. and i was in a noncombat unit i would expect our inf. to do much better specially the airborn inf. but that goes to show what our troops can do.bear that in mind

·
Permanently gone
1,720 Posts
Slacker here. 24 miles. 12 miles into town and then later, 12 miles back.
Wore me out...slept for 12 hours when I got back to camp.

·
Registered
959 Posts
jammieg...just think how fast the trip to the lake would have been if you had a bicycle.that trip would have been a hour...or there abouts.a bicycle would be a must if no petro was available and all we had was our feet.

i just walked about 7 miles the other day and made it in 5 hours in rough mountainuos terrain.now i am a fat man with multiple discs gone.i was beat the next day but was back out in the woods the 2nd day.i carried my 25lbish pack also.i needed a bit more water to drink than i had but i made it ok the way it was.10 miles is about tops for me and 25 pound pack for that distance.i can do more weight but not for a long ways do to a injury that will never heal.

·
PPG flyer
2,789 Posts
36 miles,was crying by the time I got back home

Reactions: Lamb

·
Registered
1,083 Posts
This past summer, after getting disgusted with myself for spending the last few years way over weight, I took off on a "walk". It was 102 that day, and I set out at 10am, and made it home around 3:00PM, logging about 15 miles.

I was wearing Merrill's walking shoes (built like long distance runners) and carried a Camelback with 100oz of water and several energy bars. I wore shorts, a tee, heavy socks and a hat.

The trail I hiked starts just down from the neighborhood I live in and winds through one of the flood control areas on the West side of Houston. The trail is at least 6 miles long, but ends about 8 miles from the house. So, not quite 2 miles to get to the trail, 6 miles to the other side of the trail and then 8 miles back home.

Here is what I experienced:

First 5 miles - no problems, kept up a regular routine of sipping water every 10 minutes. The camelback rode well on my back, shoes were good, feet good and back OK. Walked at a purposeful but comfortable gait.

Second 5 miles - still no problems, but feeling the heat. Clothes soaked, water holding out, ankles and mid back complaining. Sunburn on my neck starting to set in. Stopped for a rest in the shade after 2-1/2 hours. Ate 2 energy bars. Stopped at the end of the trail to recharge the water and drink a gatorade bought at the "stop and rob" near where the trail runs out.

Third 5 miles - definately over doing it, but have to finish the walk. Gait still strong, but feet, ankles, hips, lower and middle back complaining. Well sunburned now, and walking into the sun. Definately sucking harder on the water - taking bigger drinks more often - wondered if I would run out of water before getting home. Posture still OK, 'cause it hurt too damn much to slouch. Felt every fold and rub in my camel back, blisters starting on the feet.

Success, got in and laid down on the living room floor under the A/C duct, exhausted, for about 20 minutes. Drank some iced tea, went to take a cool shower and then spent the rest of the day couch potatoing. Dropped 8 to 10 pounds on that walk.

It was an enlightening experience. I have not repeated this walk but will this winter (now that I am 40 pounds lighter.)

1 - 20 of 36 Posts