Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 20 of 65 Posts

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
With the price of vegetables and fruit skyrocketing, and the risk of contamination from overseas produce rising, I was prompted by Dragon to start a thread on Gardening for us Australians and New zealanders
Wayne and I have a passion for gardening and growing fruit trees. Our three girls have a similar heart,but now they dont have a farm to grow what they like, rather, a tiny courtyard behind a townhouse.
whatever your area, circumstances and living environment, I know that growing vegetables is an achievable goal, assuming you have water containers, a patch of dirt and sunshine.
Some people have a green thumb, but most dont. We have to work a little harder than the gifted in producing a garden for self sufficiency.
The amount of different disesases, bugs and pests out there is a bit daunting too.
However, gardening teaches us the virtues of patience, and diligence, in a society of intsant gratification and throw away lifestyles.
Would you all consider contributing to this thread?
Explaining what you have growing and how?
Even if it is one tomato bush on your patio, I am sure we would be interested in how many tomatoes it produced, the flavour, the type of soil you grew it in.
We usually have a quarter acre paddock near our hay shed in vegies, but both our backs have stopped us this last month getting organised.
to overcome this I have planted vegies in amongst my house flower garden.
Still there is time however to become enthusiastic and get the vegies going for mid summer and Autumn.
Our fruit trees are good this year. No disease and loaded with luscious apricots,and peaches.
Has anyone got in Almond trees, our neighbour has one that is self pollinating and it is loaded too. Her four children love to see when their fruit is ready and harvest it for mum and dad(not much reaches the kitchen,!)
For those not interested in starting your own garden, it could be suggested you place some packets of seeds that are self pollinating in the back of your freezer,just incase there are shortages in the future of your favourite lettuce or zucchinni.
Look forward to hearing from you all....FW

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
I've got a baby Granny Smith Apple tree that is not producing yet. I have a potted lemon tree that is also not producing yet. There's a mature pecan tree that tends to fill up 4 grocery bags full of pecans. I also have two little pots of Rosemary. In the spring I plan to add some squash, some blackberries, peppers, and some lavender. If that all works out, then I may add other things, but I'd like to start with small goals.

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
alot can be done with a granny smith and a lemon tree.Lemons are so important for our health as well as many other things such as cleaning agents.Our granny smith took four years from planting to produce a crop, but now we have a bounty when it is late autumn.
I wish you the best with the rest of your planting Penny.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Ive got two pecan trees that crop very well, problem is the ferral rats from the other commercial orchards in the area usually get most of them in the trees.
Can't use poisens for the safety of my grand children and dogs. Traps haven't been very successful.
Any ideas please?

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Penny,
just wondering if it needs a pollinater, some types of apples do I believe, not sure on granny smiths.
Lavender is an alternative herbal remedy for people with high blood pressure problems so my wife tells me.

Reactions: Penny

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
I,ll ask hubby when he is in about the rat problem, we do tend to use the rat poisons, but leave them high up.We dont have grandchildren around though.
What about rabbit traps with some bait ? I must admit we caught a big ferral cat last week, because it was hassling our three and claiming the territory.We heard the trap go at 11 pm and Wayne immediately finished the job. I might offend some, but I am concerned when other wild animals etc eat my livelihood, or pick on our animals.
Just had another thought.
I have heard some people place chilli powder on fenceposts to stop horses eating at the timber.I have heard you put it on eggs stop the chooks eating them,and on numerous other things. I wonder if you could put some on some of the pecan nuts to stop the rats?
Also, Penny, we have a red delicious to pollinate our granny,depends on whether there are other apples around to swap pollin

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Have thought about rabbit traps, but a risk to my dogs.
Would a wide metal colar around the main trunk of the tree work?

·
Mother of One.
234 Posts
Thanks for the support on the garden guys. I used to help out with my mom's and my godmothers, but just barely got one started at my place this spring. It's been pretty fun so far.

I read up on the Granny Smiths and was also told by the nursery owner that I did not need a pollinator. The only reason it isn't producing is because it's still a baby tree. I just planted it earlier this year. It was kind of a little project for me and the kiddo. I read her The Giving Tree (Even though she's too young to understand it.) and then she got to watch me dig up the ground and plant it for her. I tried to give her a handful of dirt to put in too, but she tried to eat it. :rofl:

Oh hey... I just realized I'm in the Australian section... my bad. I'm in the U.S. Oops!

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
I forgot to mention, we have a cage to place our cats, about 6x6 and the 5 dogs are tied up when Wayne sets traps around.Plus...we try to do it when we know they are around,feedtime ,then set them off until next time.I have heard people placing metals wrappings around the bases of trees,be interesting to know how successful that is because it saves alot of hassle.

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
FW.
I guess it would have the same effect as the ones that are wrapped around power poles.
Have to give it a go, the trees are in bloom now, so will attempt it soon.
I believe the old style metal jaw rabbit traps have been banned here, but the new type have rubber lined jaws, particularly for the dingo and wild dog problems.
Have you checked your message inbox, it appears to have reached its limit?
Tried to send you one yesterday, but said it would not accept it due to it being at max limit.

Reactions: farmerswife

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
Fruit Trees

Here are some pics of the fruit trees we have.
All of these trees have native moss growing on them including the occasional green frog. Very clean environment at 760 meters above sea level.
Plenty of vitamin C here, more fruit than we can use, so maybe good barter items.
Pic #1 Pecan trees, two of them, one a pollinator for the other.
Pic #2 Manderine tree, heavy cropping.
Pic #3 Cherry Guarva tree, heavy cropping for most of the year.
Pic #4 Left is a grapefruit tree, next on the right is a navel orange tree both very heavy cropping.
Pic #5 This is what we call a bush lemon tree, very hardy and a heavy cropper.
Pic #6 The fruit trees to the left are blood plum trees which are heavy in crop at the moment, harvesting and drying the fruit.
Pic #7 A comquat tree in the foreground, a real zing to the throat.
the tree to the left is a lemonade tree, and to the right of that unseen in the Pics are two more orange trees, all heavy cropping.
All of the citrus have fruit set on them, looks like another good season if the summer isn't too hot.
Pic #8 The blood plums we are harvesting for drying.
Pic #9 Dried blood plums, these will be vac sealed.
Pic #10 Ah yes, the bandit dog. She is about 12 months old, very effectionate, loves kids, aaaand my sweet potatoes. The score, the dog all of them, thedragon none.
Great survival dog, eats anything.

Attachments

·
Registered
1,407 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Wow, Dragon, that was great.So you have a vacuum seal?Your lawn looks lovely with the green tinge,are these pictures after some rain?
Wayne and I LOVE blood plums and prunes.
Has anyone else got some nice pictures of their garden or herbs or fruit,or ALL?

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Ive got two pecan trees that crop very well, problem is the ferral rats from the other commercial orchards in the area usually get most of them in the trees.
Can't use poisens for the safety of my grand children and dogs. Traps haven't been very successful.
Any ideas please?
SNAKES, catch non venomous snakes and bring em home!

·
Registered
18,814 Posts
Thanks for the support on the garden guys. I used to help out with my mom's and my godmothers, but just barely got one started at my place this spring. It's been pretty fun so far.

I read up on the Granny Smiths and was also told by the nursery owner that I did not need a pollinator. The only reason it isn't producing is because it's still a baby tree. I just planted it earlier this year. It was kind of a little project for me and the kiddo. I read her The Giving Tree (Even though she's too young to understand it.) and then she got to watch me dig up the ground and plant it for her. I tried to give her a handful of dirt to put in too, but she tried to eat it. :rofl:

Oh hey... I just realized I'm in the Australian section... my bad. I'm in the U.S. Oops!
mmmmm Caramel covered GrannySmiths with crushed Pecans,,, did you say the tree was producing this year? what was your address again???:thumb:

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
We have had some good rain here, although a green drought, subsoil moisture is very dry.
The blood plums seem to be less suseptable to fruit fly, which infests this area.
Did have other stone fruit trees, peaches, nectarines and peacherines.
Didn't get one mature crop off them in ten years, due to fruit fly, birds and bats.
Looking at some other types of fruit trees at the moment, have planted more citrus this year.
Refuse to use toxic chemical sprays for fruit fly, so looking at alternative solutions to this.

Reactions: farmerswife

·
Registered
413 Posts
Reading this thread makes me wish we could move back to Aus. We were looking at property prices last night and unfortunately moving home would be financial suicide. I can't believe how expensive good land has become in the last 5-10 years. :( How do ordinary people afford it? Interests rates are way high as well.

So can I ask where you guys live, approximately?

·
AKA The Dragon
2,818 Posts
We live about 40 Km north of Toowoomba in a rural community, commercial fruit orchards, flower farms, dairy and beef cattle, pig and poultry farms, timber plantations.
Rural land prices are very expensive, even though most experience water problems.
The place where we live is a small village with a population of about 1000 people.

1 - 20 of 65 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.