Survivalist Forum banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Founder
16,869 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
How do "you" remove a tick? Some people use a lighter, or something hot to burn the tick off, some people use a lasso, some people use tweezers.

Personally I like the tweezers. But after using a tick removal lasso it seems pretty nice. For those of you that have never used a lasso, its a tick removal tool that uses something like dental floss to go between the ticks body and the victims flesh. The lasso is twisted and the ticks head pops out.

·
Registered
243 Posts
Kev,

I have always used a hot needle myself.

Also--I have never tried this next technique myself, but, for what it's worth--I have heard of people saturating the tick with Vaseline Petroleum Jelly and letting it set for a bit. The Vaseline is supposed to suffocate the tick and thus make it easier to dislodge. It might be worth a try before more drastic measures are used.

·
Never Give up
7,579 Posts
Canola oil

I pour canola oil over it they cant breath and back out on there own no chance of head breaking off.

·
RockOut w/ your GlockOut
745 Posts
I always struck a match, blew it out, and stuck it to its head.
We used to use this method along w/ twisting them counter clockwise. After speaking to the local Vet. and Doc., we just pluck them out as soon as possible w/o squeezing excessively. If there is any thing left, pick it out as best as possible, sterilize and move on.

The more you mess w/ them, the more time they have to regurgitate disease and illness in to your body.

·
Doomsayer
4,048 Posts
It is my understanding that just 'plucking' them can leave the head in, which can fester and get infected.

Sticking a hot match to the back of the head makes them relax and slide right out.

·
Registered
149 Posts
I use rubbing alcohol on them. They just start suffocating, pull their heads out, and die. Then put on more alcohol just in case.

·
This site Sucks
831 Posts
Here in KY we get covered up with ticks. I have tried the vaseline thing and it dont work. If you get covered up with seed ticks you can use a scotchbrite pad (like used to clean kitchen sinks) and scrub yourself in the shower then use bleach to kill the ones that don't come off. Bleach bath is also good to kill poison ivy. The big deer ticks or dog ticks I just use tweezers and pick them off using a scraping motion from the rear towards the buried head.

·
A country boy can survive
336 Posts
You absolutely DO NOT want to burn them off or squeeze them. This will make the tick empty its stomach contents which is what carries LYME DISEASE. The best way is to grab the head with fine tweezers and gently pull. If the head breaks off, you will want to pick as much out as you can and then rub the area with alcohol. Wash the area often and keep rubbing it with alcohol. (If the area turns red or swells get to a doctor fast!)

Prevention is the best course. Use a good bug spray, tuck in your pant legs, don't wear white socks, and shower as soon as you can. Studies have shown that it takes about four hours for a tick to transfer lyme to its host. Get them off before then and you will greatly lower your chances of infection. Avoid areas of high grass, mats of pine straw, and game trails.

We have more than our share here in North Carolina. Fortunately, I am one of those people who the ticks don't like. They just will not bite me. Few people spend as much time in the woods as I do, and I have never had one bite me.

T2E

·
*** Forgives, I don't
1,369 Posts
If you're going in the woods, eat some garlic. This also keeps 'skeeters away. A hot match will loosen the critter up so it can be gently pulled off, then kill it.

·
Registered
4,732 Posts
A little oil from the dipstick of the truck placed on them pesky critters has served our family Dog well when when in Eastern WA.

·
AAAH GET TO ZE CHOPPA!
1,554 Posts
KILL IT WITH FIRE!!

I will use whatever gets the job done for that particular tick. Tweezers if I can yank em out, but I've found the match head thing effective as well. Never heard of bleach or rubbing alcohol, but those are good ideas.

ALWAYS kill any ticks you find on you. I remember hiking up a trail and feeling something hit my leg as I passed a certain rock. It was a tick- that time I just brushed it off. On the return trip, when passing that same rock I felt something hit my leg again- I am convinced that was the same tick. I burned the little sucker that time...

1 - 20 of 50 Posts