Survivalist Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Anyone?
3,673 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just got a disc for my JD 1020.
It's a 6ft 2 row, discs are about 12 or 14"

Used it today to prepare ground for fall forage crops - a bit confused.

First off, I was really surprised to find that it only turned over about 3 inches of soil. I was just spreading oats, so I thought discing would be enough, but 3 inches seemed a bit shallow.

So that makes me think I have the setup wrong - either that, or my tractor hydraulics have a problem - either that, or I really needed to plow first. Ground had just been bush hogged and was pretty weedy and hadn't been touched for about a year.

First question: Does a disc work by weight alone, or should the hydraulics be "pressing down" on the implement?

Second question: Can hydraulics apply downward pressure? Mine only seems to lift under power and fall under the weight of the implement. Is this a function of the setup of the arms?

Third: Can someone give me general instructions for setting up a disc (i.e. bottom arms parallel to the ground... etc.)

THANKS in advance.

·
Registered
2,665 Posts
the more inline the disc the shallower they will go. more angle you put on them the more they turn. but a disc is not a plow. they are not meant to turn over 10" of ground. 3" will allow a seed to sprout. you have the rest correct. we put a 500# piece of steel on ours cause our ground is hard.

·
Bravo Zulu
13,133 Posts
Second question: Can hydraulics apply downward pressure? Mine only seems to lift under power and fall under the weight of the implement. Is this a function of the setup of the arms?
Hydraulics can apply downward pressure, but most tractors aren't set up for that.

More of an angle will provide a deeper cut, but so will more weight. Disc harrows aren't designed for deep plowing.

http://smallfarmersjournal.com/disc-harrow-requirements

1 - 4 of 4 Posts